Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Bas Roufs

Default Any experience with the "Starling NetBook"?

Hello Everybody

Does anyone have experience with the "Starling NetBook" from "System76"?

Is it possible to install at it an extra Kubuntu shell at it in addition to the default Ubuntu system?
How much time is autonomous life of a fully charged 6 cells ion battery of such a netbook?
Thanks for your comments. Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Paul Rumelhart

I'll have to let you know, I ordered one a week or so ago and it's due
to arrive tomorrow.

It's my understanding that you can install basically anything you want
to from the repositories, though some things might not work that well
because of the resolution, memory constraints, or performance. Not sure
if I'll try to change the desktop environment or not. It depends on how
much the pared down gnome thing annoys me.

From my research before buying one, the battery should last about 5 1/2
to 6 1/2 hours. We'll see if that's true or not.

Paul

Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Bas Roufs

Thanks for your quick reply.

2010/1/25 Paul Rumelhart <godshatter@yahoo.com>

> I'll have to let you know, I ordered one a week or so ago and it's due
> to arrive tomorrow.

Perhaps you could share your first impressions after a few days working with it.

> It's my understanding that you can install basically anything you want
> to from the repositories, though some things might not work that well
> because of the resolution, memory constraints, or performance. *Not sure
> if I'll try to change the desktop environment or not. *It depends on how
> much the pared down gnome thing annoys me.

Probably I would rather try add KDE/ Kubuntu as an extra desktop
environment - the stable "netbook remix" which will come along with
Kubuntu 10.04.LTS.

> *From my research before buying one, the battery should last about 5 1/2
> to 6 1/2 hours. *We'll see if that's true or not.

This is what I hear about every 6 cell battery.

However it may be, I am looking forward to hear from you again.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Paul and everybody else...

>> "Starling NetBook"....due to arrive tomorrow.,....

Is it possible for you to share something of your first experience at
this forum?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Paul Rumelhart

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Paul and everybody else...
>

>>> "Starling NetBook"....due to arrive tomorrow.,....
>>>

> Is it possible for you to share something of your first experience at
> this forum?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Well, it arrived yesterday. I haven't done much with it yet, but I'm
pleased so far. I let it charge while I went to work so I don't know
how much charge the battery might have had when it arrived. When I
first turned it on, it ran through some booting tasks and then ran me
through a setup wizard. It asked me for my locale information, my
timezone, my keyboard (I use dvorak, and there were two choices - dvorak
and classic dvorak), and it had me make an account. One nice thing is
that it has a choice to either let it boot up as the user all the time,
make you enter your password to login, or make you enter your password
to login and decrypt your drive. I didn't try the encryption option,
though I'll probably play around with it sometime. I thought that was a
nice touch for a computer I plan to use sometimes at conferences for
work. If I were buying it specifically for work, I'd definitely have
given the encryption a go.

The stripped down gnome interface is rather nice, so far. I haven't
done much with it yet but get it connected to my wireless network. I
have my router setup to use WPA2, which the netbook seemed to know
about, but I couldn't get it to connect. I changed to WPA on the
router, and it connected fine. That may have been an issue in my router
setup, I don't know. Firefox works great. I haven't set up email yet.

Other than that, I've just played a token game of same gnome and
mahjong. The touch pad takes a little getting used to, because the left
and right buttons are on the side instead of the bottom, where I'm used
to them. The keyboard is a little smaller than a normal laptop
keyboard, but I didn't have too much trouble adjusting to it. The
screen is nicely colorful. The netbook itself is really light. The
battery allows it to stand up a bit off the table, which I like.

The only other netbook I've used is one I gave to my sister. It had the
stripped down Windows 7 OS, and it severely limited you in
configuration. It was nice to see that ctrl-alt-F1 brought up a
terminal like normal on this one.

I haven't noticed any performance issues yet, I'll be interested to see
what that atom processor can do.

Paul