Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Jonesy

Default Fwd: Kubuntu Karmic: OK, but sometimes like uncontrolled horse (Was: Switching a friend to Ubuntu)

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:21:32 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
> P.S. The two screenshots I refer to in the message below, are
> apparently too big for transmission via the list. That's why I have
> brought them together in a PDF at this address:
> http://circleletter.rainbowinfo.net/Screenshots.pdf
> (203 KB).

I still see no reason to (ever) go to KDE 4. It's all about flying
pigs, dancing elephants, and constant tribulations. Nothing there for
my productivity. It's hard to take seriously a desktop that wants to be
the center of attention -- versus the actual work at hand.

I installed ubuntu 9.10 and then installed KDE 3. My migration from an
older (Mandrake) distro went seamlessly. _That_ quite impressed me.

A netbook I purchased pre-loaded with kubuntu 9.10, and on which I also
installed KDE 3, is still causing some grief. Mixing KDE 4 and KDE 3
installs on the same machine results in a somewhat unstable environment
-- despite any reassuring advice one might receive in the ng's or
forums.

It's time to look about for a new desktop, I suppose. KDE 3 won't be
around forever. I am unaware whether it'll be do'able on the next LTS.
(If anyone knows, speak up...)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux