-   -   change from 7.04 to 7.10 and evolution (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/272-change-7-04-7-10-evolution.html)

adams 11-18-2007 04:28 PM

change from 7.04 to 7.10 and evolution

This morning the task bar showed that some updates
were available and as a good user I clicked on the
icon and started the updates. Then I was notified
that a system upgrade was available, so what the
heck, let's do that too.

After completion I rebooted the system. When I
brought up Evolution again to get my email I got
an error message about the password not being
accepted, so typed it in again, and the error
message repeats. OK. I can get my mail OK
and send mail (since you are getting this).

But the consol window is continuously spitting out
the following error message:

(evolution:6987): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion
`GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
fff

and I get screen after screen of this garbage.

If I terminate evolution the noise quits.

uname -a shows

Linux kubuntu7 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 21:45:15 GMT 2007
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm going to work on this problem for a while, but asking here
at the start in hopes that some one in the group has an answer.
I may be the only individual in the universe with this problem.

This is a Compaq Presario SR1550NX with AMD 64 with 2GB of ram,
nvidia graphics 120GB hard drive.

I have another HP Slimline with 2GB of ram that I will take the
7.10 kubuntu distro disc and install and see what happens to
see if the problem replicates itself for evolution.

FYI

Chuck Adams

Derek Broughton 11-18-2007 05:22 PM

adams wrote:

> This morning the task bar showed that some updates
> were available and as a good user I clicked on the
> icon and started the updates. Then I was notified
> that a system upgrade was available, so what the
> heck, let's do that too.
>
> After completion I rebooted the system. When I
> brought up Evolution again to get my email I got

Since Evolution is a Gnome app, even though you're using Kubuntu, I'd
suggest you're more likely to find help on the ubuntu-users list. I doubt
many of us here are using evolution.
--
derek

adams 11-18-2007 06:54 PM

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 14:22 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Since Evolution is a Gnome app, even though you're using Kubuntu, I'd
> suggest you're more likely to find help on the ubuntu-users list. I doubt
> many of us here are using evolution.
> --
> derek

OK, I'll bite. What is the preferred mail utility for kubuntu?

Chuck

Nils Kassube 11-18-2007 07:13 PM

adams wrote:
> OK, I'll bite. What is the preferred mail utility for kubuntu?

Kmail - it is part of Kontact and you won't find it in the menues.

Nils

Derek Broughton 11-18-2007 07:27 PM

adams wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 14:22 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Since Evolution is a Gnome app, even though you're using Kubuntu, I'd
>> suggest you're more likely to find help on the ubuntu-users list. I
>> doubt many of us here are using evolution.

> OK, I'll bite. What is the preferred mail utility for kubuntu?

No idea what's _preferred_, but kmail comes as part of Kubuntu, and
integrates with kontact. evolution's from the Dark Side :-) Recent
discussion about mail programs here would show that a good number of users
are using Thunderbird, then of course there are always the primitives who
haven't left mutt (ooh, I'm going to get hurt for that...).
--
derek

Mike Leone 11-19-2007 04:23 PM

change from 7.04 to 7.10 and evolution

adams (k7qo@commspeed.net) had this to say on 11/18/07 at 14:57:

> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 14:22 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > Since Evolution is a Gnome app, even though you're using Kubuntu, I'd
> > suggest you're more likely to find help on the ubuntu-users list. I doubt
> > many of us here are using evolution.
> > --
> > derek
> >

> OK, I'll bite. What is the preferred mail utility for kubuntu?

It's the one that works best for *you*.

In my case, it's Thunderbird. For others, KMail. etc etc etc.

Just because it's kubuntu, doesn't mean you *have* to use all the parts.