Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Yiannis Papastergiou

Default Firefox 3.6 in kubuntu karmic

Hello to all,
I was wandering if there will be the package of firefox 3.6 in the
repositories of karmic?

I give "sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6" and get:
Package firefox-3.6 is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
E: Package firefox-3.6 has no installation candidate

I don't want to use the mozilla daily repository but would be nice to
know if the actual package will be available in the default repositories.

thank you

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Nigel Ridley

Yiannis Papastergiou wrote:
> Hello to all,
> I was wandering if there will be the package of firefox 3.6 in the
> repositories of karmic?
>
> I give "sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6" and get:
> Package firefox-3.6 is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package firefox-3.6 has no installation candidate
>
> I don't want to use the mozilla daily repository but would be nice to
> know if the actual package will be available in the default repositories.
>
> thank you

Have a look here:
http://linuxhub.net/2009/11/how-to-install-firefox-3-6-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala/

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Yannis

> ... if there will be the package of firefox 3.6 in the repositories of
> ....karmic?

At present, I work @ Kubuntu Karmic with KDE 4.3.3 and all the latest
package updates, including the latest Firefox version in the
repository: 3.5.7. There is always a certain delay between Firefox
upgrade and the integration of such an upgrade in the repository -
because of system stability.
On the other hand, from the mail of Nigel in this thread, I understand
it is already possible to find Firefox 3.6. in some backport
repository.
So, I see 2 options to get 3.6:
* backport repository installation in the way Nigel explains, or ....
* simply waiting for 3.6. till it comes with the regular updates.
Personally, I prefer waiting for a regular update.
Respectfully yours,
Bas.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Yiannis Papastergiou

On Thursday 28 January 2010 12:20:55 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Yiannis Papastergiou wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> > I was wandering if there will be the package of firefox 3.6 in the
> > repositories of karmic?
> >
> > I give "sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6" and get:
> > Package firefox-3.6 is not available, but is referred to by another
> > package.
> > This may mean that the package is missing, has been
obsoleted, or
> > is only available from another source
> > E: Package firefox-3.6 has no installation candidate
> >
> > I don't want to use the mozilla daily repository but would be nice
> > know if the actual package will be available in the default
repositories.

> > thank you
>
> Have a look here:
> http://linuxhub.net/2009/11/how-to-install-firefox-3-6-on-ubuntu-
karmic-koa
> la/
>
> Nigel

yes this are the mozilla daily repository. It installs the 3.6.1 pre-
release (with different name though ). As I wrote on my original
email I don't want to use this repository. thank you for your answer
though