Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Steven Vollom

Default Is there a source for the best performing and supported hardware kubuntu karmic 64bit?

I am currently in the market for a gigabit router, and would like to purchase
the most compatible and best functioning for my computer.

Steven

Old 01-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Eberhard Roloff

On 01/24/2010 11:06 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I am currently in the market for a gigabit router, and would like to purchase
>> the most compatible and best functioning for my computer.
>>

> Glad to see you back!
>
> It may be out of date, but take a look at the official *buntu Hardware
> Compatibility List:
> http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

Also glad to have you back, Steven.

As far as I know, a gigabit router is a router that connects
the attached machines with a gigabit switch.

So there is nothing like a Ubuntu or windows capability, as
long as it has a more or less intuitive http:// website,
where you can configure your router features.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

On 24-01-10 05:08, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am currently in the market for a gigabit router, and would like to purchase
> the most compatible and best functioning for my computer.

Are you going to build your own router and run Ubuntu on it?
Or are you going to buy a hardware router with an embedded operating
system in firmware? Probably the latter? Then your computer does not matter.

If you have the money, you could buy an expensive professional router
like a Cisco router. 3com (now acquired by HP) also has professional
routers, and there are a few other brands.
For the most basic Cisco 2600 router, you would start at $500, but
prices go up to 4 numbers. Althogh I think that the 2600 is end of life,
so perhaps you will find it cheaper.

If you don't need professional material but just a simple router for
home use, you may want to take a look at Linksys. Typical prices are
around $100 or less, but please read the detailed specifications.
Gigabit networking still isn't mainstream for home networking.

--
Amedee