Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Clay Weber

Default smtp password for kmail does not remain.

Steven Vollom wrote:
> This is the second time this has happened recently; I reinstalled Karmic to repair it last time, because the resolution was not found.
>
> Kubuntu Karmic 9.10, KDE 4.3.4, quad core AMD 64bit, Kmail 1.12.4.
>
> att.yahoo.com confirms that all is well at their end.
>
> I find an anomaly when verifying the configuration for kmail. Every entry appears exactly right except the password entry in smtp. When I type it in, and afterward click on apply, then verify that the password has been saved, I find the area where the password is entered blank. Always before the blank area would retain 8 black dots that show when entering the password. When the space is blank, no emails can be sent, and the password can not be entered and applied to resolve this.
>
> I want to avoid having to re-install the OS again; that was the only solution I was able to find to fix the problem last time. I was unable to respond to help from Lindsay last time, but Lindsay was attempting help. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
>
> Steven

Why are you completely reinstalling the OS for this problem?
You are simply wasting time doing that. You should initially be
renaming/moving your kmail configuration files and mail folders first,
then try recreating your account settings from scratch.

Can you access your mail via a web interface? If so you can at least
have access to that email while trying to figure things out.

If I have time later I will see if there is a visual guide somewhere to
help you out

clay

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Steven Vollom

> > This is the second time this has happened recently; I
> reinstalled Karmic to repair it last time, because the
> resolution was not found.
> >
> > Kubuntu Karmic 9.10, KDE 4.3.4, quad core AMD 64bit,
> Kmail 1.12.4.
> >
> > att.yahoo.com confirms that all is well at their end.
> >
> > I find an anomaly when verifying the configuration for
> kmail. Every entry appears exactly right except the
> password entry in smtp. When I type it in, and
> afterward click on apply, then verify that the password has
> been saved, I find the area where the password is entered
> blank. Always before the blank area would retain 8
> black dots that show when entering the password. When
> the space is blank, no emails can be sent, and the password
> can not be entered and applied to resolve this.
> >
> > I want to avoid having to re-install the OS again;
> that was the only solution I was able to find to fix the
> problem last time. I was unable to respond to help
> from Lindsay last time, but Lindsay was attempting
> help. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
> >
> > Steven
> >

> Why are you completely reinstalling the OS for this
> problem?
> You are simply wasting time doing that. You should
> initially be
> renaming/moving your kmail configuration files and mail
> folders first,
> then try recreating your account settings from scratch.

That is the first thing I do when this problem appears. However, removing kmail and starting from scratch doesn't change anything, when this problem appears. Using kpackagekit to remove kmail after saving the folders that contain my data, doesn't remove the configuration. When I re-install kmail even the configuration remains in the new install. I don't know how to remove the configuration, as well. Consequently, after attempting all available recommendations, eventually I format the root drive and reinstall. When I do this, kmail has to be configured, but it works then.

> Can you access your mail via a web interface? If so you can
> at least
> have access to that email while trying to figure things
> out.

att.yahoo is my Internet Service Provider. I am using their mail program now, to respond to your email. It is cumbersome and not as efficient as kmail when kmail is working properly, but it keeps me from being blind and deaf to the Net.

> If I have time later I will see if there is a visual guide
> somewhere to
> help you out

If you are willing to do that, I will continue to use the yahoo mail application and wait for new help. I really would prefer not solving the problem by installing. I have not heard anyone else with this particular problem, and I read every post. Nor have I been able to find a duplicate situation on other forums. It is probably something that I am doing wrong and do not realize it. In any event thanks for the help.

Steven

Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Clay Weber

On Thursday 28 January 2010 08:59:03 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> [...]

I never said anything about *uninstalling* kmail (doing that does NOT remove
any of your settings). Moving or renaming the configurations files gets you a
clean kmail setup. You should be able to locate these files in your /.kde
folder, and a quick bit of research will reveal what and where they are.

On second thought, go back into the kubuntu-users archive fro December 2008
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2008-December/035839.html
and retrace your steps.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Richard Barmann

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 17:59 -0800, Steven Vollom wrote:

> [...]

> out.

att.yahoo is my Internet Service Provider. I am using their mail program now, to respond to your email. It is cumbersome and not as efficient as kmail when kmail is working properly, but it keeps me from being blind and deaf to the Net.

> If I have time later I will see if there is a visual guide
> somewhere to
> help you out

If you are willing to do that, I will continue to use the yahoo mail application and wait for new help. I really would prefer not solving the problem by installing. I have not heard anyone else with this particular problem, and I read every post. Nor have I been able to find a duplicate situation on other forums. It is probably something that I am doing wrong and do not realize it. In any event thanks for the help.

I am using Evolution and have run into the same problem. I had bellsouth.net for years and never had a problem. I used about 5 different mail programs without a problem. Now that my provider has changed to att.yahoo.com

I have it quite often. I think it is a yahoo problem.

Dick Barmann

Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I find an anomaly when verifying the configuration for kmail. Every
> entry appears exactly right except the password entry in smtp. When
> I type it in, and afterward click on apply, then verify that the
> password has been saved, I find the area where the password is
> entered blank.

Did you tell Kmail to save the password? There is a check box below the
password field named "Store SMTP Password". If it isn't checked, it will
not store the password but Kmail should ask for it whenever you send
mails.

Nils

Fri Jan 29 09:30:05 2010
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:22:49 +0100
From: =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbsOnb2lzIFBhdHRl?=
<francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one?
Sender: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkVEIE1FU1NBR0UtLS0tLQpIYX NoOiBTSEExCgpMZSAyOC8wMS8y
MDEwIDIzOjI3LCBBYXJvbiBLb25zdGFtIGEgw6ljcml0IDoKPi BPbiBUaHUsIDIwMTAtMDEtMjgg
YXQgMTU6MTEgKzAxMDAsIEZyYW7Dp29pcyBQYXR0ZSB3cm90ZT ogCj4+IC0tLS0tQkVHSU4gUEdQ
IFNJR05FRCBNRVNTQUdFLS0tLS0KPj4gSGFzaDogU0hBMQo+Pg o+PiBCb25qb3VyLAo+Pgo+PiBJ
IHBvc3QgYWdhaW4gbXkgcHJvYmxlbTogb24gbXkgZjEyIGluc3 RhbGwgSSBoYXZlIGEgcHJvYmxl
bSB3aXRoIHN5bWxpbmsKPj4gL2Rldi9jZHJvbSwgL2Rldi9kdm QsIC9kZXYvY2RydywgL2Rldi9k
dmRydyB3aGljaCBhbGwgZXhpc3QgKnVudGlsIEkKPj4gaW5zZX J0IGEgZGlzayBpbiB0aGUgZGV2
aWNlKiwgYXMgc29vbiBhcyB0aGUgZGlzayBpcyBtb3VudGVkLC B0aGVzZQo+PiBsaW5rcyBhcmUg
ZXJhc2VkIGFuZCBkb24ndCBjb21lIGJhY2sgdW50aWxsIHRoZS BuZXh0IGJvb3QuCj4+Cj4+IEkg
d291bGQgbGlrZSB0byBrbm93IGlmIGFueWJvZHkgZWxzZSBleH BlcmllbmNlZCB0aGUgc2FtZSBw
cm9ibGVtIGFuZCBJCj4+IGFtIHNlYXJjaGluZyBhIGNsdWUgdG 8gc29sdmUgdGhpcyBwcm9ibGVt
Lgo+Pgo+PiBJIHN1c3BlY3QgSEFMIG9yIHVkZXYsIGJ1dCBkb2 4ndCBrbm93IGhvdyB0byBzZWFy
Y2guCj4+Cj4+IEkgaGF2ZSBhIGZ1bGx5IHVwZGF0ZWQgZmVkb3 JhIDEyCj4+Cj4+IFRoYW5rcyBm
b3IgYXR0ZW50aW9uLgo+Pgo+IFdoYXQgeW91IGRlc2NyaWJlIH NvdW5kcyBsaWtlIGEgdWRldiBw
cm9ibGVtLiBJdCBpcyB1ZGV2IHRoYXQgaXMKPiByZXNwb25zaW JsZSBmb3IgY3JlYXRpbmcgdGhl
IGRldmljZXMuCgpUaGFua3MgZm9yIGFuc3dlcmluZy4KCnVkZX YgaXMgcmVzcG9uc2libGUgZm9y
IGNyZWF0aW5nLCBidXQgaGFsIGlzIHJlc3BvbnNpYmxlIGZvcg pob3RwbHVnZ2luZy4uLi4gU28u
Li4uCgpJIHRyaWVkIHRvIHVzZSBkZWJ1Z2dpbmcgd2l0aCBoYW wsIGJ1dCBJIGRpZCBub3Qgc2Vl
IGFueXRoaW5nIHN1c3BlY3QgKEkKY2FuIGJlIHdyb25nLCBiZW NhdXNlIEkgYW0gbm90IGFuIGV4
cGVydC4uLikKCgpJIHRyaWVkIHRvIGRlYnVnIHVkZXYgdG9vLC BidXQgdGhpcyBpcyBhbG1vc3Qg
aW1wb3NzaWJsZTogbG9ncyBnbyBvbgpjb25zb2xlIGF0IGJvb3 QgdGltZSwgYW5kIGFyZSB1bnJl
YWRhYmxlLi4uLgoKPiBJIGhhdmUgbm8gYnJpbGxpYW50IHNvbH V0aW9uIGJ1dAo+IGl0IHNvdW5k
cyBsaWtlIGZvciBzb21lIHJlYXNvbiB1ZGV2IGRlY2lkZXMgdG hhdCB0aG9zZSAvZGV2IGZpbGVz
IGFyZQo+IG5vdCBuZWVkZWQgd2hlbiBjb25mcm9udGVkIHdpdG ggYW4gaW5zZXJ0ZWQuIE5vdyBv
bmUgcXVlc3Rpb24uIEFyZSB5b3UKPiBpbnNlcnRpbmcgZGF0YS BDRHMgb3IgbXVzaWMgb3Igdmlk
ZW8gQ0RzPyBPbmx5IGRhdGEgQ0RzIGFyZSBtb3VudGVkLiBBcm UKPiB5b3Ugc29tZWhvdyB0cnlp
bmcgdG8gbW91bnQgYSBtdXNpYyBDRD8KCgpObywgSSBkb24ndC B0cnkgdG8gbW91bnQgbXVzaWMg
Q0QsIHZpZGVvIERWRCBhcmUgYXV0b21hdGljYWxseSBtb3VudG VkCmFuZCBpdCBpcyBkdXJpbmcg
dGhpcyBwaGFzZSB0aGF0IHRoZSBsaW5rcyBhcmUgZXJhc2VkLg oKLSAtLQpGcmFuw6dvaXMgUGF0
dGUKVUZSIGRlIG1hdGjDqW1hdGlxdWVzIGV0IGluZm9ybWF0aX F1ZQpVbml2ZXJzaXTDqSBQYXJp
cyBEZXNjYXJ0ZXMKNDUsIHJ1ZSBkZXMgU2FpbnRzIFDDqHJlcw pGLTc1MjcwIFBhcmlzIENlZGV4
IDA2ClTDqWwuICszMyAoMCkxIDQyODYgMjE0NQpodHRwOi8vd3 d3Lm1hdGgtaW5mby51bml2LXBh
cmlzNS5mci9+cGF0dGUKLS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVV JFLS0tLS0KVmVyc2lvbjogR251
UEcgdjEuNC45IChHTlUvTGludXgpCkNvbW1lbnQ6IFVzaW5nIE dudVBHIHdpdGggRmVkb3JhIC0g
aHR0cDovL2VuaWdtYWlsLm1vemRldi5vcmcvCgppRVlFQVJFQ0 FBWUZBa3Rpak1rQUNna1FkRTZD
MmRoVjJKWDMwUUNmUnNSZXA3cnFlcTZMZERtL2hmOFo3OTdVCl l1d0FvSkliZVkyOGZmUzFkNHFm
S0ozVzJGeENUNEVnCj1Nclc3Ci0tLS0tRU5EIFBHUCBTSUdOQV RVUkUtLS0tLQotLSAKdXNlcnMg
bWFpbGluZyBsaXN0CnVzZXJzQGxpc3RzLmZlZG9yYXByb2plY3 Qub3JnClRvIHVuc3Vic2NyaWJl
IG9yIGNoYW5nZSBzdWJzY3JpcHRpb24gb3B0aW9uczoKaHR0cH M6Ly9hZG1pbi5mZWRvcmFwcm9q
ZWN0Lm9yZy9tYWlsbWFuL2xpc3RpbmZvL3VzZXJzCkd1aWRlbG luZXM6IGh0dHA6Ly9mZWRvcmFw
cm9qZWN0Lm9yZy93aWtpL0NvbW11bmljYXRlL01haWxpbmdMaX N0R3VpZGVsaW5lcwo=

Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Steven Vollom

On Thursday 28 January 2010 10:05:22 pm Clay Weber wrote:
> On Thursday 28 January 2010 08:59:03 pm Steven Vollom wrote:

I believe I did that before I got your instruction. Everything (including all
configuration) was exactly the same in Kmail as before I removed and
reinstalled kmail, so it did not occur to me to mention it. Sorry.

This morning, things have changed again. I have successfully sent emails. I
went to the configuration to see if the sending (smtp) settings showed that a
password was included, and the line that would normally show 8 dots was blank,
so I guess that line does not have to show evidence of a password being
entered to send mail. Apparently this is a change in Kmail.

Since kmail seems to be working again, I guess the problem is solved, but I
have no idea what fixed the problem. What would not work last night, worked
this morning, and no changes were made. Thanks for your help. If you have
any further instruction how I can improve my posting, please criticize. I
sincerely want to do things right.

Steven

Old 01-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Steven Vollom

On Friday 29 January 2010 02:01:06 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I find an anomaly when verifying the configuration for kmail. Every
> > entry appears exactly right except the password entry in smtp. When
> > I type it in, and afterward click on apply, then verify that the
> > password has been saved, I find the area where the password is
> > entered blank.
>
> Did you tell Kmail to save the password? There is a check box below the
> password field named "Store SMTP Password". If it isn't checked, it will
> not store the password but Kmail should ask for it whenever you send
> mails.
>

> Nils

Dear Nils,

Yes I did, and the check box is checked too.

This morning I was able to send emails using kmail. Last night I was unable
to send emails using kmail. I have done nothing to make that happen.

If it would not be too much trouble, could you check your smtp configuration to
see if there are dots that represent the password you selected in the box that
shows the password? That box is blank in my configuration files. Even still,
my emails are sending this morning, and the box is still blank. It usually
has 8 dots in it that represent my password as being entered. I thought that
was the source of the problem before I posted my problem.

Each time I tried to enter a password in the blank box, the eight dots would
appear, but when I clicked on OK and expected to then click 'Apply' to set the
changes, the 'Apply' button would not activate. So I would close the
configuration window and attempt to send my emails. And, when I did that, they
would not send. And when I would return to the smtp configuration box to see
if the password was there, the space would be blank with no dots showing. And
this did not surprise me, because I was unable to 'Apply' the changes.

I am still not confident the problem is solved even though kmail seems to be
working OK this morning. I sure would like to know if the dots remain in your
smtp configuration when you check. If your password box is blank, then perhaps
the problem is resolved. Still, I have no idea what made it start working
again. Thanks friend.

Steven

Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Nils Kassube

Steven Vollom wrote:
> If it would not be too much trouble, could you check your smtp
> configuration to see if there are dots that represent the password
> you selected in the box that shows the password? That box is blank
> in my configuration files.

It is blank here as well with Kmail version 1.12.4 (KDE 4.3.5). It is a
bit confusing because the POP3 password field has dots.

Nils