Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default 910 KU live boot CD Graphics fail 6yo Compaq laptop. (jor)

===== TRYING TO INSTALL KU 910, BUT GRAPHICS PROBLEMS
I'm working to see if I can get KU 910 onto a laptop that runs KU 904 ok (from the alternate, text based installer CD) (there are some minor existing issues like Kate & some other program occasionally get rectangles of garbage (typically dots on a black background)), but that doesn't affect the 910 install issue).

===== PROBLEMS:
KU 910 live boots to the GUI desktop display OK except:
1) the bottom task bar is all black
2) Mouse over where the K-start button is (LHS) & the popup window is garbage (ie, some incorrect graphic, perhaps a hash pattern, perhaps random, i don't recall exactly)).
3) left click on where the k-start button should be & the menu popup is garage
4) _right_ click on the k-s button, the popup is correct & readable. Select "classic menu style" & the menu properly changes to classic, & that menu displays ok. Further, now the bottom of screen task bar changes from black to gray garbage (hash pattern?).

So, maybe this is an X driver issue.

Or, maybe it is a KDE issue.

From the 910 _Ubuntu_ live boot CD, everything works properly graphics wise. I'm able to boot & the simple "robots" game displays on the screen, no graphics problems.

===== QUESTIONS:
So:
1) LIVE BOOT CD W/ PARTITION SHRINKER:
I want to get some live boot CD that has a partition shrinker, so I can shrink my existing linux partition, so I can keep my existing working 904 install, & also make room for a small partition to test out an install of KU 910.

What live boot CD has that capability? Knoppix? puppy??? It's been a while since I used one, & I don't know the current good rescue distros. Does an earlier KU live boot CD have the partition resizer?

Where is there a list of rescue CDs? Didn't distrowatch used to have a page listing them? I don't see it.
http://distrowatch.com/

2) PREFERRED 910 INSTALL METHOD - WHAT WILL GET GRAPHICS WORKING?
Given the graphics problems with 910 live CD, & desire for a properly working install might I be better off:
a) doing the 910 install on a fresh partition (using either live or alternate install), & do an apt-update to get the latest sw, & perhaps that graphics problem will go away, or
b) doing _another_ 904 KU install on a fresh partition, & then following the 904 to 910 upgrade procedure (which might pull in a working X driver newer than the one on the 910 live CD), or
c) ? something else?

===== TOOL TO SHOW HARDWARE? LIKE IN KDE 3 KCONTROL?
One final thought is about how KDE 3 used to have kcontrol that had some program to display hardware system info (Processor?? graphics?) - it's mainly the graphics hw I want to find out about.

Has that kcontrol program died out? I don't see anything like it in my desktop 904 KU system, which has upgrades to the ppa launchpad newer KDE 4 than comes with ku 904.

Is there any other tool for 910 KU that enables one to see the system hardware info? Maybe something from the GNOME system??

Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 06:01:20 am giovanni_re wrote:
> ===== TRYING TO INSTALL KU 910, BUT GRAPHICS PROBLEMS
> I'm working to see if I can get KU 910 onto a laptop that runs KU 904 ok
> (from the alternate, text based installer CD) (there are some minor
> existing issues like Kate & some other program occasionally get rectangles
> of garbage (typically dots on a black background)), but that doesn't
> affect the 910 install issue).
>
> ===== PROBLEMS:
> KU 910 live boots to the GUI desktop display OK except:
> 1) the bottom task bar is all black
> 2) Mouse over where the K-start button is (LHS) & the popup window is
> garbage (ie, some incorrect graphic, perhaps a hash pattern, perhaps
> random, i don't recall exactly)). 3) left click on where the k-start
> button should be & the menu popup is garage 4) _right_ click on the k-s
> button, the popup is correct & readable. Select "classic menu style" & the
> menu properly changes to classic, & that menu displays ok. Further, now
> the bottom of screen task bar changes from black to gray garbage (hash
> pattern?).
>
> So, maybe this is an X driver issue.

I have a 6 year old Compaq Evo N610C, and found the issue with your graphics
is a known bug in Karmic
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
ati/+bug/426582
This issue has been fixed in Lucid

To temporarily get your plasma bits working on a live-cd session, you might
try enabling desktop effects either via alt-shift-f12, or somehow open a window
with a titlebar , right-click on it , go to 'configure window behavior" and
enable desktop effects from there

To remedy this (after the install)
look here
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107466.msg203904#msg203904
You need to create a short xorg.conf file to fix it permanently *and* get decent
performance if you like desktop effects

> Or, maybe it is a KDE issue.
>
> From the 910 _Ubuntu_ live boot CD, everything works properly graphics
> wise. I'm able to boot & the simple "robots" game displays on the screen,
> no graphics problems.
>
> ===== QUESTIONS:
> So:
> 1) LIVE BOOT CD W/ PARTITION SHRINKER:
> I want to get some live boot CD that has a partition shrinker, so I can
> shrink my existing linux partition, so I can keep my existing working 904
> install, & also make room for a small partition to test out an install of
> KU 910.

The Kubuntu livecd should be able to do this, if the installer thinks it is
possible to do space-wise. I have not done so myself, but I have heard from
some that the option does not always show up

> What live boot CD has that capability? Knoppix? puppy??? It's been a while
> since I used one, & I don't know the current good rescue distros. Does an
> earlier KU live boot CD have the partition resizer?

Parted Magic

> Where is there a list of rescue CDs? Didn't distrowatch used to have a
> page listing them? I don't see it. http://distrowatch.com/
>

> 2) PREFERRED 910 INSTALL METHOD - WHAT WILL GET GRAPHICS WORKING?
> Given the graphics problems with 910 live CD, & desire for a properly
> working install might I be better off: a) doing the 910 install on a fresh
> partition (using either live or alternate install), & do an apt-update to
> get the latest sw, & perhaps that graphics problem will go away, or b)
> doing _another_ 904 KU install on a fresh partition, & then following the
> 904 to 910 upgrade procedure (which might pull in a working X driver newer
> than the one on the 910 live CD), or c) ? something else?

You will most likely have the graphics problem doing an upgrade (I did) as it
is the newer driver/hardware detection that causes this problem.

> ===== TOOL TO SHOW HARDWARE? LIKE IN KDE 3 KCONTROL?
> One final thought is about how KDE 3 used to have kcontrol that had some
> program to display hardware system info (Processor?? graphics?) - it's
> mainly the graphics hw I want to find out about.
>
> Has that kcontrol program died out? I don't see anything like it in my
> desktop 904 KU system, which has upgrades to the ppa launchpad newer KDE 4
> than comes with ku 904.

System Settings has replaced it - you can now configure it to have a tree view
much similar to kcontrol

> Is there any other tool for 910 KU that enables one to see the system
> hardware info? Maybe something from the GNOME system??

Try installing 'kinfocenter'

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 AM
"giovanni_re"

Thanks Clay - still some problems, see below:

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:22:18 -0500, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com> said:
> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 06:01:20 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > ===== TRYING TO INSTALL KU 910, BUT GRAPHICS PROBLEMS
> > I'm working to see if I can get KU 910 onto a laptop that runs KU 904 ok
> > (from the alternate, text based installer CD) (there are some minor
> > existing issues like Kate & some other program occasionally get rectangles
> > of garbage (typically dots on a black background)), but that doesn't
> > affect the 910 install issue).
> >
> > ===== PROBLEMS:
> > KU 910 live boots to the GUI desktop display OK except:
> > 1) the bottom task bar is all black
> > 2) Mouse over where the K-start button is (LHS) & the popup window is
> > garbage (ie, some incorrect graphic, perhaps a hash pattern, perhaps
> > random, i don't recall exactly)). 3) left click on where the k-start
> > button should be & the menu popup is garage 4) _right_ click on the k-s
> > button, the popup is correct & readable. Select "classic menu style" & the
> > menu properly changes to classic, & that menu displays ok. Further, now
> > the bottom of screen task bar changes from black to gray garbage (hash
> > pattern?).
> >
> > So, maybe this is an X driver issue.
> >
> I have a 6 year old Compaq Evo N610C, and found the issue with your
> graphics
> is a known bug in Karmic
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
> ati/+bug/426582
> This issue has been fixed in Lucid
>
> To temporarily get your plasma bits working on a live-cd session, you might
> try enabling desktop effects either via alt-shift-f12, or somehow open a window
> with a titlebar , right-click on it , go to 'configure window behavior" and
> enable desktop effects from there

Clay - you've got exactly the same computer: Compag Evo N610c. IIRC this has 1GB RAM.

1) Boot up, get the desktop background & blacked out bottom bar, right click where KStart button is, select "classic menu style", (now get grey garbage instead of black bottom bar), left click where KStart button should be, classic menu displays, select "settings > system settings", it comes up with garbage top bar, right click that, select "config window behavior", enable check box for "desktop effects", select OK, BUG: Get all black display with white pointer arrow & touchpad no longer works - can't move pointer or do anything - completely locked up, have to power off power on.

2) alt-shift-f12 does nothing. The only key combo with f12 that does anything is ctrl-alt-f12, which gives me a completely garbage screen, same as dong ctrl-alt-f1. Then ctl-alt-f7 brings me back to the KDE-graphics-desktop display.

Clay or anyone - further suggestions??

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday 25 January 2010 12:11:24 am giovanni_re wrote:
> Thanks Clay - still some problems, see below:
>
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:22:18 -0500, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com>
said:
> > On Tuesday 19 January 2010 06:01:20 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > > ===== TRYING TO INSTALL KU 910, BUT GRAPHICS PROBLEMS
> > > I'm working to see if I can get KU 910 onto a laptop that runs KU 904
> > > ok (from the alternate, text based installer CD) (there are some minor
> > > existing issues like Kate & some other program occasionally get
> > > rectangles of garbage (typically dots on a black background)), but that
> > > doesn't affect the 910 install issue).
> > >
> > > ===== PROBLEMS:
> > > KU 910 live boots to the GUI desktop display OK except:
> > > 1) the bottom task bar is all black
> > > 2) Mouse over where the K-start button is (LHS) & the popup window is
> > > garbage (ie, some incorrect graphic, perhaps a hash pattern, perhaps
> > > random, i don't recall exactly)). 3) left click on where the k-start
> > > button should be & the menu popup is garage 4) _right_ click on the
> > > k-s button, the popup is correct & readable. Select "classic menu
> > > style" & the menu properly changes to classic, & that menu displays ok.
> > > Further, now the bottom of screen task bar changes from black to gray
> > > garbage (hash pattern?).
> > >
> > > So, maybe this is an X driver issue.
> >
> > I have a 6 year old Compaq Evo N610C, and found the issue with your
> > graphics
> > is a known bug in Karmic
> > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
> > ati/+bug/426582
> > This issue has been fixed in Lucid
> >
> > To temporarily get your plasma bits working on a live-cd session, you
> > might try enabling desktop effects either via alt-shift-f12, or somehow
> > open a window with a titlebar , right-click on it , go to 'configure
> > window behavior" and enable desktop effects from there
>
> Clay - you've got exactly the same computer: Compag Evo N610c. IIRC this
> has 1GB RAM.
>
> 1) Boot up, get the desktop background & blacked out bottom bar, right
> click where KStart button is, select "classic menu style", (now get grey
> garbage instead of black bottom bar), left click where KStart button
> should be, classic menu displays, select "settings > system settings", it
> comes up with garbage top bar, right click that, select "config window
> behavior", enable check box for "desktop effects", select OK, BUG: Get all
> black display with white pointer arrow & touchpad no longer works - can't
> move pointer or do anything - completely locked up, have to power off
> power on.
>
> 2) alt-shift-f12 does nothing. The only key combo with f12 that does
> anything is ctrl-alt-f12, which gives me a completely garbage screen, same
> as dong ctrl-alt-f1. Then ctl-alt-f7 brings me back to the
> KDE-graphics-desktop display.
>
> Clay or anyone - further suggestions??
>
> Thanks

As I mentioned, you have to somehow open a window with a (garbled, I know)
titlebar - try to right-click on your desktop and select 'desktop settings' or
similar, then right-click on the titlebar and select 'Window Behavior' to
bring up the plasma/desktop effects config and enable them from there.

Then see my comment in the report for the xorg.cong file you need to create to
fix it better and permanently.

EXA is the default acceleration method these days, but on lower-memory gpu's
don't handle that so well,and performance can be poor (slow) using it. Using
the settings I found makes it work so much better. I do not recommend playing
with Desktop Activities, however, as this will seriously bog the 'ole laptop
down

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 AM
"giovanni_re"

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:30:06 -0500, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com> said:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 12:11:24 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > Thanks Clay - still some problems, see below:
> > > I have a 6 year old Compaq Evo N610C, and found the issue with your
> > > graphics
> > > is a known bug in Karmic
> > > https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-
> > > ati/+bug/426582
> > > This issue has been fixed in Lucid
> > >
> > > To temporarily get your plasma bits working on a live-cd session, you
> > > might try enabling desktop effects either via alt-shift-f12, or somehow
> > > open a window with a titlebar , right-click on it , go to 'configure
> > > window behavior" and enable desktop effects from there
> >
> > Clay - you've got exactly the same computer: Compag Evo N610c. IIRC this
> > has 1GB RAM.
> >
> > 1) Boot up, get the desktop background & blacked out bottom bar, right
> > click where KStart button is, select "classic menu style", (now get grey
> > garbage instead of black bottom bar), left click where KStart button
> > should be, classic menu displays, select "settings > system settings", it
> > comes up with garbage top bar, right click that, select "config window
> > behavior", enable check box for "desktop effects", select OK, BUG: Get all
> > black display with white pointer arrow & touchpad no longer works - can't
> > move pointer or do anything - completely locked up, have to power off
> > power on.
> >
> > 2) alt-shift-f12 does nothing. The only key combo with f12 that does
> > anything is ctrl-alt-f12, which gives me a completely garbage screen, same
> > as dong ctrl-alt-f1. Then ctl-alt-f7 brings me back to the
> > KDE-graphics-desktop display.
> >
> > Clay or anyone - further suggestions??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> As I mentioned, you have to somehow open a window with a (garbled, I know)
> titlebar - try to right-click on your desktop and select 'desktop settings' or
> similar, then right-click on the titlebar and select 'Window Behavior' to
> bring up the plasma/desktop effects config and enable them from there.
>
> Then see my comment in the report for the xorg.cong file you need to create to
> fix it better and permanently.
>
> EXA is the default acceleration method these days, but on lower-memory gpu's
> don't handle that so well,and performance can be poor (slow) using it. Using
> the settings I found makes it work so much better. I do not recommend playing
> with Desktop Activities, however, as this will seriously bog the 'ole laptop
> down

Thanks again Clay

But, Ive done what you suggested to (that's what I said above). I retried with _exactly_ the method you described right above, same bad result: black screen, white pointer, totally locked up (this is when boot from live KU 910 cd).

It's curious how we have the exact same laptop, & different behaior. Not to say you've forgotten [ ], but have you done that _exact_ procedure (which you just described) with a KU 910 live cd, on that laptop, recently? Perhaps something is working differently now.

Any further suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday 25 January 2010 11:43:34 pm giovanni_re wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:30:06 -0500, "Clay Weber" <claydoh@midmaine.com>
said:
> > On Monday 25 January 2010 12:11:24 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > > Thanks Clay - still some problems, see below:

> > > Clay - you've got exactly the same computer: Compag Evo N610c. IIRC
> > > this has 1GB RAM.
> > >
> > > 1) Boot up, get the desktop background & blacked out bottom bar, right
> > > click where KStart button is, select "classic menu style", (now get
> > > grey garbage instead of black bottom bar), left click where KStart
> > > button should be, classic menu displays, select "settings > system
> > > settings", it comes up with garbage top bar, right click that, select
> > > "config window behavior", enable check box for "desktop effects",
> > > select OK, BUG: Get all black display with white pointer arrow &
> > > touchpad no longer works - can't move pointer or do anything -
> > > completely locked up, have to power off power on.
> > >
> > > 2) alt-shift-f12 does nothing. The only key combo with f12 that does
> > > anything is ctrl-alt-f12, which gives me a completely garbage screen,
> > > same as dong ctrl-alt-f1. Then ctl-alt-f7 brings me back to the
> > > KDE-graphics-desktop display.
> > >
> > > Clay or anyone - further suggestions??
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > As I mentioned, you have to somehow open a window with a (garbled, I
> > know) titlebar - try to right-click on your desktop and select 'desktop
> > settings' or similar, then right-click on the titlebar and select 'Window
> > Behavior' to bring up the plasma/desktop effects config and enable them
> > from there.
> >
> > Then see my comment in the report for the xorg.cong file you need to
> > create to fix it better and permanently.
> >
> > EXA is the default acceleration method these days, but on lower-memory
> > gpu's don't handle that so well,and performance can be poor (slow) using
> > it. Using the settings I found makes it work so much better. I do not
> > recommend playing with Desktop Activities, however, as this will
> > seriously bog the 'ole laptop down
>
> Thanks again Clay
>
> But, Ive done what you suggested to (that's what I said above). I retried
> with _exactly_ the method you described right above, same bad result:
> black screen, white pointer, totally locked up (this is when boot from
> live KU 910 cd).
>
> It's curious how we have the exact same laptop, & different behaior. Not
> to say you've forgotten [ ], but have you done that _exact_ procedure
> (which you just described) with a KU 910 live cd, on that laptop,
> recently? Perhaps something is working differently now.
>
> Any further suggestions you have will be appreciated.

I dunno

Those are the exact steps I took with the Karmic live disk (minus trying the
alt-shift-f12), and have taken
since it's alpha stages. I even booted to that disk to make sure I was
correct, though I usually just go straight to the installation from the boot
menu or the install icon on the desktop - but as I already know about the
graphics corruption, and how to fix it, I don't play with the live desktop
session at all as the 'anomalies' do not effect the install process.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Ladislav Bodnar

On Tuesday 19 January 2010, giovanni_re wrote:
> Where is there a list of rescue CDs? Didn't distrowatch used to have a
> page listing them? I don't see it. http://distrowatch.com/

On the search page:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Rescue