Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
David McGlone

Default transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer

On Sunday 06 January 2008 12:05:34 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
> > ssh. Anybody got links to good easy to follow tutorials on any of these?
>
> I don't see anything that isn't way more involved than you need to get the
> most basic kind of setup going.
>
> Both machines should have the ssh client applications available, but you
> won't have a server running unless you start it yourself. You need to
> install the "openssh-server" package on the destination computer.
>
> So let me run through it here at home.
>
> Step 1: I turn on my wife's Dapper box and see if she is running sshd
>
> $ pgrep sshd
>
> She is, but if she weren't, I'd just run
>
> $ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
>
> and leave all of its defaults in place.
>
> Step 2: Now that she's running a server, I need her IP address, or an
> entry for her computer in my /etc/hosts
>
> $ cat /etc/hosts
>
> # blah blah blah (privacy stuff deleted)
>
> # Wife's computer
> 192.168.0.101 swmbo
>
> So now let's try Derek's trick and see what happens. I have a picture from
> my camera in ~/Pictures that I want to copy to her desktop.
>
> Step 3: So I open ~/Pictures in Konqueror and find the file IMG_1234.JPG
>
> [imagine picture]
>
> Step 4: Open a new window, and type fish://wife@swmbo
>
> Lo, I get a password box thingie, enter her top secret magic password
> ("myHusbandIsAMegaAwesomeLinuxH4x0r" but don't tell anybody her secret!!)
> and now I'm in.
>
> [imagine picture]
>
> So now I can just drag IMG_1234.JPG from me to her, et voil, it shows up
> on her box as /home/wife/where/I/put/the/file/IMG_1234.JPG.
>
> It's pretty much that simple if you don't want to set up ssh keys for
> passwordless copying, and with this fish:// protocol thing, it might not be
> worth the bother. Especially with the [x] Remember password box. (Or you
> could use scp from the command line like a real man, but I assume most
> people in the world today aren't raging dweebs like me, so I won't get into
> that.) --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Why not just use samba and file sharing.

--
David M.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
> Wow, that was very easy to set up on both machines. It couldn't have
> been much easier! Thank you very much.

Sure, you're welcome.

> There is an option to have the server start when the computer is booting
> up. Is that good to do? Do you think it would be better to just start
> the server when I need to transfer files?

I'm going to let someone else weigh in on that one, because I don't talk
security in public.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Derek Broughton

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Yeah, I hear you. In the end, it always seems easier to just use
>> sftp://... or fish:// (kio slaves rock!).
>
>> Did I just say kio slaves rock? Drag and drop, too...
>
> I'll remember this for next time I'm dishing out suggestions. In
> practice, I still do almost all of my file management straight from the
> command line. Graphical file management has just never caught on with me
> for some reason.

Well, it's not a criticism of your advice, in any way, because I generally
stick to command line solutions for advice, anyway. It's much easier to be
explicit in email with command line examples.
--
derek

Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
"Donatas G."

On Monday 07 January 2008 05:07:09 D. Michael McIntyre rašė:
> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
> > Wow, that was very easy to set up on both machines. It couldn't have
> > been much easier! Thank you very much.
>
> Sure, you're welcome.
>
> > There is an option to have the server start when the computer is booting
> > up. Is that good to do? Do you think it would be better to just start
> > the server when I need to transfer files?

It depends. If you do use firewall and can manage to make the ssh port open
only to the local network (perhaps the right way to say it would be
192.168.1.0/24 range), or maybe you are always behind a router (so your
computer is inaccessible from outside the local network), then why bother
stopping sshd after the transfer is complete?

And if you do not use firewall, and do sometimes get an external ip address,
then you might be safer to stop any service you do not use while in the open
internet.

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info