Old 01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Ulrich Grn

Default speech to text program

Hi all,

does anybody have heard about a program that lets you convert spoken text into
ascii? It would be nice if I could dictate the text to the computer, and
have it written down in text.
--
Greetz,
Ulrich.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Donn

> does anybody have heard about a program that lets you convert spoken text
> into ascii?
I think there's one called "fingers 1.0" - most people come with ten
pre-installed

Sorry, no idea.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Ulrich Grn

Also schrieben Sie am Samstag, 5. Januar 2008 18:03:38:
> > does anybody have heard about a program that lets you convert spoken text
> > into ascii?
>
> I think there's one called "fingers 1.0" - most people come with ten
> pre-installed
>
> Sorry, no idea.

Ten? that's more than the three I have. And I wouldn't call them
pre-installed. The installation procedure lasted for more than twenty years
now, and it isn't that fast though.

--
Greetzt,
Ulrich.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Paul S

Ulrich Grn said the following on 01/05/2008 11:51 AM:
> Hi all,
>
> does anybody have heard about a program that lets you convert spoken text into
> ascii? It would be nice if I could dictate the text to the computer, and
> have it written down in text.

paul :~$ apt-cache search speech recognition
libgsm1 - Shared libraries for GSM speech compressor
libgsm1-dev - Development libraries for a GSM speech compressor
libgsm-tools - User binaries for a GSM speech compressor
libsphinx2-dev - speech recognition library - development kit
libsphinx2g0 - speech recognition library
libtorch3-dev - State of the art machine learning library - development
files
libtorch3c2 - State of the art machine learning library - runtime library
sphinx2-bin - speech recognition utilities
sphinx2-hmm-6k - speech recognition library - default acoustic model

I don't know anything about them. Also, there is/was IBM viavoice for
linux .. you'll have to google around for info.

regards,

Old 01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Paul S wrote:
> I don't know anything about them. Also, there is/was IBM viavoice for
> linux .. you'll have to google around for info.

Was. It's unobtanium now.

This thread is a rehash of one we just had on the Ubuntu Studio list. I've
attached the most helpful response from that thread to this reply. It was
from Susan Cragin, and it was a recipe for using Windows software with WINE.

It seems like sensible advice, given the experience I had trying to do
something with Sphinx.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 AM
"uriah heep"

On Jan 5, 2008 8:30 PM, D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Paul S wrote:
> I don't know anything about them. *Also, there is/was IBM viavoice for
> linux .. you'll have to google around for info.

Was. *It's unobtanium now.

This thread is a rehash of one we just had on the Ubuntu Studio list. *I've
attached the most helpful response from that thread to this reply. *It was
from Susan Cragin, and it was a recipe for using Windows software with WINE.

It seems like sensible advice, given the experience I had trying to do
something with Sphinx.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
I am considering buying dragon software speech to test.* Unfortunately it only works on some Microsoft programs such as word.* I am in a position where in I must output enormous quantities of* work by keyboard.* Unfortunately I am saddled with several learning disabilities/prenatal brain damage which results in deficits in motor control which make it impossible for me to type rapidly.* If this program works under wine I have no idea at this time.* I hope it does but again I do not know.* This sort of thing is why I keep my computer a dual boot system.* Perhaps this works under VM but I am a newbie and have not got there yet. " I have seen this program work well on a p4 3 gigahertz machine with 1 gig memory under win xp.

Good Luck
Uriah