Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Bruce Bales

Default Trouble installing 7.10

On Monday 19 November 2007 17:28, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Karl said the following at 11/19/2007 02:53 PM :
> > Bruce Bales wrote:
> >> The complete series of results is
> >>
> >> First, the Kubuntu logo and a list of "Install, Run, Check CD,
> >> etc." I pick one and get a message that shows for one second
> >> that contains " ... acpi fails ...."
> >
> > Try booting the cd with the kernel option 'noacpi'.
> > See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
>
> I didn't realise that you could get to the boot options from the
> Live CD. That was part of my rationale for suggesting the
> alternative CD, because I thought I had read somewhere (maybe for
> an older version of Ubuntu) that if one wanted to change the boot
> options, one had to use the alternative CD. Or maybe I'm just
> hallucinating.
>
> Anyway, given that you can do this, I agree (loudly) that this is
> the thing to try.
>
> Doc

After many tries, I got a little more from the line that too briefly
displays info about acpi. It starts with some hex crap and "bios age
(1997) fails cutoff" and ends with "...ACPI=force is required to
enable ACPI"

I tried adding noacpi to options -- same result.
Tried 'acpi=force' -- same result.
Tried "acpi-no" -- same result.

One choice for the install is OEM install. Tried it -- same result.
Another choice is boot from first hard disk. That worked and brought
up dapper.
bruce