Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
lanzen

Default Kontact Enterprise or "normal"

On Monday 07 January 2008 15:20:11 O. Sinclair wrote:

> I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
> Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
> how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
> behaving very odd.

I got it. Right click on the folder, the one before last option.

One thing I can't find is the beautiful import option that kmail had. Where
has it gone?

--
lanzen

Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Donn

> How can I go back to "non Enterprise" version?
I didn't even know there was such a thing... How would one install it vs the
standard kmail stuff?

I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
"O. Sinclair"

lanzen wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 15:20:11 O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
>> Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
>> how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
>> behaving very odd.
>
> I got it. Right click on the folder, the one before last option.
thanks! If I could now just figure out how to rearrange the panes in
Contact I might feel at home again...

Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday 07 January 2008 9:34:42 am lanzen wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 15:20:11 O. Sinclair wrote:
> > I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
> > Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
> > how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
> > behaving very odd.
>
> I got it. Right click on the folder, the one before last option.
>
> One thing I can't find is the beautiful import option that kmail had. Where
> has it gone?
>
> --
>lanzen

Kmail's email import applet is in a separate package called kmailcvt, so you
may need to check if it is installed (can't remember if it is by default or
not)

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday 07 January 2008 9:20:11 am O. Sinclair wrote:
> I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
> Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
> how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
> behaving very odd.
>
> How can I go back to "non Enterprise" version?
>
> Sinclair

You would have to build from source

The enterprise branch of Kontact, which it seems Suse and possibly mandriva
ship as well, have more bug fixes in them, as in the huge imap bugs there
used to be.

As for folder expiry, my kmail (Gutsy) has the Expire option if I right-click
on a folder, click 'expire', and edit the settings from there.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Derek Broughton

lanzen wrote:

> On Monday 07 January 2008 15:20:11 O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
>> Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
>> how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
>> behaving very odd.
>
> I got it. Right click on the folder, the one before last option.

?? There is no "Enterprise" version, only some different views.

> One thing I can't find is the beautiful import option that kmail had.
> Where has it gone?

That was never part of kmail. The package is called kmailcvt.
--
derek

Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 PM
lanzen

On Monday 07 January 2008 16:38:48 Derek Broughton wrote:

> That was never part of kmail. *The package is called kmailcvt.

Thanks Derek and Clay!

I felt pretty sure I had it installed _with_ kontact in fiesty, but I might be
wrong. Actually I feel that keeping it separate is a more reasonable way of
going about it: one just installs it whenever needed and takes it off once
done as it's not a daily necessity, really.

But I'm sure I was using KMail 1.9.7 - no enterprise - after an upgrade while
in fiesty. Oh well, beam me up, Scottie!

--
lanzen

Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
lanzen

Quoting myself:

> Actually I feel that keeping it separate is a more reasonable way of
> going about it

Well, heck, I don't believe me eyes! Now, this is a clean Kubuntu install - I
just wanted a clean, fresh gutsy - and I went to adept just to see what the
kmailcvt package looked like, not that i wanted to get it, but just in case I
needed it some time or another, so there it was... kmailcvt... what!!!
installed! I never! It has always been there!

So, I guess, if you have kmail or kontact you should have it too. Please, try
to run kmailcvt in a terminal and let me know.

Now, again, on afterthought, I'm pretty sure It was listed in a kmail's menu
in a previous version.

--
lanzen

Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Derek Broughton wrote:
> lanzen wrote:
>
>> On Monday 07 January 2008 15:20:11 O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> I am not really enjoying the switchover to the "Enterprise"
>>> Kontact/Kmail that came with Gutsy 7.10. I can not find the option to
>>> how long folders should keep messages and the Contacts editing page is
>>> behaving very odd.
>> I got it. Right click on the folder, the one before last option.
>
> ?? There is no "Enterprise" version, only some different views.
Quote from www.kubuntu.org release notes on v 7.10
"Kontact, the Personal Information Manager in Kubuntu 7.10, unites an
entire suite of PIM applications in one central environment. We now
include the Enterprise version of Kontact, for advanced functionality."

According to kde-pim-users mailing list this will be supported longer
than "normal" version after release of KDE4 since it is maintained by a
company in Sweden who uses it for commercial clients/purposes

Sinclair

Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Derek Broughton

lanzen wrote:

> On Monday 07 January 2008 16:38:48 Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> That was never part of kmail. *The package is called kmailcvt.
>
> Thanks Derek and Clay!
>
> I felt pretty sure I had it installed _with_ kontact in fiesty, but I
> might be wrong.

No, I'm pretty sure you're right (at least that it was installed as a
dependency of kubuntu-desktop, once).

> Actually I feel that keeping it separate is a more
> reasonable way of going about it: one just installs it whenever needed and
> takes it off once done as it's not a daily necessity, really.
>
> But I'm sure I was using KMail 1.9.7 - no enterprise - after an upgrade
> while in fiesty. Oh well, beam me up, Scottie!

There has been some work to give KMail the option of an Outlook-like
interface (ugh!), but afaik anything that could be called "Enterprise" is
just options.
--
derek