Old 01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Eric

Default transfering files from PClinuxos to Kubuntu computer

Thanks for all the suggestions.

People have suggested ssh, ftp, nfs and using a USB stick for
sneakerware. I'll have do some more reading for all of those except the
USB stick. I've tried NFS before and I couldn't get it to work and I
tried ftp this morning and I couldn't get that to work. I haven't tried
ssh. Anybody got links to good easy to follow tutorials on any of these?

I also thought about using DCC through IRC. Any thoughts?

Eric Jackson

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Yeah, I hear you. In the end, it always seems easier to just use
> sftp://... or fish:// (kio slaves rock!).

> Did I just say kio slaves rock? Drag and drop, too...

I'll remember this for next time I'm dishing out suggestions. In practice, I
still do almost all of my file management straight from the command line.
Graphical file management has just never caught on with me for some reason.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
> ssh. Anybody got links to good easy to follow tutorials on any of these?

I don't see anything that isn't way more involved than you need to get the
most basic kind of setup going.

Both machines should have the ssh client applications available, but you won't
have a server running unless you start it yourself. You need to install
the "openssh-server" package on the destination computer.

So let me run through it here at home.

Step 1: I turn on my wife's Dapper box and see if she is running sshd

$ pgrep sshd

She is, but if she weren't, I'd just run

$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server

and leave all of its defaults in place.

Step 2: Now that she's running a server, I need her IP address, or an entry
for her computer in my /etc/hosts

$ cat /etc/hosts

# blah blah blah (privacy stuff deleted)

# Wife's computer
192.168.0.101 swmbo

So now let's try Derek's trick and see what happens. I have a picture from my
camera in ~/Pictures that I want to copy to her desktop.

Step 3: So I open ~/Pictures in Konqueror and find the file IMG_1234.JPG

[imagine picture]

Step 4: Open a new window, and type fish://wife@swmbo

Lo, I get a password box thingie, enter her top secret magic password
("myHusbandIsAMegaAwesomeLinuxH4x0r" but don't tell anybody her secret!!) and
now I'm in.

[imagine picture]

So now I can just drag IMG_1234.JPG from me to her, et voilą, it shows up on
her box as /home/wife/where/I/put/the/file/IMG_1234.JPG.

It's pretty much that simple if you don't want to set up ssh keys for
passwordless copying, and with this fish:// protocol thing, it might not be
worth the bother. Especially with the [x] Remember password box. (Or you
could use scp from the command line like a real man, but I assume most people
in the world today aren't raging dweebs like me, so I won't get into that.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Donn

Comedy and education in one post! Gotta love it.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Eric

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> # Wife's computer
> 192.168.0.101 swmbo

Thanks for the information. That sounds easy enough.

A couple questions.

What does swmbo mean or what does it do?

If the server is installed, do I need to start it or is it running
already if it's installed.

Eric Jackson

Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Stew Schneider

Eric wrote:
> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>

>> # Wife's computer
>> 192.168.0.101 swmbo
>>

> Thanks for the information. That sounds easy enough.
>
> A couple questions.
>
> What does swmbo mean or what does it do?

swmbo = She Who Must Be Obeyed. MY question is what is this dude doing
with MY wife???

stew

Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Eric

Graham wrote:

> I don't know as I've never tried this except on Ubuntu and Debian based
> systems (and PCLinuxOS uses an .rpm packaging system), but if you are
> talking about files rather than applications, try a firewire link.
>
> You will need firewire ports in both computers (so this usually means
> installing a firewire card in each) and a firewire cable to connect
> them. It works well for me connecting a PowerMac to a Kubuntu Gutsy
> machine, and Edubuntu to the same Kubuntu Gutsy machine.

What software did you use with the Firewire cable? I've never used
Firewire at all. Both the computers came with Firewire ports.

Eric Jackson

Old 01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stew Schneider wrote:

> > What does swmbo mean or what does it do?
>
> swmbo = She Who Must Be Obeyed. MY question is what is this dude doing
> with MY wife???

LMAO!

For the other guy's benefit, it's her computer's hostname.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stew Schneider wrote:
>Eric wrote:
>> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>>> # Wife's computer
>>> 192.168.0.101 swmbo
>>
>> Thanks for the information. That sounds easy enough.
>>
>> A couple questions.
>>
>> What does swmbo mean or what does it do?
>
>swmbo = She Who Must Be Obeyed. MY question is what is this dude doing
>with MY wife???
>
>stew

Damn he gets around, mine too, Stew.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Eric

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Eric wrote:
>> ssh. Anybody got links to good easy to follow tutorials on any of these?
>
> I don't see anything that isn't way more involved than you need to get the
> most basic kind of setup going.
>
> Both machines should have the ssh client applications available, but you won't
> have a server running unless you start it yourself. You need to install
> the "openssh-server" package on the destination computer.

Wow, that was very easy to set up on both machines. It couldn't have
been much easier! Thank you very much.

There is an option to have the server start when the computer is booting
up. Is that good to do? Do you think it would be better to just start
the server when I need to transfer files?

Eric Jackson