Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Download Speed with Kubuntu Karmic 64bit

Trim

> Set up two windows, one with File to be moved and other with distination.
> Create Command line without initializing it (Make it up in a text editor
> and copy/paste is the easiest way.) Drag and drop the file and then start
> the command line. Either you will get an error message telling what is
> missing or needed, or you will get the results you want. Sounds kind of
> iffy but I see no bad commands in there that is going to wipe out your
> HD..

Dear Robert,

I used kate and opened using "kdesudo kate" without the quotes. I split the
page and attempted to put the address of the movie that was in my example.
When I pasted it into one side, it also pasted into the other side. I pasted
the entire command into one side and it repeated the entry in the other side
as well. I tried to remove the address from where the transfer is made,
however when I did, it removed from both sides. I guess I don't understand
what you are saying.

Next I opened dolphin, split screen in root. When I tried to cut and paste to
one side, it would not paste.

I opened my word processor in the following manner: kdesudo
oppenoffice.org_wordprocessor

It did not open Open Office Word, it just skipped a line and printed my prompt:

steven@Yeshua:~$

There was no error message or suggestion this could not happen, it simply did
not open up the word processor. I thought I might be able to use it as an
editor.

When I use an editor like Kate opened in kdesueo, split right/left, anything
pasted into the left side is also pasted into the right side, likewise if you
remove anything.

Basically what I wanted to do was shown in my example. Should I open a shell
in root and enter:

steven@Yeshua:~# rsync --address=/svpersonal/steven/>Movies/Artistic
Movies/Gran Torino /backup --bwlimit=MBPS -h --human->readable

If this is incorrect, please give me specific instructions, ie. the editor to
use and how to get the proper code in each side, then how to cut and past it
into a shell. Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Goh Lip

On 01/30/2010 12:23 AM, Steven Vollom wrote:

> I believe I read all the various options without success. Do you think the
> progress bar that shows from the panel is a KDE item or perhaps Kubuntu Karmic
> or perhaps someone who created a plazmoid? I would like to ask the correct
> creator about this. Thanks!

Steven, this is not a plasmoid, but may come useful if you need to check
download/upload network speed, ram usage and memory.

Menu --> System --> System Monitor

regards - goh lip

Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 30 January 2010, Steven Vollom wrote:
> Trim again
>
> > (I haven't read the whole thread and am hoping that this isn't
> > too redundant.)
>
> So far, it seems the most informative.

:-)
I'd like to point out that most of my remarks were meant to be pretty
generic, as you had stated that you would like to learn about that
kind of stuff. I wasn't directly replying to anything you wrote with
that first paragraph.
I'm also far from an expert on hardware - all I know I got from two
lectures at university. I'm a software guy. Luckily, a lot of the
copying has to do with software, so I know a fair amount about these
things...

One more thing about ext4: they integrated some ideas into the design
meant to speed up operations in general. One of them is that ext4
mostly operates in RAM while it can - the actual writeback happens
when there isn't too much going on. I'm not sure whether Ubuntu
preserved this behaviour, as it causes a lot of problems on unstable
systems and used to cause a fair amount of data loss when ext4 was
still young. Because of this, the developers added a switch to make
ext4 emulate old ext2/3 behaviour in this regard.
If this feature is active on your system (I forget how to check for
it; I believe it was called "delayed write" or something similar),
you may experience random spikes and slowdowns in your transfers...

<snip>

> From previous computers, the amount of ram at 4gb is so great that
> I hadn't considered a shortage or cache shortage. I have an AMD
> quad 9600 with, I believe 512mb of cashe for each of four
> processors and a 20gb swap file for my own reasons. So, the
> thought of running out of cache or ram hadn't hit me yet.

If you're running firefox, that is a memory hog if there ever was
one. plasma-desktop also eats a lot of RAM. I have 3gb RAM and find
that at least half of that is in use most of the time. But then I
also use a lot of widgets.
Most of the time, my free RAM is enough to make file transfers
*really* fast. When the files exceed 2gb, however, the transfer will
slow to a crawl at some time.

> Both my HDD's are SATA with 600gb vacant on one and 400gb unused
> on the other, so I don't think there is any shortage of space,
> and perhaps the reason I get such wonderful speeds most of the
> time. Each has cache, but I can not remember the amount right
> now.

Since the disk cache is relatively small, it won't have that great an
impact on large transfers...

<snip>

> > Since KDE starts a new copy
> > operation for every file and does a lot of "useless" work in
> > between operations (for progress information), copying a large
> > amount of small files will take much longer using the KDE copy
> > than using the cp command.
>
> I am just learning to use the konsole more. I will use the cp
> command from now on, if it is faster and/or better.

I just recently had to copy a directory with a huge amount of small
files. I first made the mistake of trying to use konqueror to do the
transfer. After it hadn't even passed the 50% mark after five
minutes, I cancelled and used cp. That finished within two minutes...

> > This is partially due to the buffering mentioned above. Also,
> > obviously, the target drive's write speed is a limiting factor.
>
> Both drives are Maxtor SATA's a 1.5tb and a 500gb. The 500gb is
> the backup drive and most large file transfers take place from
> the larger to smaller drive. Both have the same specifications,
> as i recall. I am going to check that.

Well, the reading speed is still going to be greater than the writing
speed. ;-)
You can use hdparm to do some benchmarking and tweaking.

> > > I have read that ext4 is not stable;
> >
> > That is incorrect. It isn't tested as thoroughly as its
> > predecessors, but it most certainly is stable (there was some
> > patch in the Ubuntu 9.04 kernel which rendered deleting
> > unstable, but that was an exception).
>
> I have been successfully using ext4 for over 6 months now with no
> negative impact that I am aware of. Perhaps my experience is
> useful for the developers. I transfer lots of large files.

It was a pretty rare bug for most of us. It seemed to be some race
condition as I recall. It only hit me once or twice, but it cost me a
few gb of data... :-/

> > There is a lot of theory behind the inner workings of a
> > computer, and you don't always need to use something to be able
> > to apprehend problems.
> > Also, not using something because it's not well-tested is a
> > *very* valid reason and the one I've come across most often.
>
> I am retired. Most of my joy is derived from learning to use and
> using a computer. I don't even mind crashing and re-installing,
> as long as I am not unable to use my computer for too long a
> period of time.

Then those reasons will likely not apply to you - they're mostly
meant for newbies who would be raising a tantrum if anything went
wrong, anyway.

I, for my part, would be pretty annoyed if a day's work vanished
every now and then. This kind of makes you a little more careful when
choosing the FS for your production system... :-)

--Reinhold

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Steven Vollom

On Friday 29 January 2010 10:52:07 pm Goh Lip wrote:
> On 01/30/2010 12:23 AM, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I believe I read all the various options without success. Do you think
> > the progress bar that shows from the panel is a KDE item or perhaps
> > Kubuntu Karmic or perhaps someone who created a plazmoid? I would like
> > to ask the correct creator about this. Thanks!
>
> Steven, this is not a plasmoid, but may come useful if you need to check
> download/upload network speed, ram usage and memory.
>
> Menu --> System --> System Monitor
>
> regards - goh lip

Thanks Goh Lip, I looked at that earlier. It works great for networking,
however, I was unable to follow the numerical changes in disk transfer.
Perhaps I did not understand the configuration abilities. The system load
choice is interesting to me in another way. I have never seen system load for
the various processors before. Thanks for the idea though.

Steven

Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Steven Vollom

On Friday 29 January 2010 10:52:07 pm Goh Lip wrote:
> On 01/30/2010 12:23 AM, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I believe I read all the various options without success. Do you think
> > the progress bar that shows from the panel is a KDE item or perhaps
> > Kubuntu Karmic or perhaps someone who created a plazmoid? I would like
> > to ask the correct creator about this. Thanks!
>
> Steven, this is not a plasmoid, but may come useful if you need to check
> download/upload network speed, ram usage and memory.
>
> Menu --> System --> System Monitor
>
> regards - goh lip

Dear Goh Lip,

There is an excellent plasmoid for monitoring network rates. I use it all the
time. My desire is to get back the transfer rates, real-time and using
numbers, preferably kpbs. When the progress bar used to appear, it included
those statistics. it would only open briefly, however by clicking on the icon
with the " i " in the center, it would re-appear and remain for the balance of
the transfer.

Although I have not used Ksysguard much in the past, I has useful information
that I am pursuing. Thanks for the reference. On the System Load tab, the
colors do not show very well, however on the darkest blue setting for a
background, the colors used are easily distinguishable. Network History
colors cannot be changed without crashing the application. When that happens
you lose your settings in CPU History and Memory and Swap History. Still,
the yellow color on a white background is a strain to view. It seems to be a
bug not worth fixing. Lots of reports without action on that issue. My
plasmoid for network history works fine - even better - anyway.

Nice to hear from you, my friend.

Steven