-   -   broken files and apt get locked (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/30321-broken-files-apt-get-locked.html)

"uriah heep" 01-06-2008 05:40 PM

broken files and apt get locked

using a fresh instal of Gutsy (7.10)

When attempting to download VLC through apt get I got a notice of 4
broken files. I attempted to uninstall and to reinstall with no luck.

I then started getting error this might break and no additional
programs would be installed

at one time started from command line to load java and the picture for
java came up but there was no place to say ok I accept and the process
hung there

1. How can I unlock apt get?
2. How can I delete broken files witch seem to be preventing my
installing anything else?

Joe Burgess 01-06-2008 10:18 PM

broken files and apt get locked

As for the locked apt-get, are you running it as root (as in with sudo)
or do you have the add/remove programs window open or the update manager
open? I know these are simple things, but sometimes people forget.

-Joe

David McGlone 01-07-2008 01:39 AM

On Sunday 06 January 2008 6:18:30 pm Joe Burgess wrote:
> As for the locked apt-get, are you running it as root (as in with sudo)
> or do you have the add/remove programs window open or the update manager
> open? I know these are simple things, but sometimes people forget.

A good certified technician always starts with the most simple of things.

--
David M.

"uriah heep" 01-07-2008 03:54 AM

broken files and apt get locked

I was using the KDE apt get program but to the best of my knowledge
shut it down. Obviously something is not closed as I keep getting
message that another program is using apt get. What I do not know. I
just want to be able to close what ever it is. And then replace the
broken files.

If someone will tell me specificly what to enter I am fine doing it at
command line as I need to learn how to use it more.

Thanks
Uriah

Wulfy 01-07-2008 05:01 AM

uriah heep wrote:
> using a fresh instal of Gutsy (7.10)
>
> When attempting to download VLC through apt get I got a notice of 4
> broken files. I attempted to uninstall and to reinstall with no luck.
>
> I then started getting error this might break and no additional
> programs would be installed
>
> at one time started from command line to load java and the picture for
> java came up but there was no place to say ok I accept and the process
> hung there
>
> 1. How can I unlock apt get?
> 2. How can I delete broken files witch seem to be preventing my
> installing anything else?

Try:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

which should give you, at least, an error message that you can copy and
paste here... Hopefully it will bring up the Java license in a form
that you can complete it properly. If that happens, the block will
clear and you'll be able to install VLC.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

"Andrew Jarrett" 01-07-2008 05:02 AM

On Jan 6, 2008 11:54 PM, uriah heep <stan10x10@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was using the KDE apt get program but to the best of my knowledge
> shut it down. Obviously something is not closed as I keep getting
> message that another program is using apt get. What I do not know. I
> just want to be able to close what ever it is. And then replace the
> broken files.
>
> If someone will tell me specificly what to enter I am fine doing it at
> command line as I need to learn how to use it more.
>
> Thanks
> Uriah

Maybe try:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

This should unstick the database.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Karl 01-07-2008 05:11 AM

uriah heep wrote:
> I was using the KDE apt get program but to the best of my knowledge
> shut it down. Obviously something is not closed as I keep getting
> message that another program is using apt get. What I do not know. I
> just want to be able to close what ever it is. And then replace the
> broken files.

This command will list the processes using the package system lock file
and ask if you want to kill them:

sudo fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Karl

Donn 01-07-2008 05:59 AM

broken files and apt get locked

What does VLC (vlc video player, right?) have to do with Java?

Wulfy 01-07-2008 06:00 AM

Donn wrote:
> What does VLC (vlc video player, right?) have to do with Java?

Nothing directly, I think. But the OP was trying to install Java and it
failed thus blocking any other installs...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

"uriah heep" 01-08-2008 12:32 AM

broken files and apt get locked

the below was what I got when I invoked the suggested commands in konsole

sudo dpkg ´┐Żconfigure -a

gives below result

[sudo] password for uriah:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent
configuration of sunwderby:

sunwderby depends on sun-java5-jre;
however:

Package sun-java5-jre is not
installed.

dpkg: error processing sunwderby
(--configure):

dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured

dpkg: dependency problems prevent
configuration of imq:

imq depends on sun-java5-jre; however:

Package sun-java5-jre is not
installed.

dpkg: error processing imq
(--configure):

dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured

dpkg: dependency problems prevent
configuration of glassfish-bin:

glassfish-bin depends on sunwderby (>=
1.0-1); however:

Package sunwderby is not configured
yet.

glassfish-bin depends on imq (>=
1.0-1); however:

Package imq is not configured yet.

glassfish-bin depends on
sun-java5-jre; however:

Package sun-java5-jre is not
installed.

dpkg: error processing glassfish-bin
(--configure):

dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured

Errors were encountered while
processing:

sunwderby

imq

glassfish-bin

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$ sudo fuser
-vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock

[sudo] password for uriah:

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$ sudo
apt-get -f

apt 0.7.6ubuntu14 for i386 compiled on
Oct 15 2007 20:39:10

Usage: apt-get [options] command

apt-get [options] install|remove
pkg1 [pkg2 ...]

apt-get [options] source pkg1
[pkg2 ...]

apt-get is a simple command line
interface for downloading and

installing packages. The most
frequently used commands are update

and install.

Commands:

update - Retrieve new lists of
packages

upgrade - Perform an upgrade

install - Install new packages (pkg
is libc6 not libc6.deb)

remove - Remove packages

purge - Remove and purge packages

source - Download source archives

build-dep - Configure
build-dependencies for source packages

dist-upgrade - Distribution upgrade,
see apt-get(8)

dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect
selections

clean - Erase downloaded archive
files

autoclean - Erase old downloaded
archive files

check - Verify that there are no
broken dependencies

-h This help text.

-q Loggable output - no progress
indicator

-qq No output except for errors

-d Download only - do NOT install or
unpack archives

-s No-act. Perform ordering
simulation

-y Assume Yes to all queries and do
not prompt

-f Attempt to continue if the
integrity check fails

-m Attempt to continue if archives
are unlocatable

-u Show a list of upgraded packages
as well

-b Build the source package after
fetching it

-V Show verbose version numbers

-c=? Read this configuration file

-o=? Set an arbitrary configuration
option, eg -o dir::cache=/tmp

See the apt-get(8), sources.list(5) and
apt.conf(5) manual

pages for more information and options.

This APT has
Super Cow Powers.

uriah@The-Fourth-Horseman:~$

The error message I get when trying to load a program (abcde)

there was an error committing changes. possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the committ would break packages

The packages that are broken are

glassfish-bin┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬* suns open source java (TM) EE 5 application server

Anyone got any ideas or should I just wipe it and reinstall?

uriah