Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Neil Winchurst

Default Disable laptop touchpad

O. Sinclair wrote:

> To get a menu in System Settings "mouse keyboard" area for touchpad go here:
> https://launchpad.net/~mishaaq/+archive/ppa/+packages
>
> add the ppa for Jaunty (it will still work) and install the kcmtouchpad
> package. You can now set the sensitivity of the touchpad to avoid the
> incidental "tapping" or switch it off etc etc from System Settings
>
> Sinclair

Well, as I said, I now have it working using synclient. But I will
certainly look at the above mentioned site. Thanks for the help.

And, referring to comments on this thread about having used computers
for a long time, I first got involved with computers in 1962 (not a
typo, yes 1962) so I guess I beat most of you.

Neil

Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

Could we stay on topic, please?

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>It would appear that on Feb 1, Gene Heskett did say:

>> >Hey, I'm an old fart.... but I would never use vim for much of
>> > anything.
>>
>> I probably have you beat, Bruce. I'm 75.
>>
>> >I am sure vim must have an 'undo' somewhere.
>>
>> It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited. I can
>> usually fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second
>> nature. And then of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote
>> that old saw about old dogs & new tricks. Shrug. I've been using vi, or
>> a clone of it, for at least 30 years.
>
>It certainly does Gene... And I hate to say it but if you've been using the
>old vi for that long your gonna hate yourself... vim is mostly compatible
>with vi. But it does have some improvements. and the undo is one of them.

Well, I have an old system too, with a vi clone I had to rename to ed because
of an os 'improvement' gave the old system a window style named vi.

But on linux I have been using vim since rh5.0 days.

>With old vi you had single level undo using by default the "u" (from
>command mode of course). And if I remember correctly if you hit it a second
>time it undid the undo right? Well I'm not certain if this is one of the
>things that compatibility mode affects, but the normal default behavior
>for "u" in vim is a multi-level undo that can usually back you all the way
>up to the state the file was in when you began editing the file. An
>exception to that would be if you had already backed up part way and then
>made new changes... Because vim's "u" is no longer a toggle they bind ^R to
>the multi-level redo function.

Actually, where that was really biting my a$$ was when I was in the kmail
composer, trying to answer an email. I sent more messages whose thought
threads were totally destroyed when on that lappy because so much stuff would
just go randomly missing. Thunderbird suffered the same problems, and the
receivers of those messages probably thought I was losing what little mind I
have left. Plumb #$@ embarrassing to me too.

>Since you've been using vi for so long though, I think I should mention
>that even though I don't find this in a current man vim, I remember that
>when I was first switching to vim from vi, I had to replace my existing
>~/.exrc with a nearly identical ~/.vimrc to stop vim from assuming I wanted
>compatibility mode... So if you have an old style ~/.exrc, it might be why
>you didn't know "u" was a multi-level undo in vim.

cat: .exrc: No such file or directory

>It would appear that on Feb 1, Bruce Marshall did continue the discussion:
>> I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to. But ditch
>> it at the first opportunity....
>
>Careful Bruce it only takes a few comments like that to start another of
>those infamous {editor of choice} holy wars... And I doubt that anybody
> wants more of that. Probably not even those dog gone emacs users... ;-7

Shhhhhh, now you'll wake the pack.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

After living in New York, you trust nobody, but you believe everything.
Just in case.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Jim Barnes

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have been given a laptop (Presario V5030EA). Lucky, eh?
>
> Anyway, I have installed Mint 7 XFCE version, which is based on Jaunty.
> It all seems great, and very similar to Kubuntu. I chose that distro as
> it needs fewer resources.
>
> Unfortunately this laptop does not have a button to disable the touchpad
> and most of the time I use it with a mouse. I have used Google to try to
> find how to disable the touchpad and have finished up rather confused.
> For a start it appears that methods which worked with versions of ubuntu
> up to Intrepid will no longer work with Jaunty.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction please? There must be some
> simple way to do it, surely. Any help gratefully received,
>
> Neil

syndaemon(1)

NAME
syndaemon - a program that monitors keyboard activity and
disables the touchpad when the keyboard is being used.

SYNTAX
syndaemon [-i idle-time] [-d] [-p pid-file] [-t] [-k] [-K]

DESCRIPTION
Disabling the touchpad while typing avoids unwanted movements of
the pointer that could lead to giving focus to the wrong window. This
program needs SHMConfig "on" in your XOrg/XFree86 Synaptics
Touchpad configuration.

<snip>

HTH,

--
Jim Barnes

Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> And, referring to comments on this thread about having used computers
> for a long time, I first got involved with computers in 1962 (not a
> typo, yes 1962) so I guess I beat most of you.

Sorry, I started in 1960

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Neil Winchurst

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> And, referring to comments on this thread about having used computers
>> for a long time, I first got involved with computers in 1962 (not a
>> typo, yes 1962) so I guess I beat most of you.
>>

> Sorry, I started in 1960

I did say "most of you" not all of you. still, wow

Neil

Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>Bruce Marshall wrote:
>> On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> And, referring to comments on this thread about having used computers
>>> for a long time, I first got involved with computers in 1962 (not a
>>> typo, yes 1962) so I guess I beat most of you.
>>
>> Sorry, I started in 1960
>
>I did say "most of you" not all of you. still, wow
>
>Neil

Does it count that I saw one of the first several thousand 12AU7 vacuum tube
& relay output models (the name escapes me after all these years) at SUI in
Iowa City in about 1956 or 57? They had it hooked to the mechanism of a
Harris Stream fed printing press modified to scan the 'fill in the box' test
papers that came back from administering the "Iowa Test" in all the primary
schools, with photocell tubes and it graded papers at several a second. I
didn't say touch it since I wasn't on the approved list. I was equally
impressed with the amount of air conditioning condensers in the yard, that
thing used a lot of power back in the cent/kwh days.

That test was supposed to be equ to the S/B IQ test, but S/B wanted too much
money per child, so they (Iowa) wrote their own. I had scored a 147 on it
several years prior to that, having taken it in the 7tn grade IIRC. Probably
hand graded back then so this was quite labor saver for the state even if its
run time till an error stop was only a few tens of seconds at a time.

I was interested yes, but I had never actually heard of programming such a
building filling beast to do a different job by moving jumper wires on a
patch panel in just a few minutes. It took us 20 years to get from that, to
something like the RCA 1802, or the TI-9900. Now look what we can do!
This list just touches the surface of a supernova explosion in our collective
knowledge.
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Another world, another day, another dawn. "