-   -   kmail thread (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/31092-kmail-thread.html)

Chuck Adams 01-07-2008 03:38 PM

kmail thread

Thanks to the individuals that have been running the
Kmail thread. I was wondering why certain things were
happening aperiodically and now I know.

In Settings->ConfigureKmail down at the bottom of
the pull-down menu is Misc. And somewhere there
is a default of "delete trash" upon program exit.
I would never ever set that and certainly wish it
was not the default. I lost some stuff that I
wanted to retrieve, even though I did a delete
the messages. I assumed that they would
remain there until I personally came along and
deleted them from the trash.

It is the equivalent of carrying out the trash once
a week thing at home. Don't come and pick up
the trash until I say it is OK and I put it on the
front curb.... :-)

FYI

Chuck

--
Chuck Adams, K7QO
k7qo@commspeed.net

Moving to Arizona? Bring your own water, please.

Derek Broughton 01-07-2008 04:27 PM

kmail thread

Chuck Adams wrote:

> In Settings->ConfigureKmail down at the bottom of
> the pull-down menu is Misc. And somewhere there
> is a default of "delete trash" upon program exit.
> I would never ever set that and certainly wish it
> was not the default. I lost some stuff that I
> wanted to retrieve, even though I did a delete
> the messages. I assumed that they would
> remain there until I personally came along and
> deleted them from the trash.
>
> It is the equivalent of carrying out the trash once
> a week thing at home. Don't come and pick up
> the trash until I say it is OK and I put it on the
> front curb.... :-)

In KMail's defence, I'd say (a) I believe it's default IMAP behaviour, so
not unreasonable for their local folders; and (b) how did the stuff get in
the trash in the first place? - You _did_ put the trash on the curb - it's
not unreasonable for the garbage collector to pick it up!
--
derek

Sylviane et Perry White 01-08-2008 04:41 AM

kmail thread

On Monday 07 January 2008 18:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > a week thing at home. *Don't come and pick up
> > the trash until I say it is OK and I put it on the
> > front curb.... :-):-)
>
> In KMail's defence, I'd say (a) I believe it's default IMAP behaviour, so
> not unreasonable for their local folders; and (b) how did the stuff get in
> the trash in the first place? - You _did_ put the trash on the curb - it's
> not unreasonable for the garbage collector to pick it up!

OTHO desktop trashcan wait for you to empty them. This difference in behaviour
might desserve a warning.
Occasionnaly I have used the trashcan to store files because it is an already
made folder, that is usually empty (mine at least) and easy to find.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #268: Neutrino overload on the nameserver

Chuck Adams 01-08-2008 04:55 AM

kmail thread

On Monday 07 January 2008 22:41:53 Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 18:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > a week thing at home. *Don't come and pick up
> > > the trash until I say it is OK and I put it on the
> > > front curb.... :-):-)
> >
> > In KMail's defence, I'd say (a) I believe it's default IMAP behaviour, so
> > not unreasonable for their local folders; and (b) how did the stuff get
> > in the trash in the first place? - You _did_ put the trash on the curb -
> > it's not unreasonable for the garbage collector to pick it up!
>
> OTHO desktop trashcan wait for you to empty them. This difference in
> behaviour might desserve a warning.
> Occasionnaly I have used the trashcan to store files because it is an
> already made folder, that is usually empty (mine at least) and easy to
> find.
>
> Perry
>
> --
> BOFH excuse #268: Neutrino overload on the nameserver

When I delete a mail item, it goes into the Kmail trash folder.
That is (IMHO) like putting papers from the desk to the trash
receptacle next to the desk. Or in the trash bin.

The trash man doesn't come into the house and empty my
trash. To me, that is what Kmail is doing. I thought that
it would not be deleted from the file system until I deleted
from the trash folder in Kmail. That is what I'm saying.

Evolution does not delete until I delete the item from the
trash folder.

If two programs like evolution and kmail differ in behaviour
then I think that the first time the program is run a message
or information should be noted to the user.

Thought for the masses and program developers. Authors
of books would be the first to write the behaviour in the
program chapter.

I think I might go back to UNIX mail or pine...... :-)

FYI