FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Mike McGinn
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

On Monday 01 February 2010 10:57:34 Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
> touchpad. Have you checked there?
>
> / Jonas
>
This works for me:
synclient TouchpadOff=1
--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.
My deeds are my dearest companions. I am the beneficiary of my deeds.
My deeds are the ground on which I stand. ** Registered Linux User 377849

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

On Monday 01 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>I have been given a laptop (Presario V5030EA). Lucky, eh?
>
>Anyway, I have installed Mint 7 XFCE version, which is based on Jaunty.
>It all seems great, and very similar to Kubuntu. I chose that distro as
>it needs fewer resources.
>
>Unfortunately this laptop does not have a button to disable the touchpad
>and most of the time I use it with a mouse. I have used Google to try to
>find how to disable the touchpad and have finished up rather confused.
>For a start it appears that methods which worked with versions of ubuntu
>up to Intrepid will no longer work with Jaunty.
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction please? There must be some
>simple way to do it, surely. Any help gratefully received,
>
>Neil

If that is a synaptics touchpad, check dmesg to see how it signs in, there is
a utility by the same name that sits in the dock that can enable or disable
that touchpad. First thing I install after a fresh install on my lappy.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Time goes, you say?
Ah no!
Time stays, *we* go.
-- Austin Dobson

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> On 1 February 2010 16:40, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@drofle.com> wrote:
>> I have been given a laptop (Presario V5030EA). Lucky, eh?
>>
>> Anyway, I have installed Mint 7 XFCE version, which is based on Jaunty.
>> It all seems great, and very similar to Kubuntu. I chose that distro as
>> it needs fewer resources.
>>
>> Unfortunately this laptop does not have a button to disable the touchpad
>> and most of the time I use it with a mouse. I have used Google to try to
>> find how to disable the touchpad and have finished up rather confused.
>> For a start it appears that methods which worked with versions of ubuntu
>> up to Intrepid will no longer work with Jaunty.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction please? There must be some
>> simple way to do it, surely. Any help gratefully received,
>
> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
> touchpad. Have you checked there?
>
> / Jonas
>
No, because I have not yet been able to call up the BIOS. I suspect the
relevant key is F10. Is that correct?

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Neil Winchurst
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

Mike McGinn wrote:
> On Monday 01 February 2010 10:57:34 Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> There usually is an option in the BIOS to enable or disable the
>> touchpad. Have you checked there?
>>
>> / Jonas
>>
> This works for me:
> synclient TouchpadOff=1
I tried that. I get the message that SHMConfig is disabled. So I must
find out how to enable it.

Neil

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

On Monday 01 February 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >
>
> No, because I have not yet been able to call up the BIOS. I suspect the
> relevant key is F10. Is that correct?
>

Usually it is holding the DEL key while booting.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Chris Jones
 
Default Disable laptop touchpad

Hi,

> If that is a synaptics touchpad, check dmesg to see how it signs in, there is
> a utility by the same name that sits in the dock that can enable or disable
> that touchpad. First thing I install after a fresh install on my lappy.

Just out of complete and utter curiosity, why do you guys need to do
this at all. I mostly use an external USB mouse as well with my laptop,
but I have never disabled the touchpad. It is convenient for the 1% of
the time I don't have the external mouse. I've never had any sort of
issue with both active at once so I'm just curious as to why all the
effort to turn it off ...

Chris

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org