FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

My OS is Kubuntu Karmic. I have an AMD quad core 9600 processor with 4gb of
SDRAM. I attempted installation of e-Sword and failed.

As per instructions, I installed the Wine 1.1.37 version. When attempting the
installation of e-Sword, the computer froze at 97% of the installation. It
required a re-boot to continue.

After booting, I confirmed that Wine was installed by looking in Kmenu
Applications, then attempted installing e-Sword again using the e-Sword
installer. The application failed with the following error message: Package:
e-sword-installer, Status: Error: Cannot install 'wine'.

I attempted to repair any broken package by using the command, "sudo dpkg --
configure -a". It appeared to work, because I was returned to my command line
prompt, steven@Yeshua:~$. I was not successful it repairing any broken
package though, if that was the appropriate command.

Using the Wine uninstaller, I attempted to remove Wine, thinking that perhaps
it had installed improperly. I was unsuccessful.

I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:

steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package wine is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
steven@Yeshua:~$

This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
installed application.

I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the forums
about Wine and e-Sword, without success.

My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it is not
installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as installed.
Thank you for any useful instructions.

If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command line
purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next step should
be.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Eberhard Roloff
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On 01/25/2010 02:35 PM, Steven Vollom wrote:

> steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> steven@Yeshua:~$
>
> This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
> installed application.
>
Dar Steven,

forget about the kmenu entry.
just try this
sudo apt-get install wine

Then as a next step, you should use this as user steven
winecfg

Go through the menue and adjust to your taste. This is
mostly just to be on the safe side, since you can usually
leave anything as it is.

Lastly go with the commandline to where your e-sword
executable is located and try this
wine nameofeswordexecutable

where you change "nameofeswordexecutable" to the name of the
application that you want to install.

Then report back, what happens.

Kind regards
Eberhard




> I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the forums
> about Wine and e-Sword, without success.
>
> My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it is not
> installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as installed.
> Thank you for any useful instructions.
>
> If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command line
> purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next step should
> be.
>
> Steven
>



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Clay Weber
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 08:35:35 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> My OS is Kubuntu Karmic. I have an AMD quad core 9600 processor with 4gb
> of SDRAM. I attempted installation of e-Sword and failed.
>
> As per instructions,

Instructions from where?

> I installed the Wine 1.1.37 version.

From where, or how did you do this?

> When attempting
> the installation of e-Sword, the computer froze at 97% of the
> installation. It required a re-boot to continue.
>
> After booting, I confirmed that Wine was installed by looking in Kmenu
> Applications, then attempted installing e-Sword again using the e-Sword
> installer. The application failed with the following error message:
> Package: e-sword-installer, Status: Error: Cannot install 'wine'.

The actual e-sword windows installer, or some other installer that helps
install wine and some windows apps for linux?

>
> I attempted to repair any broken package by using the command, "sudo dpkg
> -- configure -a". It appeared to work, because I was returned to my
> command line prompt, steven@Yeshua:~$. I was not successful it repairing
> any broken package though, if that was the appropriate command.
>
> Using the Wine uninstaller,

Wine uninstaller? What is that and how do you get to it?
If you are using some wine helper app or script to install windows programs, I
have found these are often flaky if they even work at all.

The easiest thing to do is to install wine directly from the repos, using apt-
get or whatever, then delete the hidden .wine folder from your home directory
(to clean out any mangled wine configuration data), then download the esword
installer directly from esword, and try simply double-clicking that.

In my opinion, if that does not work all by itself, then you are either going
to have to do far too much work to get it running, or it simply won't easily
run at all.

> I attempted to remove Wine, thinking that
> perhaps it had installed improperly. I was unsuccessful.
>
> I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
>
> steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> steven@Yeshua:~$
>
> This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
> installed application.

Often wine leaves these menu entries behind, so you did remove wine.

> I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the forums
> about Wine and e-Sword, without success.
>
> My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it is
> not installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as
> installed. Thank you for any useful instructions.
>
> If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command line
> purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next step should
> be.
>

You can't purge if nothing is installed to purge

> Steven
>

Have you tried out bibletime or xiphos ? Wine can often be a major pain in the
butt., as you are seeing right now.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Frans Ketelaars
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:35:35 -0500, Steven Vollom wrote:

> My OS is Kubuntu Karmic. I have an AMD quad core 9600 processor with
> 4gb of SDRAM. I attempted installation of e-Sword and failed.
>
> As per instructions, I installed the Wine 1.1.37 version. When
> attempting the installation of e-Sword, the computer froze at 97% of the
> installation. It required a re-boot to continue.

You _decided_ to reboot

> After booting, I confirmed that Wine was installed by looking in Kmenu
> Applications, then attempted installing e-Sword again using the e-Sword
> installer. The application failed with the following error message:
> Package: e-sword-installer, Status: Error: Cannot install 'wine'.
>
> I attempted to repair any broken package by using the command, "sudo
> dpkg -- configure -a".

According to "man dpkg" there shouldn't be a space before "configure", so
I guess you meant "sudo dpkg --configure -a". Probably just a typo in
your email.

> It appeared to work, because I was returned to
> my command line prompt, steven@Yeshua:~$. I was not successful it
> repairing any broken package though, if that was the appropriate
> command.
>
> Using the Wine uninstaller, I attempted to remove Wine, thinking that
> perhaps it had installed improperly. I was unsuccessful.
>
> I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
>
> steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package wine is not installed, so not removed 0 upgraded, 0 newly
> installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. steven@Yeshua:~$
>
> This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
> installed application.
>
> I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the
> forums about Wine and e-Sword, without success.
>
> My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it
> is not installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as
> installed. Thank you for any useful instructions.
>
> If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command
> line purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next
> step should be.
>
> Steven

Good luck!

-Frans


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 11:03:07 am Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> On 01/25/2010 02:35 PM, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > steven@Yeshua:~$
> >
> > This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
> > installed application.
>
> Dar Steven,
>
> forget about the kmenu entry.
> just try this
> sudo apt-get install wine
>
> Then as a next step, you should use this as user steven
> winecfg
I do not understand what you mean here. Here is what I did: I opened winecfg
and clicked on Add application>double-clicked on users and got a steven
folder>I double-clicked on the steven folder and it opened /home/steven. At
that point I could not see anything to do.
>
> Go through the menue and adjust to your taste. This is
> mostly just to be on the safe side, since you can usually
> leave anything as it is.
If this is wincfg selections, I did that already. Strangely enough, I thought
I installed wine1.2, but in 'About' it indicated that I have the correct wine
installation wine1.1.37. Strange.
>
> Lastly go with the commandline to where your e-sword
> executable is located and try this
> wine nameofeswordexecutable
The e-Sword executable is a part of the e-Sword installer, but when I attempt
to install, I get the error message that I have already mentioned, I think
twice.
>
> where you change "nameofeswordexecutable" to the name of the
> application that you want to install.
I conducted all of the steps that are below before I did the steps that are
interspersed with your comments. As it stands now, I believe Wine1.1.37 is
properly installed and the proper dlls have been added.

I am stopping here. I am inclined to want to delete the e-Sword installer and
re-install, however, I am not sure that is the proper approach for removal of
the installer. It is located in my Desktop folder.
>
> Then report back, what happens.
To give an accurate report, I could not lean out the comments any more than
they are. Sorry for the windy reply.

Steven
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard
>
> > I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the
> > forums about Wine and e-Sword, without success.
> >
> > My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it
> > is not installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as
> > installed. Thank you for any useful instructions.
> >
> > If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command
> > line purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next
step
> > should be.
> >
> > Steven
>
Dear Eberhard,

The problem with the instruction is that for my particular hardware and
Operating System, the only Wine application that will install e-Sword is the
Wine 1.1.37 version. So if I just install as per your instruction, I will not
be able to get a working e-Sword, which is my only reason for having Wine in
the first place.

I have installed it successfully before; I really do not understand what the
glitch was in the installation that caused it to freeze at the 97% point. But
now that that has happened, I believe I have an unusual problem, which you did
not address. When I open the Kmenu, there is an entry for Wine and the
various internal applications that are a part of Wine. That suggests that
Wine is installed. But when I try to apply the Wine application, the computer
says that Wine is not installed.

First, can I install Wine when the icons that indicate the various
capabilities are already in the computer; or do I have to remove those
features prior to installation?

Secondly, if the wine version that I must install for e-Sword to work is Wine
1.1.37, can I install it by typing the command: sudo apt-get install
wine1.1.37; the experimental version of Wine is a critical decision. Without
it, I cannot have my e-Sword program.

When I attempted the above code, the computer said it could not find
wine1.1.37. I am reasonably confident that I can install the stable version,
but that defeats my purpose, for the only reason to have wine installed is to
use the e-Sword program. That is the most important application for my
computer. It supersedes everything else.

I will try it, just to see if it works, however, if e-Sword can not be
successfully installed, I will have to remove it later.

The following is the process I attempted. I was stopped from installing even
when I used your suggestion, and the unmet dependencies were not mentioned
as they usually are. If they had been mentioned, I would have attempted to
find and install them to resolve the missing packages. Here it is:

steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.1.37
[sudo] password for steven:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package wine1.1.37
steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get install wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine: Depends: wine1.2 but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
steven@Yeshua:~$

I just installed wine1.2, I believe. Here is the result.

steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
wine1.2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
steven@Yeshua:~$

I am confused; did sudo dpkg --configure -a install wine1.2? Is wine1.2 a more
recent version, and by its even number a stable version which contains the
necessary dependencies? I am confused, it said missing dependencies (plural)
and I think I only installed wine1.2.

Following installation of dll requirements, I installed and set to native
riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll. I attempted installation of e-Sword using the
e-Sword installer and failed with the following error message: Package: e-
sword-installer Status; Error: Cannot install 'wine'



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 11:06:16 am Clay Weber wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 08:35:35 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> > My OS is Kubuntu Karmic. I have an AMD quad core 9600 processor with
4gb
> > of SDRAM. I attempted installation of e-Sword and failed.
> >
> > As per instructions,
>
> Instructions from where?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=372359&page=20 David, one of
our members created this application and it usually works beautifully, so I am
not sure how the glitch formed.
>
> > I installed the Wine 1.1.37 version.
http://www.winehq.org/download/deb I followed instruction from here.
ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa then added to KpackageKit>updated and clicked on install
for the wine installation, the first time. I installed again after hearing
from Eberhard; this time Wine installed properly with ver. wine1.1.37.
>
> From where, or how did you do this?
I hope I am spelling David Kundate's name correctly. He created the e-Sword
installer. That is what I have been attempting to use. I am having difficulty
tracing my steps to the e-Sword installer, however I have in in my Desktop
folder. When you double-click on the installer, it usually does everything
including provide the bible options and other related exe's.
>
> > When attempting
> > the installation of e-Sword, the computer froze at 97% of the
> > installation. It required a re-boot to continue.
> >
> > After booting, I confirmed that Wine was installed by looking in Kmenu
> > Applications, then attempted installing e-Sword again using the e-Sword
> > installer. The application failed with the following error message:
> > Package: e-sword-installer, Status: Error: Cannot install 'wine'.
>
> The actual e-sword windows installer, or some other installer that helps
> install wine and some windows apps for linux?
>
> > I attempted to repair any broken package by using the command, "sudo
dpkg
> > -- configure -a". It appeared to work, because I was returned to my
> > command line prompt, steven@Yeshua:~$. I was not successful it
> > repairing any broken package though, if that was the appropriate command.
> >
> > Using the Wine uninstaller,
>
> Wine uninstaller? What is that and how do you get to it?
> If you are using some wine helper app or script to install windows
> programs, I have found these are often flaky if they even work at all.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to install wine directly from the repos, using
> apt- get or whatever, then delete the hidden .wine folder from your home
> directory (to clean out any mangled wine configuration data), then
> download the esword installer directly from esword, and try simply
> double-clicking that.
>
> In my opinion, if that does not work all by itself, then you are either
> going to have to do far too much work to get it running, or it simply
> won't easily run at all.
>
> > I attempted to remove Wine, thinking that
> > perhaps it had installed improperly. I was unsuccessful.
> >
> > I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
> >
> > steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > steven@Yeshua:~$
> >
> > This is confusing, because when I open Kmenu, it shows that Wine is an
> > installed application.
>
> Often wine leaves these menu entries behind, so you did remove wine.
>
> > I do not know what to do now. I have read everything posted in the
> > forums about Wine and e-Sword, without success.
> >
> > My instinct is that I must purge Wine, even though command line says it
> > is not installed, since it still shows on the menu of applications as
> > installed. Thank you for any useful instructions.
> >
> > If purge is required, please advise appropriate wording for a command
> > line purging of unwanted packages and dependencies, and what my next
step
> > should be.
>
> You can't purge if nothing is installed to purge
>
> > Steven
>
> Have you tried out bibletime or xiphos ? Wine can often be a major pain in
> the butt., as you are seeing right now.
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 03:27:16 pm Frans Ketelaars wrote:
>
>
Dear Frans,

The computer was frozen; I could get nothing to change or move. I could not
open a terminal or change applications, not anything. So I shut the system
down and allowed it to re-boot. Many times that fixes a problem anyway. You
underlined 'decided'; I am confused. I got the wink but still do not
understand.

As far as the space before configure is concerned, yes, it is a typo that I
overlooked, sorry.

Thanks for the Good luck! Eventually things work out. I can't believe how
many different ways a single procedure can be screwed up. I have successfully
installed in the 5 previous distributions; I think I had a different kind of
problem in each installation. Perhaps I should spend all my time installing
applications until I can list all the ways not to install. I seem to be an
expert at that.

Cordially,
Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 8:06:16 am Clay Weber wrote:
> Have you tried out bibletime or xiphos ? Wine can often be a major pain in
> the butt., as you are seeing right now.

I think the same way. I tried to use wine and e-sword early on (ibex?) and
had nothing but trouble with it. I decided to give BibleTime a chance and
WOW, it ran circles around e-sword and just worked!! Uses all the sword
project Bibles only faster and better for a minister building weekly sermons!
Never looked back and was able to drop all windoze stuff off of my computer!
You can't get me back to that "business" OS without a lot of kickin' and
screamin' and even so, if you do, ...YOU are going to hurt alot!! I still
running Hardy Kubuntu with BibleTime 2.5 but plan to upgrade to 10.04 (the
next LTS release) about a week or so after it comes live. It REALLY feels so
much better to be windoze free!




--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Bruce MacArthur
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Monday 25 January 2010 03:18:15 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 8:06:16 am Clay Weber wrote:
> > Have you tried out bibletime or xiphos ? Wine can often be a major
pain in the butt., as you are seeing right now.
>
> I think the same way. I tried to use wine and e-sword early on
(ibex?) and had nothing but trouble with it. I decided to give
BibleTime a chance and WOW, it ran circles around e-sword and just
worked!! Uses all the sword project Bibles only faster and better for a
minister building weekly sermons! Never looked back and was able to
drop all windoze stuff off of my computer! You can't get me back to that
"business" OS without a lot of kickin' and screamin' and even so, if you
do, ...YOU are going to hurt alot!! I still running Hardy Kubuntu with
BibleTime 2.5 but plan to upgrade to 10.04 (the next LTS release) about
a week or so after it comes live. It REALLY feels so much better to be
windoze free!
>
>
>
>
> --
> 73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
> http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
> http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>

Well over a decade ago (in my "Wyn-Doze incarnation"!!!), I got a LOT of
books "unlocked" with Logos Research Systems and their outstanding Bible
study package. When I went to Linux (originally in OpenSuSE), I
seriously regretted -- but accepted -- the loss. Since then, I have
upgraded to Kubuntu Jaunty, installed VirtualBox-OSE, and installed a
legitimate WinXP virtual machine -- for almost no purpose other than
running the updated Logos "Libronix". I am upgrading to their new
"Logos 4", but NOT using the new packages. (They are too expensive for
me.) Instead, I will simply update the application software and the file
formats of my existing (roughly 400) books. Again, however, this is
virtually ALL that I do with WinXXX.

I recently purchased a "netbook" instead of going the Kindle route.
Kindle cannot "do" Logos / Libronix AND has severely limited capacities.
The same is true for the Sony readers. I get much better features and
capacities -- at a similar price -- with the netbook. It came with XP
Home loaded -- and with NO installation media! I decided to tolerate
this.

In addition to Logos / Libronix, I have some highly specialized software
that I use in my study of anti-cultic apologetics. Most of this is in a
proprietary database which I have not been able to "recognize" in Linux,
so I have installed that both on the VB "machine" and on the netbook.
Some related material is in .pdf files, but (since they get used together
with the database product) I have put them in the same places.

This arrangement works for me -- and the netbook lets me "flip pages" (at
church) a LOT faster than paper books do! In addition, I get to look at
English, Spanish, and even Chinese text -- scrolling together, no less!
-- all at the same time. The screen is too small to also bring up Greek
and Hebrew (let alone Dutch, Latin, etc.!), but I do not yet read any of
these languages -- so "No PROBlem!

I don't know that i would recommend quite this way of doing things for
anyone else, but Logos on netbook is a near-perfect "solution" for my
own purposes. Now if ONLY they would make Logos-On-Linux!!!!!



Bruce Mac Arthur
bmacasuru@fastmail.us


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
David Kuntadi
 
Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I used the command: *sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
>
> steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> steven@Yeshua:~$

Ubuntu 9.10 provide 2 wine versions: wine and wine1.2
In this case, you have installed wine1.2. So, the correct command is:

sudo apt-get remove wine1.2

I have made deb installer for ubuntu 9.10, you could donwload it from below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/ubuntu-ce_1.8_all.deb

It would force you to use wine, not wine2.1. Please try the new
installer, it is the same as previous installer except now it would
use wine instead of wine1.2

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org