Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default New install on recent hardware, no composting

On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
trying to enable Desktop Effects:
"""
Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
options, especially changing the compositing type.
"""

Kubuntu 9.10
Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video

$ lspci
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Steve

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:16:35 -0000, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
> trying to enable Desktop Effects:
> """
> Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
> options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
> Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
> options, especially changing the compositing type.
> """
>
> Kubuntu 9.10
> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video
>
> $ lspci
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200
> Graphics

I would assume it’s a video driver problem. The xorg log should tell you
if it’s detecting and installing the correct driver.

--
Steve

Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
William Hamra

On 24/01/10 12:16, Dotan Cohen wrote:

On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
trying to enable Desktop Effects:
"""
Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
options, especially changing the compositing type.
"""

Kubuntu 9.10
Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video

$ lspci
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

and are the drivers installed correctly? the drivers that enable
compositing? can you confirm using envyng or jockey-kde?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Donn

On Sunday 24 January 2010 12:16:35 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
> options.
I have found that locating that file (in ~/.kde someplace) and removing all
lines regarding compositing -- and then starting over seems to help.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Have you installed fglrx?
The open-source drivers installed by default on Kunbuntu-9.10 don't
accelerate OpenGL for now as far as I know (although latest driver
versions are already good enough to run some "real" OpenGL games,
however that is not included in Kubuntu).

- Clemens

Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday 24 January 2010 05:16:35 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
> trying to enable Desktop Effects:
> """
> Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
> options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
> Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
> options, especially changing the compositing type.
> """
>
> Kubuntu 9.10
> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video
>
> $ lspci
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200
> Graphics

That chipset does not have compositing with the open drivers, you will need to
install fglrx for that. The driver manager should be able to handle that for
you, else install the package xorg-driver-fglrx.

However, Lucid *will* have compositing available using the the open
drivers/newer kernel. I have the on-board radeon hd 3200 myself, and in 10.04
compositing worked out of the box.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Steven Vollom

On Sunday 24 January 2010 05:16:35 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On a new install on rather recent hardware, I get this message when
> trying to enable Desktop Effects:
> """
> Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration
> options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
> Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced
> options, especially changing the compositing type.
> """
>
> Kubuntu 9.10
> Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI Motherboard with onboard ATI video
>
> $ lspci
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200
> Graphics

Dear Dotan,

This may or may not be helpful, however, I used to have similar problems.
First I would check by opening "Hardware Drivers" in System Settings. This is
if you are using either Jaunty or Karmic. Then make sure you update to the
appropriate driver for your Video Card. Then, in System Settings, open
"Desktop Effects" and check Enable desktop effects. Then click on the advanced
tab and you may have two options, OpenGL and XRender. If Desktop Effects were
not restored when you selected the appropriate driver, then choose the
alternate option in Composting type from the one you now have. Currently, I
am using XRender and Desktop Effects work fine, however, if I am not mistaken,
in Jaunty I used OpenGL to activate them. In any event none of these
suggestions should affect your system.

As I recall, at the bottom of the box containing Hardware Drivers, it will
tell you which driver is necessary to use if you want to enable Desktop
Effects. If you are using that driver all ready, the composting may correct
the problem.

Now remember this is Steven, the not so experienced person, but I am pretty
confident or I would not have supplied the suggestion. If you are using Hardy
or Intrepid, I don't know what will make things work anymore; it has been too
long since I operating using other. I sincerely hope this helps. You have
helped me so many times. It feels good just trying, my friend.

Steven