Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/29631-transfering-files-pclinuxos-kubuntu-computer.html)

Eric 01-05-2008 04:42 PM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
I have two computers and I'd like to be able to transfer files between
them. One is running PClinuxOs 2007 and the other is running Kubuntu 6.06.

Is there an easy way to network them together so that I can transfer
files between them? Most of the time I would want to transfer from the
PClinuxOs machine to the other.

Thanks for your help.

Eric Jackson

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nigel Ridley 01-06-2008 05:10 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
Eric wrote:
> I have two computers and I'd like to be able to transfer files between
> them. One is running PClinuxOs 2007 and the other is running Kubuntu 6.06.
>
> Is there an easy way to network them together so that I can transfer
> files between them? Most of the time I would want to transfer from the
> PClinuxOs machine to the other.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Eric Jackson
>
nfs works great for me.
You will need to install the server on the Kubuntu machine and the
client on the PClinuxOs machine.
You will of course need to read some documentation on how to set it all
up - man nfs

You could instead think about setting up a local ftp server on the
Kubuntu machine.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"D. Michael McIntyre" 01-06-2008 05:53 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
On Sunday 06 January 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:

> You will of course need to read some documentation on how to set it all
> up - man nfs
>
> You could instead think about setting up a local ftp server on the
> Kubuntu machine.

NFS is supposed to be great, but the few times I've played with it, I couldn't
figure out how to set it up quickly enough, and I got bored.

What I've always done is more secure and easier to use than FTP though. I run
the ssh server on any box I want to copy files to, and simply scp or rsync
files there.

This sounds like more of a command line dork kind of approach though, and I
bet most normal humans would want to get NFS working, so they could drag and
drop across the network.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Donn 01-06-2008 06:05 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
> Is there an easy way to network them together so that I can transfer
> files between them? Most of the time I would want to transfer from the
> PClinuxOs machine to the other.
NFS is fine, I used it once (literally) years ago. Even for a newb-sans-clewb
it was not too hard to setup.

You can also try ssh, ftp and http.


d

--
I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Graham 01-06-2008 06:33 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:42:35 -0500
Eric <ejazzkatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to network them together so that I can transfer
> files between them? Most of the time I would want to transfer from
> the PClinuxOs machine to the other.
[snipped]

I don't know as I've never tried this except on Ubuntu and Debian based
systems (and PCLinuxOS uses an .rpm packaging system), but if you are
talking about files rather than applications, try a firewire link.

You will need firewire ports in both computers (so this usually means
installing a firewire card in each) and a firewire cable to connect
them. It works well for me connecting a PowerMac to a Kubuntu Gutsy
machine, and Edubuntu to the same Kubuntu Gutsy machine.

By why mess about with a networking solution when usb memory sticks are
so inexpensive these days?

--

Graham Todd


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 01-06-2008 07:16 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> What I've always done is more secure and easier to use than FTP though.
> I run the ssh server on any box I want to copy files to, and simply
> scp or rsync files there.
>
> This sounds like more of a command line dork kind of approach though,
> and I bet most normal humans would want to get NFS working, so they
> could drag and drop across the network.

Drag and drop across the network can be done with ssh as well, if you use
konqueror (don't know about this newfangled thing called dolphin). Just
enter "fish://user@server" in the address bar for the remote side. You
will be asked for the password of the remote account once. Then you can
navigate to the desired directory on the remote server and drag and drop
files between local and remote machine as usual. However, it is slower
than NFS due to the ssh encryption.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Donn 01-06-2008 08:14 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
> By why mess about with a networking solution when usb memory sticks are
> so inexpensive these days?
It seems horribly primitive to resort to a sneaker-network...

d

http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nigel Ridley 01-06-2008 09:14 AM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
Graham wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:42:35 -0500
> Eric <ejazzkatt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way to network them together so that I can transfer
>> files between them? Most of the time I would want to transfer from
>> the PClinuxOs machine to the other.
> [snipped]
>
> I don't know as I've never tried this except on Ubuntu and Debian based
> systems (and PCLinuxOS uses an .rpm packaging system), but if you are
> talking about files rather than applications, try a firewire link.
>
> You will need firewire ports in both computers (so this usually means
> installing a firewire card in each) and a firewire cable to connect
> them. It works well for me connecting a PowerMac to a Kubuntu Gutsy
> machine, and Edubuntu to the same Kubuntu Gutsy machine.
>
> By why mess about with a networking solution when usb memory sticks are
> so inexpensive these days?

'cause you loose all your permissions - unless you format the thing to ext2.

Blessings,

Nigel


--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 01-06-2008 01:25 PM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> You will of course need to read some documentation on how to set it all
>> up - man nfs
>>
>> You could instead think about setting up a local ftp server on the
>> Kubuntu machine.
>
> NFS is supposed to be great, but the few times I've played with it, I
> couldn't figure out how to set it up quickly enough, and I got bored.
>
> What I've always done is more secure and easier to use than FTP though. I
> run the ssh server on any box I want to copy files to, and simply scp or
> rsync files there.

Yeah, I hear you. In the end, it always seems easier to just use sftp://...
or fish:// (kio slaves rock!).

> This sounds like more of a command line dork kind of approach though, and
> I bet most normal humans would want to get NFS working, so they could drag
> and drop across the network.

Did I just say kio slaves rock? Drag and drop, too... With fish: you don't
even need the FTP server.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Billie Walsh 01-06-2008 02:14 PM

transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer
 
I just used Dolphin to test the transfer between my XP machine and the
Kubuntu machine using Samba. It worked like a charm. I didn't have the
secondary machine booted into Linux so didn't try a transfer that way
but would expect it to work. YMMV

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.