Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

Default How would I start a blog (for free)

On Jan 2, 2008 11:41 AM, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to have a site that I can brain-dump to now and then - to cover my
> few dev projects and house tutorials and so forth. Can anyone reccommend
> sites? I ain't got no money, so it has to be free. I'd be uploading images
> and files now and then, so some space too.
>
> Or am I smoking my socks

Maybe Wordpress:
http://wordpress.com/

Or Google's Blogger:
http://www.blogger.com/

There are plenty of free weblogging sites out there, but these two are
pretty popular. Wordpress also makes free and easy to install
blogging software if you ever look at maintaining your own server...

HTH,
Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Donn

Thanks - I'll go have a look.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Donn

> http://wordpress.com/
> http://www.blogger.com/
From what I can tell WP offers 50m of storage (but I can't upload tars or zips
or svgs). Blogger offers 1gig! of space (again, only images from what I can
tell) and it sounds like another whole set of login stuff to hassle with.

Anyone have a favourite, and a reason?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
cherryfinals

wordpress.com is a good site.

Have fun!

--- Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to have a site that I can brain-dump to now and then - to
> cover my
> few dev projects and house tutorials and so forth. Can anyone
> reccommend
> sites? I ain't got no money, so it has to be free. I'd be uploading
> images
> and files now and then, so some space too.
>
> Or am I smoking my socks

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt

Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
"WANSTALL Malcolm"

>> http://wordpress.com/
>> http://www.blogger.com/
>From what I can tell WP offers 50m of storage (but I can't upload tars
or zips
>or svgs). Blogger offers 1gig! of space (again, only images from what I
can
>tell) and it sounds like another whole set of login stuff to hassle
with.

>Anyone have a favourite, and a reason?

Most (if not all) free blog hosts won't let you upload files (other than
images)...typically files aren't involved in a blog post anyways
(usually just words, images and links). As for a favourite, the two top
free ones, WordPress and Googles Blogger cater for differing audiences:

WordPress is fantastic if you want to do lots of customisation to your
layout and structure (even if you're leaving it hosted on their servers)
and as mentioned you can even host it on your own server if you want to
tinker with it even more (it's a nice blogging engine and easy to play
around with, much easier than TypePad IMO).

Blogger is the best if you just want to get straight in there and write
your thoughts, forget about making it look too personal, just dive
straight in and write away.

In a nutshell, for customisation and personalisation (and the choice of
running it on your own server later, so you can include file upload
etc), WordPress is the go (although its default theme is ugly IMO)
however if you want ease of use and want to get typing ASAP, I'd say go
with Blogger.

Good luck!
-Mal

Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Donn

Thanks all, I went with Wordpress and I'll fiddle until I get the idea.