Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Clark

Default Options To get Working

I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck; Thunderbird without
the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
photo but it is huge; I selected storage media from the system menu to
save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy, the relevant Help
files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
message no help files; I tried to Rip a DVD and KB3 just sits there
without moving, it won't even play the DVD.
It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
is this "what you see is what you get Linux".

Clark

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi Clark,

Clark wrote:
> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck; Thunderbird without
> the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
> photo but it is huge; I selected storage media from the system menu to
> save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy, the relevant Help
> files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
> message no help files; I tried to Rip a DVD and KB3 just sits there
> without moving, it won't even play the DVD.
> It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
> Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
> is this "what you see is what you get Linux".
>
> Clark

You will find any new operating system difficult to get used to
at first. It's been a year for me and I feel pretty comfortable
with Kubuntu now. I've got lots of prior console experience
on other systems, though. (I recommend learning the console, it
gives you more understanding and control.)

Help for the DVD issue can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org
Just search until you find a guide that is right for your version
of Kubuntu.

I'm on Kubuntu Feisty, and instructions similar to this page
worked for me:

What's your version of Kubuntu ?

Regards,

Anton.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Donn

Clark,
> It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
> Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
> is this "what you see is what you get Linux".
I can see where you're coming from, and also where you are wrong.
On one hand, there is a lot of noise about *buntu and Gnu/Linux being ready
and a good "alternative". On the other there is the very different culture
that produces Free (emancipated) software.
The former makes is reasonable that people come to Kubuntu and expect it
to 'just work'. The latter is what scares the same group away.

Your only choice is to decide to stick with it - then you will be open to
solving problems, and contributing back into the loop - versus deciding to
move-on.

You will find Ubuntu similar. You will find any distro similar. Perhaps some
of the more commercial ones like Suse will handle some things better, but
there will be other things that freak you out.

Ask yourself if Windows (or Mac) ever did that to you; I'm sure the answer is
yes. Software is software and to bug is human

> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck;
Yes - that does suck. It's outrageous. But you went a long way towards fixing
it and that makes it less of a problem for next time. Same as anything
anywhere.

> Thunderbird without
> the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
> photo but it is huge;
The right-click send stuff (AFAIK) is a desktop thing, not Tbird, and you can
get handy menu extensions to do all kinds of tricks. I can send you one I
created to let you compress to a size you are happy with before it attaches
anything to email. Just an example, there are options.

> I selected storage media from the system menu to
> save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy,
Floppies have been getting less and less important. I noticed this shift a few
years ago and I also had to battle to get them working. State of the
situation I'm afraid.

> the relevant Help
> files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
> message no help files;
Thus the opportunity to learn something new (about the cli, in this case). You
have to think in terms like that or Gnu/Linux (or any new o/s) will drive you
mad.

I hope you stick around, it's very rewarding and you'll find that most
problems are quickly resolved (keep notes!), and that others one learns to
live with and wait for new versions. Or, roll your own!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Clark wrote:
> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck; Thunderbird without
> the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
> photo but it is huge; I selected storage media from the system menu to
> save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy, the relevant Help
> files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
> message no help files; I tried to Rip a DVD and KB3 just sits there
> without moving, it won't even play the DVD.
> It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
> Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
> is this "what you see is what you get Linux".

I suspect that KFloppy is not installed - see the "Add/Remove Program"
in the menu and you will find it. As for not playing DVD that has got to
do with restrictions on licensing. Start Adept (in System in menu) and
find "kubuntu-restricted-extras" and install, I think that will fix it.

Sinclair

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Christian Schult

Hello Clark,

Clark wrote:

> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck;

Maybe you have to install myspell-en-au to have spellchecking with
openoffice.org.

Christian

--
This is a test of the emergency signature system. Were this an actual signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net addresses, or edifying philisophical statements. This is only a test.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Valter Mura

Il mercoledž 2 gennaio 2008 22:15:24 Clark ha scritto:

Hi Clark, I'm also quite new to Linux

> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck;

my system works well, also with spellchecker (if you mean grammar check,
actually is not developed in OOo)

> Thunderbird without
> the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
> photo but it is huge;

Well, I don't use TB, but with Kmail (please try it) it is very easy, you just
right click in Dolphin (the file manager/browser) on a picture and it opens a
new message with the attachment.

> I selected storage media from the system menu to
> save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy,

Well, do you still use floppy disks? ;-)

> the relevant Help
> files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
> message no help files;

there are the man pages that help you in an extensive way, remember that the
most Linux systems are developed by volunteers and some things lacks, but man
system is good (imho)

> I tried to Rip a DVD and KB3 just sits there
> without moving, it won't even play the DVD.

I've already ripped DVD and CD and KB3 worked quite well, perhaps you wrong
something in some passages...

> It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
> Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
> is this "what you see is what you get Linux".

I thought the same before, and I still have some problems with some hardware,
but you need to start thinking that Linux doesn't work in the same way than
Windows. Uncle Bill doesn't want us to think in front of a comp, Linux system
does.
I realized that with Windows you just press idiotically the keys in the
keyboard while in Linux you need (for more complex problems) "also" to think.
Linux also offers to you the opportunity to know what are you doing
inside "your comp", while Windows doesn't in most cases (have you ever read
its licence agreement? Painfully)
This is my humble opinion, the one of a very newbie in this world.

If you have problems, the community is here to help you!

Cheers
--
Valter
Gnupg key: 0x9A058949 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Billie Walsh

Clark wrote:
> I have a system that gives OOO without spellcheck; Thunderbird without
> the option of right click send photo in condensed form, it will send a
> photo but it is huge; I selected storage media from the systemmenu to
> save a file to Floppy and it can't find the Floppy, the relevant Help
> files either speak in command line (which I don't understand or give the
> message no help files; I tried to Rip a DVD and KB3 just sits there
> without moving, it won't even play the DVD.
> It seems I have wasted more than a week on Kbuntu, time to move on.
> Is there any chance that Ubuntu or some other distribution would work or
> is this "what you see is what you get Linux".
>
> Clark

Clark, don't let it get you down. About three years ago I decided that I
had enough of Windows. XP was taking away "my" computer. It was either
do it "their" way or no way. I had a lot invested in PC architecture so
a Mac was not a real option [ $$$ ]. That pretty much left Linux. It was
VERY intimidating. Most things didn't work "Right Out Of The Box". It
took me a while to get everything working as it should. I "broke" it
quite a few times before I learned what to do and what not to do.

OK, some suggestions:

Remember, Google is your friend. Especially Google Linux.

Read the WIKI pages.

Read the mail list.

Ask questions. My old teachers said that the only stupid question was
one not asked.

Play with the buttons and switches. Don't be afraid to break it. It's
tougher than it looks. Only as "Administrator" can you do any major
damage. AND, IF, by some chance, you should break it just reinstall and
don't do that again. Every time you get something to work, or break it,
is a learning experience. Use it to your advantage.

Above all, DON'T GIVE UP! Linux is a great OS [ pick your favorite
flavor ]. Think of Windows as your computer on training wheels. Windows
keeps you from getting all skinned up by falling over. Linux takes off
the training wheels. [ Remember when your folks took off the training
wheels on your bike? ] It's REALLY wobbly at first but soon your flying
all over the neighborhood like an old pro.

Remember that old poster of a kitten hanging off the side of a branch?
Remember the caption? "Hang in there baby"

Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Clark

Thanks for the kind words Billie, I'm locked in now but like you say
"computing without training wheels" makes for some greatly expanded
highs and unfortunately lows but the promise seems unlimited.

Thanks again,

Clark.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
David Fletcher

At 14:52 03/01/2008, you wrote:

>Read the mail list.

This is VERY important. Even if they don't seem relevant to you
personally at the time, try to take a glance at all the threads.

For instance, a couple of months or maybe longer ago there was one
about the keyboard setting in xorg.conf being changed by installing
an nvidia driver. This was of no relevance to me at the time but a
few weeks ago I built a new dual core Athlon PC with an nvidia
graphics card. I didn't want to buy an nvidia card, but chose that
card because it has no fan so it is silent, it plugs into a PCI-E x16
socket, it has a DVI connector and a reviewer on ebuyer stated that
it works with his Linux setup. Given this specification the choice of
models is rather limited.

Running it with the analog connector was never a problem but when I
decided to move all my work over to this new machine during the
Christmas break, and use the DVI connector instead, the damn thing
just would not configure to use my 20 inch 1600x1200 TFT monitor
properly. The only way I could get it to work properly was by
installing the nvidia driver.

Then came the interesting part. I always use kgpg to do symmetrical
encryption on my backups because I keep copies all over the place,
including the car glove box (off site storage!). When I needed to
decrypt my backup on the new machine, kgpg insisted the password was
wrong. I couldn't recover my backup. Damn Blast and everything else.
Then remembered the posting about the nvidia driver. AHA! Fired up a
text editor and tried some shifted number keys. The keyboard mapping
was changed to the US settings! Tried all the keys to find out which
ones produced the non-alpha numeric codes I used in the password,
substituted these in the kgpg decryption dialog and PHEW this time it worked.

It was a simple matter to then open xorg.conf with vim or joe, change
"us" keyboard back to "gb" keyboard, reboot and everything was
working properly.

Yes, I could have plugged the old machine back in to do a non
encrypted backup but that would have been a PITA, more time consuming
and not half as much fun as finding out what was wrong.

So,

1) Never wipe your old hard drive until you're up and running on the
new one - just in case

2) If you encrypt your backups always use the symmetrical encryption
option - your gpg keys will be inside the encrypted backup file
therefore not available to you :'(

3) READ THE LIST

Dave