Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Donn

Default Video Problem WMV

On Sunday, 06 January 2008 13:48:02 Clark wrote:
> I get the feeling I'm digging myself a hole to fall into but it is
> interesting.
Lol I feel that way quite often.

I actually went on the whole 'play DVDs' kick back in the dark days before
Dapper and I never got a total solution. Since I don't own any DVDs and
rarely stumble across one worth watching, I have let that whole thing go. I
know I can watch individual .vob files in mplayer or VLCplayer - so I'm quite
happy to open a DVD and play the individual files one by one.

I never did get the funky DVD menu things working. They just get in the way.

VLC player is another one worth trying Clark, search for 'vlc'

I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi Clark,

Clark wrote:
> Thank goodness for the graphical ui is all I'll say thanks Troy and all
> But the sate of play is:
>
> Multiverse and universe are selected
> Canonical (Main) and Proprietary (restricted) are not selected ??.
>
> I then tried to install the following with Adept M, as advised by the
> Help page from the K icon on bottom panel / toolbar. As you will see
> the results are 50:50 success, needless to say still no go with Kafine
> or K3b.
>
> transcode BREAK (install) no go
> libexvidcore4 install OK
> sox BREAK (install) no go
> mjpegtools BREAK (install) no go
> toolame install OK
> libdvdread3 install OK
>
> There seems to be a lot of issues tied up with the Codecs etc.. so I'll
> keep on trying. I did try following
> through with the instructions to get DVD read capability but this is
> what happened:
>
> sudo: /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh: command not found
> cpm@cpm-desktop:~$
>
> I get the feeling I'm digging myself a hole to fall into but it is
> interesting.

Yes, the graphical route is probably the best way.
Avoid shell scripts - one can't tell from the outside
whether they play nicely with the package system or not -
*unless* you are willing to look inside to see whether
they do or not.
(On my system, I found and looked inside
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh
and it uses dpkg -i to install a .deb file, so I think
it does play nicely. But, in general, don't trust other
scripts, like Automatix, for example.)

I'm on Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty), and to get DVDs playing
it should be necessary to do this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphical method:

Go into Adept, and "Manage Repositories", click
"Third Party Software" tab and enable Medibuntu packages.
Click Close.

Press "Fetch Updates".

Now install the libdvdcss2, libdvdread3 and libxine1-ffmpeg
packages. Type each one into the search bar until it
shows up in the list, click on the package to open it,
click "Request install". Then click "Apply Changes".

After this, Kaffeine should be able to play DVDs.
If you install VLC, it should be able to as well.

Console method (nearly equivalent to Graphical method):

sudo apt-get install libdvdread3 libxine1-ffmpeg

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
(that's one line, by the way)

wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- |
sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
(that's also one line)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

All done.

Testing:

kaffeine dvd

mplayer dvd://

vlc dvd://

- - - - - - - - -

Wait a minute, for WMV, it's probably necessary to also
install package w32codecs, but I haven't tried it myself.

- - - - - - - -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#head-7486ed038a9becc1dff10a24cc07a38a00d70e9f
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Regards,

Anton.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Clark

Thanks Anton,

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 and as you suggested I have tracked the
Medibuntu repositories, I think this one should do but not entirely
sure where* and how much to paste into the repository source box but I
tried Medibuntu on its own in the source box first and now Adept
Manager is hung and when I tried a reload it returned:

E: Type 'Medibuntu' is not known on line 67 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list

E: The list of sources could not be read.

Looks like I may have to learn how to use kate to delete line 67 but
that will take time.* Any other suggestions appreciated.* The proper
repository add. follows but do I enter the line or from medibuntu or ???

Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon":

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Anton Rolls wrote:

Hi Clark,

Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Monday 07 January 2008 05:45, Clark wrote:

> E: Type 'Medibuntu' is not known on line 67 in source list
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
Are you sure it is no 'medibuntu' (uncapitalisez 'm')
> Looks like I may have to learn how to use kate to delete line 67 but
> that will take time.
Don't do that, but If you've ever used word or notepad or something similar
you'll figure it out in only a minute, kate is very intuitive.

You don't need to paste either now but there is a nice trick that works in
most of kde apps:
instead of the traditional cut/copy and paste (ctrl+x/ctrl+c and ctrl+v) you
can just highlight the text (click and drag mouse is one way),
then position the cursor and press the middle mouse button to paste.

cheers Perry

--
BOFH excuse #316: Elves on strike (Why do they call EMAG Elf Magic?)

Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
"John DeCarlo"

On Jan 6, 2008 11:45 PM, Clark <cpmcc@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

E: Type 'Medibuntu' is not known on line 67 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list

E: The list of sources could not be read.

Looks like I may have to learn how to use kate to delete line 67 but
that will take time.* Any other suggestions appreciated.* The proper
repository add. follows but do I enter the line or from medibuntu or ???

Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon":

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

If you run the command just above, it will put the right information into a separate file, which makes it easier to manage.

I don't know how you changed sources.list, but it looks like a comment line was uncommented.* I would try and undo what you did and see what happens.*

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi Clark,

John DeCarlo wrote:

> I don't know how you changed sources.list, but it looks like a comment
> line was uncommented. I would try and undo what you did and see what
> happens.

I agree with John, it looks like it is a missing comment problem.

Lines beginning with # are comments. Anything that reads like
plain English in these files should be commented.

If you show us the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list
(and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list , if it exists)
then we can tell you easily if there is a misplaced or missing
comment.

Regards,

Anton.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Clark

The plot thickens with Gutsy now refusing to open "add Remove Programs"
or let me enter "Adept Manager", the error message is:

"The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect
APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and
apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem."

result:

cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ sudo apt-setup

[sudo] password for cpm:

sudo: apt-setup: command not found

cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ sudo apt-setup adept manager

sudo: apt-setup: command not found

cpm@cpm-desktop:~$ sudo apt-setup adept

sudo: apt-setup: command not found

cpm@cpm-desktop:~$

Though I was beginning to get some idea about the processes but with
this I'm quite bewildered, It seems to me that the program that enables
repairs is off line.* Is it a complete reload?

Suggestions please?

Anton Rolls wrote:

Hi Clark,

Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Donn

> "The APT Database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect
> APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and
> apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem."

I can't find 'apt-setup' either. Sounds like a bad error message.

Sorry you are having such hassles Clark, you are the expection that proves the
rule I'm afraid

It sounds like the database is locked in some way. I can't recall the steps to
unlock it. You could try this:
1. Reboot your machine.
2. Open a konsole:
3. sudo apt-get update
4. Check for errors, if none:
5. sudo apt-get upgrade
6. Check for errors, if none:
7. Run the Adept GUI again.

Let us know.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Clark

Thanks for a response I can take some action on.* apt contains two
folders;

1. apt.conf.d, containing 9 files of total space 5.496 KB, 0 sub files

2. sources.list.d no items, total space 4KB

these are the only files / folders under the apt sub directory.

Empty sources list doesn't look very bright to me unless I can replace
them from my Kubunti cononical CD.

Hopefully,*** Clark.

Hi Clark,

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Donn

> Empty sources list doesn't look very bright to me unless I can replace
> them from my Kubunti cononical CD.
Yes, sounds like the directory has been erased. What ever have you been up
to? :P

Have a look on the CD, that's the best place to get it from. Copy sources.list
into /etc/apt/ and then do the update, upgrade tango again.

If you can't find sources.list, I can send you mine, but it's oriented towards
South African servers and will likely not help you. I know there is a website
that let's you build a new one, but you'd have to search.

Others may post theirs, what's your physical location in the world?