FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
nepal
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven Vollom wrote:
> Previously the progress bar for downloads

in what?
what application or widget is this?

> included the speed in
> kpbs. Suddenly it disappeared; the icon on the pannel changed
> from one with an "i" in it to a rotating red bar image. Is there
> a way to configure the new progress bar to include the kpbs
> download rate? Thanks!
>
> Steven
>

nepal.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:23:29 pm nepal wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Previously the progress bar for downloads
>
> in what?
> what application or widget is this?
>
> > included the speed in
> > kpbs. Suddenly it disappeared; the icon on the pannel changed
> > from one with an "i" in it to a rotating red bar image. Is there
> > a way to configure the new progress bar to include the kpbs
> > download rate? Thanks!
> >
> > Steven
>
> nepal.
>
Dear Nepal,

I really don't know the application. I right clicked on the icon and was not
given any options for information. I called it a progress bar with a clock-
like rotating icon. That is the best explanation I can give. Are the
plasmoids in the KDE application or a part of the OS? Or are they an
application by themselves?

I am sorry, I forgot to mention the application. My OS is Kubuntu Karmic and
the KDE is ver. 4.3.4. Thanks!

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:23:29 pm nepal wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > Previously the progress bar for downloads
>
> in what?
> what application or widget is this?
>
> > included the speed in
> > kpbs. Suddenly it disappeared; the icon on the pannel changed
> > from one with an "i" in it to a rotating red bar image. Is there
> > a way to configure the new progress bar to include the kpbs
> > download rate? Thanks!
> >
> > Steven
>
> nepal.
>
Hi Nepal,

Thank you for responding. I thought all of the features of the panel were
plasmoids, however, I can't seem to identify the one that reveals the progress
of a download. When I download anything, an icon on the panel, which looks
like bars revolving in the pattern of a clock, and clockwise in their motion,
appears. At the same time, a progress bar in a drop-down box shows the
progress of the download.

Earlier in Kubuntu Karmic the clockwise icon used to be a circle with an "i"
in the center. It also had a drop-down box from the panel that showed a
progress bar. Additionally, it showed the speed in kbps in print under the
progress bar. It is not critical and the change must have been made in an
update of the OS, but I liked that feature very much. I was hoping that I
could locate a configuration for that feature and add the kpbs speed of
download back in again. Thanks!

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
nepal
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

On Thursday 28 Jan 2010 07:44:38 Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:23:29 pm nepal wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > Previously the progress bar for downloads
> >
> > in what?
> > what application or widget is this?
> >
> > > included the speed in
> > > kpbs. Suddenly it disappeared; the icon on the pannel
> > > changed from one with an "i" in it to a rotating red bar image.
> > > Is there a way to configure the new progress bar to include
> > > the kpbs download rate? Thanks!
> > >
> > > Steven
> >
> > nepal.
>
> Hi Nepal,
>
> Thank you for responding. I thought all of the features of the
> panel were plasmoids, however, I can't seem to identify the one
> that reveals the progress of a download. When I download
> anything, an icon on the panel, which looks like bars revolving in
> the pattern of a clock, and clockwise in their motion, appears.
> At the same time, a progress bar in a drop-down box shows the
> progress of the download.
>
> Earlier in Kubuntu Karmic the clockwise icon used to be a circle
> with an "i" in the center. It also had a drop-down box from the
> panel that showed a progress bar. Additionally, it showed the
> speed in kbps in print under the progress bar. It is not critical
> and the change must have been made in an update of the OS, but I
> liked that feature very much. I was hoping that I could locate a
> configuration for that feature and add the kpbs speed of download
> back in again. Thanks!
>
> Steven
>

Sorry Steven,

I don't recognise anything from what you say, but someone else here
might now they have more to go on.

nepal.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Billie Erin Walsh
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

nepal wrote:
> On Thursday 28 Jan 2010 07:44:38 Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:23:29 pm nepal wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven Vollom wrote:
>>>
>>>> Previously the progress bar for downloads
>>>>
>>> in what?
>>> what application or widget is this?
>>>
>>>
>>>> included the speed in
>>>> kpbs. Suddenly it disappeared; the icon on the pannel
>>>> changed from one with an "i" in it to a rotating red bar image.
>>>> Is there a way to configure the new progress bar to include
>>>> the kpbs download rate? Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Steven
>>>>
>>> nepal.
>>>
>> Hi Nepal,
>>
>> Thank you for responding. I thought all of the features of the
>> panel were plasmoids, however, I can't seem to identify the one
>> that reveals the progress of a download. When I download
>> anything, an icon on the panel, which looks like bars revolving in
>> the pattern of a clock, and clockwise in their motion, appears.
>> At the same time, a progress bar in a drop-down box shows the
>> progress of the download.
>>
>> Earlier in Kubuntu Karmic the clockwise icon used to be a circle
>> with an "i" in the center. It also had a drop-down box from the
>> panel that showed a progress bar. Additionally, it showed the
>> speed in kbps in print under the progress bar. It is not critical
>> and the change must have been made in an update of the OS, but I
>> liked that feature very much. I was hoping that I could locate a
>> configuration for that feature and add the kpbs speed of download
>> back in again. Thanks!
>>
>> Steven
>>
>>
>
> Sorry Steven,
>
> I don't recognise anything from what you say, but someone else here
> might now they have more to go on.
>
> nepal.
>
>

I'm not sure it does what your looking for. I haven't downloaded
anything lately.

Right click on the circle with the "i" on it and the top setting in the
drop down leads to a place that has a setting to hide the pop-ups.
Uncheck it and see if that does what you want.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

Trim
> > Sorry Steven,
> >
> > I don't recognise anything from what you say, but
> someone else here
> > might now they have more to go on.
> >
> > nepal.
> >
> >
>
> I'm not sure it does what your looking for. I haven't
> downloaded
> anything lately.
>
> Right click on the circle with the "i" on it and the top
> setting in the
> drop down leads to a place that has a setting to hide the
> pop-ups.
> Uncheck it and see if that does what you want.
>
> --
> Some people are like Slinky's.
>
> Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down
> the stairs.
>
> Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
My new system has SATA Drives and all file systems are ext4. They work much faster that the drives and old ext3 file system.

Although sometimes the speed will spike for a few seconds to around 170mbs, transfers are usually around 100 mbs. When transfers are runnint 150 to 170mbs, a 1.5gb transfer of data only takes around 10 seconds. These high speeds are not always present. Sometimes and usually they average around 100 to 120mbs. On rare occasions they will go as low as 50 to 60 mbs. I make a lot of 1 to 3gb transfers and have been monitoring the speeds trying to understand what type of data or file type or any other identifiable characteristic is present at the varying speeds. Recently to solve a problem that seemed not able to be fixed, I re-installed Kubuntu Karmic. After the install, I lost the ability to view the speed variations. Also, the Icon seems to be the same on the panel, a blue circle with an "i" in the center, but the dropdown progress bar has changed. I assumed it was an change in the plasmoid that happened when I re-installed. If it can be
re-configured to include the varying rate of speed during data transfers, I would like that very much.

It did not seem to have anything to do with whether the file was a rar or avi file, which surprised me, but I am interested if it may be a factor of the hardware, the SATA drives reving up. My speculation is based on the fact that when transfers are being made, the panel icon has changed, and the progress bar that drops down no longer provides the speed of transfer data; the only thing it shows is the general position of the data transfer. Apparently my interest is unusual. No one seems to recognize the change.

When I first started monitoring the speeds, the dropdown would appear for a couple of seconds and disappear; when I clicked on the blue icon with the "i" in it, the dropdown would appear again, only this time it would remain until the transfer was completed. It was the first time I noted the changing and sometimes very high transfer speeds, when a 1.5gb transfer would complete almost before I could click on the icon the second time to continue to view the progress.

This research I am doing is not for a business purpose, however, when I have an understanding of what is taking place, I am confident it will have positive application in business usage.

I tried your suggestion, but have previously right-clicked the icon looking for configuration. I did this quite a while ago, and did not remember what was contained in that selection. The information is interesting, but the choices for changing configuration are not helpful for my inquiry.

Thanks for trying.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

--- On Thu, 1/28/10, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

> From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>
> Subject: Re: Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit
> To: "Kubuntu user technical support" <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
> nepal wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 Jan 2010 07:44:38 Steven Vollom wrote:
> >
> >> On Wednesday 27 January 2010 10:23:29 pm nepal
> wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Wednesday 27 Jan 2010 21:01:39 Steven
> Vollom wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Previously the progress bar for downloads
> >>>>
> >>> in what?
> >>> what application or widget is this?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> included the speed in
> >>>> kpbs. Suddenly it
> disappeared; the icon on the pannel
> >>>> changed from one with an "i" in it to a
> rotating red bar image.
> >>>> Is there a way to configure the new
> progress bar to include
> >>>> the kpbs download rate? Thanks!
> >>>>
> >>>> Steven
> >>>>
> >>> nepal.
> >>>
> >> Hi Nepal,
> >>
> >> Thank you for responding. I thought all of
> the features of the
> >> panel were plasmoids, however, I can't seem
> to identify the one
> >> that reveals the progress of a
> download. When I download
> >> anything, an icon on the panel, which looks
> like bars revolving in
> >> the pattern of a clock, and clockwise in
> their motion, appears.
> >> At the same time, a progress bar in a
> drop-down box shows the
> >> progress of the download.
> >>
> >> Earlier in Kubuntu Karmic the clockwise icon used
> to be a circle
> >> with an "i" in the center. It also had
> a drop-down box from the
> >> panel that showed a progress bar.
> Additionally, it showed the
> >> speed in kbps in print under the progress
> bar. It is not critical
> >> and the change must have been made in an
> update of the OS, but I
> >> liked that feature very much. I was
> hoping that I could locate a
> >> configuration for that feature and add the
> kpbs speed of download
> >> back in again. Thanks!
> >>
> >> Steven
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Sorry Steven,
> >
> > I don't recognise anything from what you say, but
> someone else here
> > might now they have more to go on.
> >
> > nepal.
> >
> >
>
> I'm not sure it does what your looking for. I haven't
> downloaded
> anything lately.
>
> Right click on the circle with the "i" on it and the top
> setting in the
> drop down leads to a place that has a setting to hide the
> pop-ups.
> Uncheck it and see if that does what you want.
>
> --
> Some people are like Slinky's.
>
> Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down
> the stairs.
>
> Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>

I just noticed in your reply mentioning you hadn't downloaded anything lately. I may have misrepresented my desire. If I used the term downloading, I made a mistake. I am talking about internal transfers of information. HDD to HDD or from partition to partition. My download speeds max out at about 320kbps. That is very slow when referring what I am talking about. If I misused the language, I am sorry.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Billie Erin Walsh
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

Steven Vollom wrote:
> My new system has SATA Drives and all file systems are ext4. They work
> much faster that the drives and old ext3 file system.
> Although sometimes the speed will spike for a few seconds to around 170mbs, transfers are usually around 100 mbs. When transfers are runnint 150 to 170mbs, a 1.5gb transfer of data only takes around 10 seconds. These high speeds are not always present. Sometimes and usually they average around 100 to 120mbs. On rare occasions they will go as low as 50 to 60 mbs. I make a lot of 1 to 3gb transfers and have been monitoring the speeds trying to understand what type of data or file type or any other identifiable characteristic is present at the varying speeds. Recently to solve a problem that seemed not able to be fixed, I re-installed Kubuntu Karmic. After the install, I lost the ability to view the speed variations. Also, the Icon seems to be the same on the panel, a blue circle with an "i" in the center, but the dropdown progress bar has changed. I assumed it was an change in the plasmoid that happened when I re-installed. If it can be
> re-configured to include the varying rate of speed during data transfers, I would like that very much.
>
> It did not seem to have anything to do with whether the file was a rar or avi file, which surprised me, but I am interested if it may be a factor of the hardware, the SATA drives reving up. My speculation is based on the fact that when transfers are being made, the panel icon has changed, and the progress bar that drops down no longer provides the speed of transfer data; the only thing it shows is the general position of the data transfer. Apparently my interest is unusual. No one seems to recognize the change.
>
> When I first started monitoring the speeds, the dropdown would appear for a couple of seconds and disappear; when I clicked on the blue icon with the "i" in it, the dropdown would appear again, only this time it would remain until the transfer was completed. It was the first time I noted the changing and sometimes very high transfer speeds, when a 1.5gb transfer would complete almost before I could click on the icon the second time to continue to view the progress.
>
> This research I am doing is not for a business purpose, however, when I have an understanding of what is taking place, I am confident it will have positive application in business usage.
>
> I tried your suggestion, but have previously right-clicked the icon looking for configuration. I did this quite a while ago, and did not remember what was contained in that selection. The information is interesting, but the choices for changing configuration are not helpful for my inquiry.
>
> Thanks for trying.
>
> Steven
>
>

Upload/download speeds are more dependent on the internet paths, server
speeds on the other end, and server loads on the other end.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Billie Erin Walsh
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

Steven Vollom wrote:
> --- On Thu, 1/28/10, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure it does what your looking for. I haven't
>> downloaded
>> anything lately.
>>
>> Right click on the circle with the "i" on it and the top
>> setting in the
>> drop down leads to a place that has a setting to hide the
>> pop-ups.
>> Uncheck it and see if that does what you want.
>>
>> --
>> Some people are like Slinky's.
>>
>> Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down
>> the stairs.
>>
>> Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop
>>
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-users mailing list
>> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>>
>>
>
> I just noticed in your reply mentioning you hadn't downloaded anything lately. I may have misrepresented my desire. If I used the term downloading, I made a mistake. I am talking about internal transfers of information. HDD to HDD or from partition to partition. My download speeds max out at about 320kbps. That is very slow when referring what I am talking about. If I misused the language, I am sorry.
>
> Steven
>
>

Sorry, I guess I wasn't following the conversation close enough. The
pop-up for internal transfers might also be dependent on that setting.
I've never really paid any attention to internal transfer speeds.

You can also please pardon my just sent previous post. It's not relevant
either.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 AM
nepal
 
Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

On Friday 29 Jan 2010 01:38:55 Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just noticed in your reply mentioning you hadn't downloaded
> anything lately. I may have misrepresented my desire. If I used
> the term downloading, I made a mistake. I am talking about
> internal transfers of information. HDD to HDD or from partition
> to partition. My download speeds max out at about 320kbps. That
> is very slow when referring what I am talking about. If I misused
> the language, I am sorry.
>
> Steven
>
Ah! Now I am with you. You mean the Notifications and Jobs icon (and I
did think of this in the first place, but your descriptions persuaded
me away from it! LOL.

AFAIU there is no selectable icon for that service and IINM it appears
in the .....



and I've just discovered what you are after. Right click the system
tray will give you various options.

nepal.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org