Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Kevin Kempter

Default recommended wireless PCMCIA cards?

Hi List;

I'm setting up linux for a friend on an AMD box with a built-in broadcom
wireless chip and I'm done trying to get the broadcom chip to work. Can
someone recommend a PCMCIA wireless card that works well with ndiswrapper ?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>Hi List;
>
>I'm setting up linux for a friend on an AMD box with a built-in broadcom
>wireless chip and I'm done trying to get the broadcom chip to work. Can
>someone recommend a PCMCIA wireless card that works well with ndiswrapper ?
>
>Thanks in advance

Almost any Atheros based card will work. Probably OOTB once you've configured
the network settings.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Jim

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>
>> Hi List;
>>
>> I'm setting up linux for a friend on an AMD box with a built-in broadcom
>> wireless chip and I'm done trying to get the broadcom chip to work. Can
>> someone recommend a PCMCIA wireless card that works well with ndiswrapper ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> Almost any Atheros based card will work. Probably OOTB once you've configured
> the network settings.

The best working PCMCIA cards for Linux are the Orinoco Gold cards and
their real cheap on Ebay.
Go onto ebay.com and do a search for "Orinoco Gold Cards"

I can also use the Gold Cards with a PCI adapter on a PC. Go onto
google and do a search for "pcipc"
and you will see a pci adapter that will work right out of the box with
a Orinoco Gold Card plugged in.

Goto website below and see pci adapter I'm speaking of, there are number
of pci adapters out there, but you only
want to get the adapter that has the main chipset of a Texas Instument
Logo on it , and the crosshatch in where
the pcmcia card goes. The pci adapters that have a PLX or Ricoh cipset
won't work in Linux.

http://houston.craigslist.org/sys/493864939.html

Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Jim wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>>> Hi List;
>>>
>>> I'm setting up linux for a friend on an AMD box with a built-in broadcom
>>> wireless chip and I'm done trying to get the broadcom chip to work. Can
>>> someone recommend a PCMCIA wireless card that works well with ndiswrapper
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Almost any Atheros based card will work. Probably OOTB once you've
>> configured the network settings.
>
>The best working PCMCIA cards for Linux are the Orinoco Gold cards and
>their real cheap on Ebay.
>Go onto ebay.com and do a search for "Orinoco Gold Cards"
>
>I can also use the Gold Cards with a PCI adapter on a PC. Go onto
>google and do a search for "pcipc"
>and you will see a pci adapter that will work right out of the box with
>a Orinoco Gold Card plugged in.
>
>Goto website below and see pci adapter I'm speaking of, there are number
>of pci adapters out there, but you only
>want to get the adapter that has the main chipset of a Texas Instument
>Logo on it , and the crosshatch in where
>the pcmcia card goes. The pci adapters that have a PLX or Ricoh cipset
>won't work in Linux.
>
> http://houston.craigslist.org/sys/493864939.html

Thanks, but is that not the same chipset under the stickers?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)