Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Clark

Default Video Problem WMV

Hi,

I tried to run a video (WMV) with Mplayer without success so I tried
using apt cache search, no luck, then I tried sudo apt-get install
Mplayer (and got this??? Any suggestions)

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

mplayer: Depends: libaa1 (>= 1.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libcaca0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libcucul0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libdv4 but it is not installable
Depends: libfaac0 (>= 1.24clean) but it is not installable
Depends: libggi2 (>= 1:2.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: liblame0 (>= 3.97) but it is not installable
Depends: liblircclient0 but it is not installable
Depends: libmad0 (>= 0.15.1b) but it is not installable
Depends: libmp4v2-0 (>= 2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp) but it
is not installable
Depends: libx264-54 but it is not installable
Depends: libxvidcore4 (>= 1:1.0.0-0.0) but it is not installable
Depends: mplayer-skins but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Clark.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Paul S

Clark said the following on 01/04/2008 07:46 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to run a video (WMV) with Mplayer without success so I tried
> using apt cache search, no luck, then I tried sudo apt-get install
> Mplayer (and got this??? Any suggestions)
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

> mplayer: Depends: libaa1 (>= 1.2) but it is not installable
> Depends: libcaca0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installable
> Depends: libcucul0 (>= 0.99.beta11-1) but it is not installable
> Depends: libdv4 but it is not installable
> Depends: libfaac0 (>= 1.24clean) but it is not installable
> Depends: libggi2 (>= 1:2.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: liblame0 (>= 3.97) but it is not installable
> Depends: liblircclient0 but it is not installable
> Depends: libmad0 (>= 0.15.1b) but it is not installable
> Depends: libmp4v2-0 (>= 2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp) but it
> is not installable
> Depends: libx264-54 but it is not installable
> Depends: libxvidcore4 (>= 1:1.0.0-0.0) but it is not installable
> Depends: mplayer-skins but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages

usually indicates that some of your repos in /etc/apt/sources.list are
not enabled.

regards,

Old 01-05-2008, 01:48 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 04 January 2008, Paul S wrote:
> usually indicates that some of your repos in /etc/apt/sources.list are
> not enabled.

multiverse

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Clark

Thanks to Paul s. and D. Michael Mcintyre for the response but is anyone
there who can translate this into beginner speak please? or at least
something I can work on even if I don't understand what I'm doing.

usually indicates that some of your repos in /etc/apt/sources.list are
not enabled.

Thanks,

Clark.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Anton Rolls

Before I can be sure I can help you, I need to know:

What version of Kubuntu are you running ?

Anton.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Clark wrote:

> there who can translate this into beginner speak please? or at least
> something I can work on even if I don't understand what I'm doing.

I don't know the official graphical tool way to do it. The unofficial,
unsupported, evil, horribly hacky way to do it is to go
edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root) and uncomment (get rid of the # symbols)
this bit:

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
#deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse
#deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse

(Yours may say something other than "gutsy" here. The key word is
multiverse.)

Then update and so forth in the usual fashion. From the unspeakably evil
command line, it would be something like:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mplayer

You probably have to install the "w32codecs" package explicitly too, in order
to play WMV files.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Donn

To clarify:

Only remove the # symbols in front of these two lines:
> #deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse
> #deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy multiverse

I have a low-traffic blog for basic news:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 01-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Clark

Tried this (suggestion below) and got this in reply:

*edit /etc/apt/sources.list

Warning: unknown mime-type for "/etc/apt/sources.list" -- using
"application/*"

Error: no write permission for file "/etc/apt/sources.list"

Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Donn

Clark,
Your first stop should be:
http://www.kubuntu.org/doc/7.10/index/C/index.html
To get some basics under wraps.

> edit /etc/apt/sources.list
He meant 'edit' as a verb, not a program name. You need to use kedit or kate
to actually open the file for editing. You also have to do it as root, so:
1. Alt+F2, type:
kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
Enter your normal user password.
Find the lines in question and remove the (single) # symbols.
Do NOT EDIT ANYTHING ELSE. Don't stuff that file up!
Save file and close kate.

2. Then open konsole and type:
sudo apt-get update
Type your password again.
Wait for it to finish, look out for errors.

3. Then:
sudo apt-get install mplayer
(may have to retype password)
That *should* do the trick.

I know for codecs and stuff, I usually go to the mplayer website and download
their codecs pack and put them in a folder on my drive. It's a little
intricate, but mplayer works well for me.

hth

Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Troy Lenze

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 01:07 -0500, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Saturday 05 January 2008, Clark wrote:
>
> > there who can translate this into beginner speak please? or at least
> > something I can work on even if I don't understand what I'm doing.
>
> I don't know the official graphical tool way to do it. The unofficial,
> unsupported, evil, horribly hacky way to do it is to go
> edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root) and uncomment (get rid of the # symbols)
> this bit:

*snip*

Graphical way:
1. Open Adept Package Manager