Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Jimmy Stewpot

Default Current AMD/ATI binary driver status in (K)ubuntu

Hello All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a message of this nature. I am currently looking at a variety of different hardware platforms to install kubuntu on as my new system. One of the platforms that I particularly like has an AMD/ATI graphics chipset. When I last used the ATI binary drivers they left something to be desired. So my question is what is the current status of the binary driver. I am hoping that they are much easier to manage now. Can anyone point out what features work and don't work. For example can I use the HDMI interface, DVI and standard vga all at once. I looked at the ATI/AMD FAQ and it seemed to be very dated.

If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 09:39 +0000, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a message of this nature. I
> am currently looking at a variety of different hardware platforms to
> install kubuntu on as my new system. One of the platforms that I
> particularly like has an AMD/ATI graphics chipset. When I last used
> the ATI binary drivers they left something to be desired. So my
> question is what is the current status of the binary driver. I am
> hoping that they are much easier to manage now. Can anyone point out
> what features work and don't work. For example can I use the HDMI
> interface, DVI and standard vga all at once. I looked at the ATI/AMD
> FAQ and it seemed to be very dated.

I'd stick with nVidia for graphics. I've always ordered my MoBo to be
without built-in graphics and just ram a good nvidia card with it's own
memory in there. Go for plenty of vram. My two cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Ralph Puncher

On January 15, 2010 04:39:58 Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a message of this nature. I am
> currently looking at a variety of different hardware platforms to install
> kubuntu on as my new system. One of the platforms that I particularly like
> has an AMD/ATI graphics chipset. When I last used the ATI binary drivers
> they left something to be desired. So my question is what is the current
> status of the binary driver. I am hoping that they are much easier to
> manage now. Can anyone point out what features work and don't work. For
> example can I use the HDMI interface, DVI and standard vga all at once. I
> looked at the ATI/AMD FAQ and it seemed to be very dated.
>
> If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jimmy.

I have an HD3450 ATI card and use DVI input. I just used the Karmic Hardware
Drivers to enable (install) the requisite driver and left the xorg.conf alone
(it is just about ignored now as the driver determines most if not all video
card capabilities).