Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Douglas Phillipson

Default Audio chatters when video plays in forefront

I'm using a GForce FX5200 video card, although this problem also
exhibits itself on a Predator LT 4 PCI on Gutsy. Whenever I play video
through any player, the audio chatters. If I place a terminal window or
any other window in front of the Video the audio is fine. The audio
gradually clears up as I slowly move any window in front of the video.
Any ideas?

LSPCI shows:

00:07.3 Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus] ACPI
(rev 01)
00:07.4 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus]
USB (rev 07)
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)
00:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
00:0c.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 08)

lsmod for sound stuff shows

shows:

snd_emu10k1_synth 8192 0
snd_emux_synth 35456 1 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_virmidi 8064 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul 7680 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_emu10k1 137248 3 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_ac97_codec 100644 1 snd_emu10k1
ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 44672 0
snd_mixer_oss 17664 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 80388 4 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 5760 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 10244 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
snd_seq_oss 33152 0
snd_seq_midi 9600 0
snd_rawmidi 25728 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8448 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 53232 10
snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,s nd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi _event
cfi_cmdset_0002 24832 8
cfi_util 4480 1 cfi_cmdset_0002
jedec_probe 17920 0snd 54660 17
snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac9 7_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwde p,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_se q_device
serio_raw 8068 0
i2c_amd756 7684 0
i2c_core 26112 1 i2c_amd756
soundcore 8800 1 snd

snd_timer 24324 4 snd_rtctimer,snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq

Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi Douglas,

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I'm using a GForce FX5200 video card, although this problem also
> exhibits itself on a Predator LT 4 PCI on Gutsy. Whenever I play video
> through any player, the audio chatters. If I place a terminal window or
> any other window in front of the Video the audio is fine. The audio
> gradually clears up as I slowly move any window in front of the video.
> Any ideas?

What graphics driver is in use ?

Anton.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Douglas Phillipson

Anton Rolls wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>
>> I'm using a GForce FX5200 video card, although this problem also
>> exhibits itself on a Predator LT 4 PCI on Gutsy. Whenever I play video
>> through any player, the audio chatters. If I place a terminal window or
>> any other window in front of the Video the audio is fine. The audio
>> gradually clears up as I slowly move any window in front of the video.
>> Any ideas?
>>

> What graphics driver is in use ?
>
> Anton.

I've tried both the "nv" and the proprietary one through the
"restricted-manager". The chattering occurs using both.

Doug P