Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 PM
David Kuntadi

Default Failed installation of Wine and e-Sword.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> > I installed the Wine 1.1.37 version.
> http://www.winehq.org/download/deb *I followed instruction from here.
> ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa *then added to KpackageKit>updated and clicked on install
> for the wine installation, the first time. *I installed again after hearing
> from Eberhard; this time Wine installed properly with ver. wine1.1.37.

Please remove the ppa as ubuntu already has both wine on the universe
repository.

DK

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 25 January 2010 05:04:34 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
> >
> > steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > steven@Yeshua:~$
>
> Ubuntu 9.10 provide 2 wine versions: wine and wine1.2
> In this case, you have installed wine1.2. So, the correct command is:
>
> sudo apt-get remove wine1.2
>
> I have made deb installer for ubuntu 9.10, you could donwload it from
> below:
>
> http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/ubuntu-ce_1.8_all.deb
>
> It would force you to use wine, not wine2.1. Please try the new
> installer, it is the same as previous installer except now it would
> use wine instead of wine1.2

Dear David,

I hope my problem does not reflect on your fine application. It worked fine in
the past, always the problems have been other than your installer. Truely I
am getting a little more experienced. I just opened the Wine configuration and
clicked on the About tab. It says that I have Wine 1.1.37 installed, not Wine
1.2. Is there any possibility that I somehow corrupted the installer
installation? I copied a png of the configuration to assure you.

I can see I mispelled your name. I am sorry. While you are receiving this, I
will remove the previous installer and download the one you gave me the
address for. If I am successful, I will post as 'SOLVED'. Thanks! Nice to
hear from you.

Steven

Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 25 January 2010 07:56:55 pm David Kuntadi wrote:

> > http://www.winehq.org/download/deb I followed instruction from here.
> > ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa then added to KpackageKit>updated and clicked on
> > install for the wine installation, the first time. I installed again
> > after hearing from Eberhard; this time Wine installed properly with ver.
> > wine1.1.37.
>
> Please remove the ppa as ubuntu already has both wine on the universe
> repository.
>
> DK

Will do, thanks David.

Steven

Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 25 January 2010 05:04:34 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I used the command: sudo apt-get remove wine, and got the following:
> >
> > steven@Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get remove wine
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package wine is not installed, so not removed
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > steven@Yeshua:~$
>
> Ubuntu 9.10 provide 2 wine versions: wine and wine1.2
> In this case, you have installed wine1.2. So, the correct command is:
>
> sudo apt-get remove wine1.2
>
> I have made deb installer for ubuntu 9.10, you could donwload it from
> below:
>
> http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/ubuntu-ce_1.8_all.deb
>
> It would force you to use wine, not wine2.1. Please try the new
> installer, it is the same as previous installer except now it would
> use wine instead of wine1.2

I removed the ppa as recommended, I clicked on the link you provided,
http://ununtuce.com/repos/Ubuntu CE/karmic_i3iy/ubuntu-cd_1.8 all.deb, and a
window opened. The title bar says Package Installer - ubuntu-ce, Package:
ubuntu-ce, Status: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: e-sword-installer,
and the "Install Package" is not active, so I can not install it. What should
I do? I included a screen-print of the window that opened. Thanks!

Steven

Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 AM
David Kuntadi

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I removed the ppa as recommended, I clicked on the link you provided,
> http://ununtuce.com/repos/Ubuntu CE/karmic_i3iy/ubuntu-cd_1.8 all.deb, and a
> window opened. *The title bar says Package Installer - ubuntu-ce, Package:
> ubuntu-ce, Status: *Error: *Dependency is not satisfiable: e-sword-installer,
> and the "Install Package" is not active, so I can not install it. *What should
> I do? *I included a screen-print of the window that opened. *Thanks!

Really sorry, I give you wrong link. The correct link is:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/e-sword-installer_1.7_all.deb

Please remove all wine first and ppa repository, but add universe repository.

DK

Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 25 January 2010 09:44:51 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I removed the ppa as recommended, I clicked on the link you provided,
> > http://ununtuce.com/repos/Ubuntu CE/karmic_i3iy/ubuntu-cd_1.8 all.deb,
> > and a window opened. The title bar says Package Installer - ubuntu-ce,
> > Package: ubuntu-ce, Status: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:
> > e-sword-installer, and the "Install Package" is not active, so I can not
> > install it. What should I do? I included a screen-print of the window
> > that opened. Thanks!
>
> Really sorry, I give you wrong link. The correct link is:
>
> http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/e-sword-installer_1.7_all.d
> eb
>
> Please remove all wine first and ppa repository, but add universe
> repository.
>
> DK

Dear David,

You have only helped me; no apology ever please, but I am back to a problem
that is perhaps overlooked. Right now, using the uninstall feature of Wine,
the instruction for removal says to highlight what you want to remove from the
list, however there is nothing listed.

When I click on the Kmenu>Applications>there is an entry for Wine>when I click
on Wine there are two choices Configure Wine/Uninstall Wine Software>when I
click on Uninstall Wine Software>I get a window showing the add/remove
application for Wine. When I try to make a PNG of just that window,
PrintScreen won't print that portion of the Desktop only so the PNG is too
large to send, however it instructs to highlight what you are to remove, and
there is nothing listed that can be removed. I will send the larger PNG to
your private address for you to see.

I have tried to: sudo apt-get remove wine, too. When I do, it says Wine is
not installed. Still, when I go through all the steps to get Wine 1.1.37
installed again and the about option of configuration indicates that Wine
1.1.37 is installed, I still get the warning

Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
David Kuntadi

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>*Right now, using the uninstall feature of Wine,
> the instruction for removal says to highlight what you want to remove from the
> list, however there is nothing listed.

What do you want to remove? I thought there is nothing to remove as
you have not installed anything.

> When I click on the Kmenu>Applications>there is an entry for Wine>when I click
> on Wine there are two choices Configure Wine/Uninstall Wine Software>when I
> click on Uninstall Wine Software>I get a window showing the add/remove
> application for Wine

No, this is not the way.

> I have tried to: *sudo apt-get remove wine, too. *When I do, it says Wine is
> not installed. *Still, when I go through all the steps to get Wine 1.1.37
> installed again and the about option of configuration indicates that Wine
> 1.1.37 is installed, I still get the warning

To check, try to run in terminal:

wine --version

You have to open the universe repository . Please give me the output of:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

DK

Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Steven Vollom

On Friday 29 January 2010 05:24:22 am David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Right now, using the uninstall feature of Wine,
> > the instruction for removal says to highlight what you want to remove
> > from the list, however there is nothing listed.
>
> What do you want to remove? I thought there is nothing to remove as
> you have not installed anything.

Right now, David, I am not sure if I have received other emails from you which
I have followed prior to receiving this one. In an attempt to get back to
where we are both on the same page, I will give you a current, as of this
moment copy of my cat /etc/apt/sources.list. But before you read it,
understand that of this moment, I have followed instructions of emails you
sent in the past where I removed all entries of wine, and as per your then
instructions have installed Wine back in my computer now. The version is Wine
1.1.37. I also have your e-sword installer in my computer. If I go to
Kmenu>System>(I have an entry, with Icon, which is entitled)e-sword-installer.
When I click on the e-sword-installer to install e-Sword, I get a brief
glimpse of a terminal, but it does not remain on the screen long enough to
read it before it disappears. No installation takes place. I have attempted
that procedure of trying to install again, and I copied the brief terminal
page using the PrintScreen. After you have read my current sources list, take
a look at the screen print of the terminal page that appears when attempting
to install e-Sword.

After you have read my sources.list, then after you have viewed the screen
print of the terminal page that opened when I attempted to install e-Sword,
here are further complications that developed.

First, my Kmail panel is located at the top of my screen, by choice, so when
the terminal page opened at the top of the screen, it covered my panel. When
I attempted to move the terminal page down a bit to uncover my menu panel (my
menu panel hides until the cursor comes to the top of the screen) but another
panel appeared which covered both the terminal page, as well as, my menu
panel, so I was unable to use the (top line of any application, which you can
use to drag a page or resize or remove a page) to drag the terminal page down
a bit so the Menu panel could open. I was kind of locked in that position
with an inability to close the open window.

To get out of this locked-in-place state, I pressed Alt +F2 and typed in
Konsole. I then entered the command sudo shutdown now -r and re-booted to get
a workable screen. After all this happened, I am writing you now.

At this point read the sources.list, then view the attached png.. If you
understand my current dilemma, please tell me how to proceed.

steven@Yeshua:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release amd64 (20091027)]/ karmic
main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-proposed restricted main
multiverse universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu karmic-security multiverse
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu karmic main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jre-phoenix/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jre-phoenix/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-proposed restricted main
multiverse u
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-proposed restricted main
multiverse universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security universe
steven@Yeshua:~$

Because to view the menu bar that covers the address bar of the shell page and
the Menu panel, to get a png for you to see, the size of the png is too large
for the list, 603.9KiB. The bar that covers has a few icons on it and is
about one inch high, the entire width of the screen. [Glenview is the
application that opened the page.] I was unable to resize that portion to get
the size down. If you want to see it, I can send it to your personal
location. Remember, if I do, it is 613KiB in size so if you have any
restriction that might keep a png that size from downloading, I will be unable
to do so.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Steven

I am not sure how we got mixed up, but I hope this gets us back on the same
page.

Thanks!
Steven

Old 01-30-2010, 12:58 AM
David Kuntadi

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am not sure how we got mixed up, but I hope this gets us back on the same
> page.

Again it is my mistake. The deb installer is for ubuntu, not kubuntu.
I have make a special package for you, hopefully I don't make any
other mistake.

DK

Old 01-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Steven Vollom

On Friday 29 January 2010 08:58:45 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I am not sure how we got mixed up, but I hope this gets us back on the
> > same page.
>
> Again it is my mistake. The deb installer is for ubuntu, not kubuntu.
> I have make a special package for you, hopefully I don't make any
> other mistake.
>
> DK

Dear David,

I am overwhelmed with your kindness. Had I know that you would do that, I
would have finished another way. Thanks seems inadequate but Thanks! anyway.

I will wait til tomorrow to install. My reason is, I have a 64bit system,
does it make a difference? My processor is a quad AMD, so it may work OK if
written for 32bit.

IC,
SV