Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Default KDE Programs Naming Convention

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That's a start. Seriously, if you identify the offensive sentence I'd
> like to know. Truth is, my bluntness and non-sugar coating of thoughts
> has offended people in the past. If I can know what is considered
> offensive in English writing then I can learn to sugar-coat my ideas
> such that they will not offend.

It's not an offensive sentence so much as an offensive comment in general, but
I genuinely don't understand why I feel such a visceral reaction. I can't
disagree that people in my country generally have no idea what names mean.
Why, a lot of them can't even spell names correctly, and you have to look no
further than my own father for that one. He named me, but can never remember
if it's Micheal or Michael. (The disturbing thing is that Micheal isn't
showing up in red, so there must be a lot of guys out there named Micheal,
probably with sisters named Rene่.)

I know what my names mean, and lot of other related linguistic trivia, but I
am definitely not a typical American. I know that to be true because I can
think back on a lifetime of having beautiful women dismiss me with a "You're
weird."

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > That's a start. Seriously, if you identify the offensive sentence I'd
> > like to know. Truth is, my bluntness and non-sugar coating of thoughts
> > has offended people in the past. If I can know what is considered
> > offensive in English writing then I can learn to sugar-coat my ideas
> > such that they will not offend.
>
> It's not an offensive sentence so much as an offensive comment in general, but
> I genuinely don't understand why I feel such a visceral reaction. I can't
> disagree that people in my country generally have no idea what names mean.
> Why, a lot of them can't even spell names correctly, and you have to look no
> further than my own father for that one. He named me, but can never remember
> if it's Micheal or Michael. (The disturbing thing is that Micheal isn't
> showing up in red, so there must be a lot of guys out there named Micheal,
> probably with sisters named Reneรจ.)

Micheal / Michael is easy to remember. It obviously ends in "-el", as
"el" means God in Hebrew. So all names such as Daniel, Israel,
Michael, and so forth refer to God. If you say the name in parts "Mi
Ka El" it means "Who is like God?":
Mi: who
Ka: is like
El: God

Explain it to your dad that way, see if he remembers now.

> I know what my names mean, and lot of other related linguistic trivia, but I
> am definitely not a typical American. I know that to be true because I can
> think back on a lifetime of having beautiful women dismiss me with a "You're
> weird."

I think that's about par for a Linux list subscriber. (no offense )

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Donn

> Mi: who
> Ka: is like
> El: God
Interesting. He's very like God in that he has the instinct to smite. Calm
down Mike -- I jest !

What does "Dotan" mean?

My own name is a mystery to me. My Grandfather is "Don" so I guess they tacked
another 'n' onto mine Am I supposed to call my (never to be)
son "Donnn"

I reckon you are right about meanings of names being largely unknown, but
isn't that a general observation about *all* words? Etymology requires study
and speciality and the "rest" of us just get along in meme-land. I know I
have quite a store of computer-words(names) in my head, but that's just the
geek in me

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mi: who
> > Ka: is like
> > El: God
> Interesting. He's very like God in that he has the instinct to smite. Calm
> down Mike -- I jest !
>
> What does "Dotan" mean?

It is the name of a valley in northern Israel, just south of today's Afula.

> My own name is a mystery to me. My Grandfather is "Don" so I guess they tacked
> another 'n' onto mine Am I supposed to call my (never to be)
> son "Donnn"
>
> I reckon you are right about meanings of names being largely unknown, but
> isn't that a general observation about *all* words? Etymology requires study
> and speciality and the "rest" of us just get along in meme-land. I know I
> have quite a store of computer-words(names) in my head, but that's just the
> geek in me

I would prefer that those who find that they do not know the meanings
of their names, or the names of their places of residence, answer
that. I believe that it is cultural, and in English (not only
American) it is doubly compounded as the place names often come from
different languages. Are there any Brits who could elaborate on the
name London, for instance (without going to wikipedia)? I may have
been insensitive to that as in Israel, most of the places have Hebrew,
Arabic, or other Semetic names, which are still partially decypherable
in everyday speech.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Donn

> > What does "Dotan" mean?
> It is the name of a valley in northern Israel, just south of today's Afula.
Being a name of some other place is not the same as 'meaning'. Or am I wrong?

> I would prefer that those who find that they do not know the meanings
> of their names, or the names of their places of residence, answer
> that.
Oh, I wasn't asking, just observing my ignorance.

> in Israel, most of the places have Hebrew,
> Arabic, or other Semetic names, which are still partially decypherable
> in everyday speech.
That's another good point - English stems from a milkshake of older languages
and we (I speak of my generation in South Africa) sure as heck did not learn
Latin in school, and that's a huge disconnect as far as language goes. I
think people in Europe and places that still speak "old" languages (or modern
ones with a direct person-to-person link back in time) have an advantage as
far as meaning/interpretation goes.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
"Martin Walshe"

On Jan 13, 2008 10:01 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Are there any Brits who could elaborate on the
name London, for instance (without going to wikipedia)? I may have
been insensitive to that as in Israel, most of the places have Hebrew,
Arabic, or other Semetic names, which are still partially decypherable

in everyday speech.
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

Im not British so i cheated a little (im Irish) and from reading the Wiki page about London im not sure if anyone really knows where the name comes from or what it means.

Part of the problem is alot of names may come from latin which not many people speak.
Or in Ireland come from Irish/Gaelic which also not many speak either.

Marty.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Graham

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:01:17 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any Brits who could elaborate on the
> name London, for instance (without going to wikipedia)? I may have
> been insensitive to that as in Israel, most of the places have Hebrew,
> Arabic, or other Semetic names, which are still partially decypherable
> in everyday speech.
[snipped]

Certainly. As a Brit, we were always told at school that the name
comes from the Roman name for the Roman settlement on the River Thames
- Londinium.

--

Graham Todd

Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Graham

Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
"Martin Walshe"

On Jan 13, 2008 11:52 AM, Graham <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:

Certainly. *As a Brit, we were always told at school that the name
comes from the Roman name for the Roman settlement on the River Thames
- Londinium.

Have a read of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Etymology

Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 13/01/2008, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What does "Dotan" mean?
> > It is the name of a valley in northern Israel, just south of today's Afula.
> Being a name of some other place is not the same as 'meaning'. Or am I wrong?

You are right. The "do" I am not sure of (maybe "two") but the "tan"
probably refers to the animal, which is called in English hyena, and
frequents the area. So "Dotan" could be "two hyenas".

> > I would prefer that those who find that they do not know the meanings
> > of their names, or the names of their places of residence, answer
> > that.
> Oh, I wasn't asking, just observing my ignorance.

It would be interesting to know, if a bit OT for the Kubuntu list.

> > in Israel, most of the places have Hebrew,
> > Arabic, or other Semetic names, which are still partially decypherable
> > in everyday speech.
> That's another good point - English stems from a milkshake of older languages
> and we (I speak of my generation in South Africa) sure as heck did not learn
> Latin in school, and that's a huge disconnect as far as language goes. I
> think people in Europe and places that still speak "old" languages (or modern
> ones with a direct person-to-person link back in time) have an advantage as
> far as meaning/interpretation goes.

I know of at least one Latin speaker in attendance of this thread.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.