Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default Disable laptop touchpad

On Monday 01 February 2010, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > If that is a synaptics touchpad, check dmesg to see how it signs
> > in, there is a utility by the same name that sits in the dock
> > that can enable or disable that touchpad. First thing I
> > install after a fresh install on my lappy.
>
> Just out of complete and utter curiosity, why do you guys need to
> do this at all. I mostly use an external USB mouse as well with
> my laptop, but I have never disabled the touchpad. It is
> convenient for the 1% of the time I don't have the external
> mouse. I've never had any sort of issue with both active at once
> so I'm just curious as to why all the effort to turn it off ...

If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
get out of hand.

--Reinhold

Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Chris Jones

> If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
> position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
> Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
> get out of hand.

Can't say that has ever happened to me... Probably depends on where the
pad is though. My is in the centre of the machine, and so my hands
nicely fit either side...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Neil Winchurst

Mike McGinn wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2010 10:57:34 Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
>> touchpad. Have you checked there?
>>
>> / Jonas
>>
> This works for me:
> synclient TouchpadOff=1

Well, I have finally managed to get SHMConfig enabled. Now your idea
works. The touchpad is disabled. Hooray.

So now, two questions.

1 How do I re-enable it please?

2 Do I have to run this every time to disable it?

Thanks for your help

Neil

Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Neil Winchurst

Chris Jones wrote:
>> If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
>> position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
>> Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
>> get out of hand.
>
> Can't say that has ever happened to me... Probably depends on where the
> pad is though. My is in the centre of the machine, and so my hands
> nicely fit either side...

I think it must depend on how you type. Perhaps I should mention again
that my laptop was a gift, and that I have never used one before, even
though I have worked with computers for more years than I care to remember.

When working with the laptop I found that the cursor kept disappearing
or appearing in the wrong place. This was a pain. Now I have managed to
get it turned off it is much less of a pain.

Neil

Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Montag 01 Februar 2010 schrieb Neil Winchurst:
> Mike McGinn wrote:
> > On Monday 01 February 2010 10:57:34 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> >> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
> >> touchpad. Have you checked there?
> >>
> >> / Jonas
> >
> > This works for me:
> > synclient TouchpadOff=1
>
> Well, I have finally managed to get SHMConfig enabled. Now your
> idea works. The touchpad is disabled. Hooray.
>
> So now, two questions.
>
> 1 How do I re-enable it please?
>
> 2 Do I have to run this every time to disable it?
>
> Thanks for your help

re-enable: TouchpadOff=0 :-P

I've written a little script which I call through a keyboard
shortcut:

#!/bin/bash
state=$(synclient -l | grep -i 'TouchpadOff')
state=${state: -1}
case ${state} in
'1') synclient 'TouchpadOff=0';;
*) synclient 'TouchpadOff=1';;
esac

It's quick'n'dirty, but does the job...

--Reinhold

Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Mike McGinn

On Monday 01 February 2010 12:30:57 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Mike McGinn wrote:
> > On Monday 01 February 2010 10:57:34 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> >> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
> >> touchpad. Have you checked there?
> >>
> >> / Jonas
> >
> > This works for me:
> > synclient TouchpadOff=1
>
> Well, I have finally managed to get SHMConfig enabled. Now your idea
> works. The touchpad is disabled. Hooray.
>
> So now, two questions.
>
> 1 How do I re-enable it please?
>
> 2 Do I have to run this every time to disable it?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Neil

Happy to help.
You reenable it with "synclient TouchpadOff=0"
Since I use KDE, I have "synclient TouchpadOff=1" set to run at KDE startup
when I log in.

Mike
--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Montag 01 Februar 2010 schrieb Chris Jones:
> > If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
> > position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
> > Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can
> > *really* get out of hand.
>
> Can't say that has ever happened to me... Probably depends on
> where the pad is though. My is in the centre of the machine, and
> so my hands nicely fit either side...

It also depends on the size of your touchpad and hands. And of course
touchpad sensitivity - as I said, a simple brush is enough...
It only seems to happen very rarely here, so if you don't type a
lot... ;-)

--Reinhold

Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 01 February 2010, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> > If that is a synaptics touchpad, check dmesg to see how it signs
>> > in, there is a utility by the same name that sits in the dock
>> > that can enable or disable that touchpad. First thing I
>> > install after a fresh install on my lappy.
>>
>> Just out of complete and utter curiosity, why do you guys need to
>> do this at all. I mostly use an external USB mouse as well with
>> my laptop, but I have never disabled the touchpad. It is
>> convenient for the 1% of the time I don't have the external
>> mouse. I've never had any sort of issue with both active at once
>> so I'm just curious as to why all the effort to turn it off ...
>
>If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
>position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
>Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
>get out of hand.
>
> --Reinhold

Particularly when it switches screens on you in the middle of a word, or
hilights the whole damned page, which is then summarily erased by the next,
unstoppable in time, keystroke. The English language at least, has only
about 1/3rd of the words in my 2 minute monologue when that happens, which is
probably just as well.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

RELATIVES!!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Particularly when it switches screens on you in the middle of a word, or
> hilights the whole damned page, which is then summarily erased by the
> next, unstoppable in time, keystroke. The English language at least, has
> only about 1/3rd of the words in my 2 minute monologue when that happens,
> which is probably just as well.

Ctl-Z is your friend in those cases.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 01 February 2010, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Particularly when it switches screens on you in the middle of a word, or
>> hilights the whole damned page, which is then summarily erased by the
>> next, unstoppable in time, keystroke. The English language at least,
>> has only about 1/3rd of the words in my 2 minute monologue when that
>> happens, which is probably just as well.
>
>Ctl-Z is your friend in those cases.

For vim?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Toes, knees, NIPPLES. Toes, knees, nipples, KNUCKLES ...
Nipples, dimples, knuckles, NICKLES, wrinkles, pimples!!