Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Flash inconsistency 9.10

Running 9.10 from a fresh install.

The page at:
http://www.rapala.com/how2tv/ loads OK and the intro flash movie plays OK. There is a few icons
under the player window to choose a different lure. There is also an icon to choose from a
complete list. There should be a slider bar under the visible icons which allows you to see and
choose other icons.

Here's the annoying bit. Firefox (3.6) and Opera will not show anything in the pop-up window
(after clicking on the 'Video Playlist' icon/button) which should show a list of choices. The
slider bar under the icons doesn't show.
However in Konqueror everything works as expected. What gives? I have no problem with any other
Flash videos.

Any ideas?

Nigel

Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Steve

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:01:21 -0000, Nigel Ridley
<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:

> Running 9.10 from a fresh install.
>
> The page at:
> http://www.rapala.com/how2tv/ loads OK and the intro flash movie plays
> OK. There is a few icons
> under the player window to choose a different lure. There is also an
> icon to choose from a
> complete list. There should be a slider bar under the visible icons
> which allows you to see and
> choose other icons.
>
> Here's the annoying bit. Firefox (3.6) and Opera will not show anything
> in the pop-up window
> (after clicking on the 'Video Playlist' icon/button) which should show a
> list of choices. The
> slider bar under the icons doesn't show.
> However in Konqueror everything works as expected. What gives? I have no
> problem with any other
> Flash videos.
>
> Any ideas?

As far as me and my angling mates knew that page only worked properly with
IE, so, I assume, Konqueror must be able to cope with one of IEs quirks. I
did read on a forum, somewhere, that a few people had informed Rapala
though not a lot seems to have come of this. Not much help I know but,
you’re not the only one suffering :-/

--
Steve

Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Nigel Ridley

Steve wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:01:21 -0000, Nigel Ridley
> <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
>
>> Running 9.10 from a fresh install.
>>
>> The page at:
>> http://www.rapala.com/how2tv/ loads OK and the intro flash movie plays
>> OK. There is a few icons
>> under the player window to choose a different lure. There is also an
>> icon to choose from a
>> complete list. There should be a slider bar under the visible icons
>> which allows you to see and
>> choose other icons.
>>
>> Here's the annoying bit. Firefox (3.6) and Opera will not show anything
>> in the pop-up window
>> (after clicking on the 'Video Playlist' icon/button) which should show a
>> list of choices. The
>> slider bar under the icons doesn't show.
>> However in Konqueror everything works as expected. What gives? I have no
>> problem with any other
>> Flash videos.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> As far as me and my angling mates knew that page only worked properly with
> IE, so, I assume, Konqueror must be able to cope with one of IEs quirks. I
> did read on a forum, somewhere, that a few people had informed Rapala
> though not a lot seems to have come of this. Not much help I know but,
> you’re not the only one suffering :-/

It it quite strange as I used to be able to watch them all, but I can't remember if it was before
I did the fresh install of 9.10 (I was using 9.04).
My son has a GoS (Ubuntu 8.04 based) so I will try on that.

Nigel

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 27 January 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:01:21 -0000, Nigel Ridley
> > <nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> >> Running 9.10 from a fresh install.
> >>
> >> The page at:
> >> http://www.rapala.com/how2tv/ loads OK and the intro flash
> >> movie plays OK. There is a few icons
> >> under the player window to choose a different lure. There is
> >> also an icon to choose from a
> >> complete list. There should be a slider bar under the visible
> >> icons which allows you to see and
> >> choose other icons.
> >>
> >> Here's the annoying bit. Firefox (3.6) and Opera will not show
> >> anything in the pop-up window
> >> (after clicking on the 'Video Playlist' icon/button) which
> >> should show a list of choices. The
> >> slider bar under the icons doesn't show.
> >> However in Konqueror everything works as expected. What gives?
> >> I have no problem with any other
> >> Flash videos.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> > As far as me and my angling mates knew that page only worked
> > properly with IE, so, I assume, Konqueror must be able to cope
> > with one of IEs quirks. I did read on a forum, somewhere, that
> > a few people had informed Rapala though not a lot seems to have
> > come of this. Not much help I know but, you’re not the only one
> > suffering :-/
>
> It it quite strange as I used to be able to watch them all, but I
> can't remember if it was before I did the fresh install of 9.10
> (I was using 9.04).
> My son has a GoS (Ubuntu 8.04 based) so I will try on that.

I think I read somewhere that flash inside firefox was affected by
the clientside windows bug. You could try executing firefox with the
GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS environment variable set to "1". You can do this
inside a bash shell by executing:
GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 firefox
and using that firefox to try viewing the video.
I have no idea if this will work, but konqueror might be immune to
the issue since it doesn't use GTK.

--Reinhold

Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Nigel Ridley

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 January 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>>> As far as me and my angling mates knew that page only worked
>>> properly with IE, so, I assume, Konqueror must be able to cope
>>> with one of IEs quirks. I did read on a forum, somewhere, that
>>> a few people had informed Rapala though not a lot seems to have
>>> come of this. Not much help I know but, you’re not the only one
>>> suffering :-/
>> It it quite strange as I used to be able to watch them all, but I
>> can't remember if it was before I did the fresh install of 9.10
>> (I was using 9.04).
>> My son has a GoS (Ubuntu 8.04 based) so I will try on that.
>
> I think I read somewhere that flash inside firefox was affected by
> the clientside windows bug. You could try executing firefox with the
> GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS environment variable set to "1". You can do this
> inside a bash shell by executing:
> GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 firefox
> and using that firefox to try viewing the video.
> I have no idea if this will work, but konqueror might be immune to
> the issue since it doesn't use GTK.
>
> --Reinhold

Thanks for the help but it didn't work :-(

Nigel

Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Nigel Ridley

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 January 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>>> As far as me and my angling mates knew that page only worked
>>> properly with IE, so, I assume, Konqueror must be able to cope
>>> with one of IEs quirks. I did read on a forum, somewhere, that
>>> a few people had informed Rapala though not a lot seems to have
>>> come of this. Not much help I know but, you’re not the only one
>>> suffering :-/
>> It it quite strange as I used to be able to watch them all, but I
>> can't remember if it was before I did the fresh install of 9.10
>> (I was using 9.04).
>> My son has a GoS (Ubuntu 8.04 based) so I will try on that.
>
> I think I read somewhere that flash inside firefox was affected by
> the clientside windows bug. You could try executing firefox with the
> GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS environment variable set to "1". You can do this
> inside a bash shell by executing:
> GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 firefox
> and using that firefox to try viewing the video.
> I have no idea if this will work, but konqueror might be immune to
> the issue since it doesn't use GTK.
>
> --Reinhold

I just tried it on my son's GoS (Ubuntu 8.04 based) box (up to date) and it works as it should.
So something is amiss with newer versions of Firefox and/or GTK/something else.

Nigel