Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default Disable laptop touchpad

On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Ctl-Z is your friend in those cases.
>
> For vim?

Hey, I'm an old fart.... but I would never use vim for much of anything.

I am sure vim must have an 'undo' somewhere.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 01 February 2010, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >Ctl-Z is your friend in those cases.
>>
>> For vim?
>
>Hey, I'm an old fart.... but I would never use vim for much of anything.

I probably have you beat, Bruce. I'm 75.

>I am sure vim must have an 'undo' somewhere.

It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited. I can usually
fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second nature. And then
of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote that old saw about old
dogs & new tricks. Shrug. I've been using vi, or a clone of it, for at
least 30 years.

Call it CRS, oldtimers, whatever. I'm above ground, not in jail, and I woke
up this morning, what more can I ask for? Morning wood is out of the
question cuz I'm also diabetic. Sniff...

;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
(seen in someone's .signature)

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Dotan Cohen

>>Ctl-Z *is your friend in those cases.
>>
> For vim?

The rodent works in vim?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 01 February 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>Ctl-Z is your friend in those cases.
>>
>> For vim?
>
>The rodent works in vim?

Somewhat Dotan. The scroll wheel has been working to scroll the cursor up
and down for a while now, and drag to highlight copy paste back where the
cursor is has worked for a long time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Bachelor:
A man who chases women and never Mrs. one.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Somewhat Dotan. *The scroll wheel has been working to scroll the cursor up
> and down for a while now, and drag to highlight copy paste back where the
> cursor is has worked for a long time.

Thanks, nice. You might like Kate's VIM mode, by the way!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited. I can
> usually fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second
> nature. And then of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote
> that old saw about old dogs & new tricks. Shrug. I've been using vi, or
> a clone of it, for at least 30 years.

I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to. But ditch it at
the first opportunity....

I'm 71 but have been working with computers all my 48 years of working life.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 01 February 2010, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Monday 01 February 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited. I can
>> usually fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second
>> nature. And then of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote
>> that old saw about old dogs & new tricks. Shrug. I've been using vi,
>> or a clone of it, for at least 30 years.
>
>I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to. But ditch it
> at the first opportunity....
>
>I'm 71 but have been working with computers all my 48 years of working
> life.

Your computer history goes back farther than mine then.

I cut my first code on an 8 bitter, the RCA 1802, in 78-79 while the ACE at a
northern Kalifornia tv station. I guess it must have stood the test of time
because it was still in use when I was a dozen years down the road as the CE
of a WV CBS affiliate (WDTV) when I last checked. I started out fixing the
neighbors tv's in '49, got tired of consumer electronics customer backlash
and switched to broadcasting in the early 60's, but did have an unusual
experience in '60. I'd hired on as a bench tech at a little startup down on
Mission Bay that was fine tuning a small tv camera, much smaller than
anything on the market at the time, 2.5" in diameter, about 13" long, using
what was then a state of the art 7735A 1" vidicon tube. The idea was to lease
it to municipalities to be towed through sewers for inspection purposes. We
had the 1st one almost working but parts were sticking out of it on long
leads when about 8:30 Monday morning a bunch of gold and silver from the Navy
walked in. They asked how it did in low light, so we cleared a spot to lay
it in one of the bench drawers, did, and closed the drawer on the rg59 it was
running on. A couple seconds for the autotarget to react and we were looking
at the grain pattern of the plywood back panel of the drawer at nearly full
brightness on the monitor. "Sold, when can we have 2 of those, and BTW,
here's the plans for a pressure case and we will furnish the quartz windows
for them." Those two cameras were on the Trieste when it went down in the
mohole in Feb. '61, and unlike the Trieste, worked flawlessly. So I can
claim to have had fingerprints in both of those cameras that went a little
over 37k feet deep in the Marianas Trench, 49 years ago this month. You can
look that up on wikipedia. Unforch, we had no compact digital image storage
back then, so the pictures you saw in the encyclopedias were shot with small
film cameras from the monitor screens. Not really hi-def, but those are the
only pictures from the mohole that exist, we've never been back to it.

Yup, by almost pure serendipity I've had other unique experiences. Its been
one hell of a ride, but this train seems to be slowing down as the conductor
keeps eying my ticket. Being diabetic for the last 15 years, my warranty has
long since expired, but except for 3 times in my life, its been a great ride.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Your boss climbed the corporate ladder, wrong by wrong.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Feb 1, Gene Heskett did say:

> >> For vim?
> >
> >Hey, I'm an old fart.... but I would never use vim for much of anything.
> >
> I probably have you beat, Bruce. I'm 75.
>
> >I am sure vim must have an 'undo' somewhere.
>
> It probably does, but its depth of undo may also be limited. I can usually
> fix my typu's without needing that, so it use isn't second nature. And then
> of course someone here, reading this is bound to quote that old saw about old
> dogs & new tricks. Shrug. I've been using vi, or a clone of it, for at
> least 30 years.

It certainly does Gene... And I hate to say it but if you've been using the
old vi for that long your gonna hate yourself... vim is mostly compatible
with vi. But it does have some improvements. and the undo is one of them.

With old vi you had single level undo using by default the "u" (from
command mode of course). And if I remember correctly if you hit it a second
time it undid the undo right? Well I'm not certain if this is one of the
things that compatibility mode affects, but the normal default behavior
for "u" in vim is a multi-level undo that can usually back you all the way
up to the state the file was in when you began editing the file. An
exception to that would be if you had already backed up part way and then
made new changes... Because vim's "u" is no longer a toggle they bind ^R to
the multi-level redo function.

Since you've been using vi for so long though, I think I should mention
that even though I don't find this in a current man vim, I remember that
when I was first switching to vim from vi, I had to replace my existing
~/.exrc with a nearly identical ~/.vimrc to stop vim from assuming I wanted
compatibility mode... So if you have an old style ~/.exrc, it might be why
you didn't know "u" was a multi-level undo in vim.

It would appear that on Feb 1, Bruce Marshall did continue the discussion:

> I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to. But ditch it at
> the first opportunity....

Careful Bruce it only takes a few comments like that to start another of
those infamous {editor of choice} holy wars... And I doubt that anybody wants
more of that. Probably not even those dog gone emacs users... ;-7

Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2010, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>> On Monday 01 February 2010, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Just out of complete and utter curiosity, why do you guys need to
>>> do this at all. I mostly use an external USB mouse as well with
>>> my laptop, but I have never disabled the touchpad. It is
>>> convenient for the 1% of the time I don't have the external
>>> mouse. I've never had any sort of issue with both active at once
>>> so I'm just curious as to why all the effort to turn it off ...
>> If you are writing a lot, it's gonna become a real PITA to re-
>> position the cursor every single time you brush the touchpad.
>> Especially when writing while you're on a train, this can *really*
>> get out of hand.
>>
>> --Reinhold
>
> Particularly when it switches screens on you in the middle of a word, or
> hilights the whole damned page, which is then summarily erased by the next,
> unstoppable in time, keystroke. The English language at least, has only
> about 1/3rd of the words in my 2 minute monologue when that happens, which is
> probably just as well.

To get a menu in System Settings "mouse keyboard" area for touchpad go here:
https://launchpad.net/~mishaaq/+archive/ppa/+packages

add the ppa for Jaunty (it will still work) and install the kcmtouchpad
package. You can now set the sensitivity of the touchpad to avoid the
incidental "tapping" or switch it off etc etc from System Settings

Sinclair

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> > I know just enough vi to know how to use it when I have to. But ditch
> > it at the first opportunity....
> >

> Careful Bruce it only takes a few comments like that to start another of
> those infamous {editor of choice} holy wars... And I doubt that anybody
> wants more of that. Probably not even those dog gone emacs users... ;-7

Yeh, but Hitler put a stop to discussions like that long ago.... <grin>