Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM
David Fletcher

Default Photo printing from Gimp

Using Hardy with an Epson Stylus Photo 950.

Anybody else have this problem? When I print a photograph from the Gimp,
chances are that the first attempt will screw up the print by starting part
way along the paper. When it did it just now, it started just over a third of
the way along, but stopped within the small border I set and spat out the
print. When I went in to repeat the print, it thought it was still printing
the previous one, with the percentage completed counting up until finished.

The next attempt at the same picture on the same paper worked properly.

I don't print many photos, but this has been happening for quite a while and
is infuriating. Just wondering if anybody else suffers from it.

Dave

Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 17:20 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> Using Hardy with an Epson Stylus Photo 950.
>
> Anybody else have this problem? When I print a photograph from the Gimp,
> chances are that the first attempt will screw up the print by starting part
> way along the paper. When it did it just now, it started just over a third of
> the way along, but stopped within the small border I set and spat out the
> print. When I went in to repeat the print, it thought it was still printing
> the previous one, with the percentage completed counting up until finished.
>
> The next attempt at the same picture on the same paper worked properly.
>
> I don't print many photos, but this has been happening for quite a while and
> is infuriating. Just wondering if anybody else suffers from it.
>
> Dave

I gave up a long time ago and just used Ocular or something like it, to
print the saved file with. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 AM
"Charles T. Bell"

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 17:20 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
>
>> Using Hardy with an Epson Stylus Photo 950.
>>
>> Anybody else have this problem? When I print a photograph from the Gimp,
>> chances are that the first attempt will screw up the print by starting part
>> way along the paper. When it did it just now, it started just over a third of
>> the way along, but stopped within the small border I set and spat out the
>> print. When I went in to repeat the print, it thought it was still printing
>> the previous one, with the percentage completed counting up until finished.
>>
>> The next attempt at the same picture on the same paper worked properly.
>>
>> I don't print many photos, but this has been happening for quite a while and
>> is infuriating. Just wondering if anybody else suffers from it.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I gave up a long time ago and just used Ocular or something like it, to
> print the saved file with. Ric

I have the same problem. It will continue at random intervals.
I doubt anyone cares to address the situation and get it fixed.
Mine also take about 55 minutes to print, while in Windoze it took
about 5 minutes. The price of progress!!!

Tom

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")

Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 17 Jan 2010, Charles T. Bell wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > I gave up a long time ago and just used Ocular or something like it, to
> > print the saved file with. Ric
> >

> I have the same problem. It will continue at random intervals.
> I doubt anyone cares to address the situation and get it fixed.
> Mine also take about 55 minutes to print, while in Windoze it took
> about 5 minutes. The price of progress!!!

So, I'm not the only one. I'm sure it used to work beautifully, every time, a
couple of years ago on an older distribution. The user interface was a lot
easier to use, too.

Now the next question is, "Does it work in Karmic?". I'm not intending to use
Karmic at all, just go directly to Lucid, but perhaps if it's been made to
work again there's a chance that it might continue to work this time.
Hopefully.

Dave

Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Sunday 17 Jan 2010 12:02:17 David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 17 Jan 2010, Charles T. Bell wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > I gave up a long time ago and just used Ocular or something like it, to
> > > print the saved file with. Ric
> > >

> > I have the same problem. It will continue at random intervals.
> > I doubt anyone cares to address the situation and get it fixed.
> > Mine also take about 55 minutes to print, while in Windoze it took
> > about 5 minutes. The price of progress!!!
> >

> So, I'm not the only one. I'm sure it used to work beautifully, every time, a
> couple of years ago on an older distribution. The user interface was a lot
> easier to use, too.
>
> Now the next question is, "Does it work in Karmic?". I'm not intending to use
> Karmic at all, just go directly to Lucid, but perhaps if it's been made to
> work again there's a chance that it might continue to work this time.
> Hopefully.
>
> Dave

I've always used 'Print with Gutenprint' from Gimp (instead of just 'Print') and it has always worked perfectly. A little slow but very high quality indeed.

However these days, for printing photos, I use photoprint.

Mark

Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Neil Winchurst

Mark Greenwood wrote:

> I've always used 'Print with Gutenprint' from Gimp (instead of just 'Print') and it has always worked perfectly. A little slow but very high quality indeed.
>
> However these days, for printing photos, I use photoprint.
>
> Mark

Same here. I am running kubuntu Hardy and Gimp v 2.4.6. When I want to
print I choose Print and not Print with Gutenprint. It works just fine.

Neil

Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 17 Jan 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >>
> > I've always used 'Print with Gutenprint' from Gimp (instead of
just 'Print') and it has always worked perfectly. A little slow but very high
quality indeed.

> > However these days, for printing photos, I use photoprint.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Same here. I am running kubuntu Hardy and Gimp v 2.4.6. When I want to
> print I choose Print and not Print with Gutenprint. It works just fine.
>
> Neil

Sounds like your experience is actually the opposite of Mark's.

I've now installed gimp-gutenprint. Will try it later. I was unaware of
photoprint. Will also take a look for that later.

Dave

Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 17 Jan 2010, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I've always used 'Print with Gutenprint' from Gimp (instead of just 'Print')
and it has always worked perfectly. A little slow but very high quality
indeed.

> However these days, for printing photos, I use photoprint.
>
> Mark

Thanks for that, Mark. I had to install gimp-gutenprint and it works for me.
I've only done a couple of prints but it's made a good job of both of them
first time.

When I print, I first use Gimp to scale at 300dpi then crop to exactly fit the
paper I'm using. Then I just click the "Use original image size" button in
gutenprint and it fits.

Dave