-   -   Automatically Starting a Script (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/26514-automatically-starting-script.html)

Tim Johnson 01-02-2008 01:21 AM

Automatically Starting a Script

Using kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)
I have the following setup:
System Settings (Advanced Tab) ->Session Manager
Under "General" I have checked:
"Confirm Logout"
"Offer Shutdown Options"
Under "On Login" I have checked:
"Restore Previous Session"
Under "Default Shutdown Option" I have checked:
"End current Session"

Problem is:
I start my editor (emacs22-x, emacs compiled for X)
as up to four different instances started by 4 different
executable shell scripts:
Example:
#!/bin/sh
emacs22-x --title Py-Macs -geometry
132x72+1+1 -eval "(color-theme-tj-dark-blue)"
;; NOTE my mail is wrapping the second line
When I restart my session, the shell scripts are _not_
executed.
Any ideas of how to get the scripts to automatically be
launched?
Thanks
Tim

"D. Michael McIntyre" 01-02-2008 01:53 AM

Automatically Starting a Script

> When I restart my session, the shell scripts are _not_
> executed.
> Any ideas of how to get the scripts to automatically be
> launched?

I bet it's because they're shell scripts, and the session manager is only
looking at applications that are running directly, instead of underneath an
invisible instance of a shell. I don't know if that's true, and I have no
insider knowledge of how any of that works, but I do have an idea for a
workaround. Why not start one instance of each out of a run box, so instead
of having something like this in the process table:

/bin/bash /home/you/bin/emacs-foo-script

You'll have something like this instead:

/bin/emacs option option option foo foo foo

(Or xemacs or whatever. I don't speak emacs.)

Why not try setting it up that way and save the session, then see what
happens? If it was a stupid suggestion, at least it shouldn't waste vast
amounts of your time or cause any irreparable harm to anything.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Tim Johnson 01-02-2008 04:17 AM

On Tuesday 01 January 2008, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > When I restart my session, the shell scripts are _not_
> > executed.
> > Any ideas of how to get the scripts to automatically be
> > launched?
>
> I bet it's because they're shell scripts, and the session manager is only
> looking at applications that are running directly, instead of underneath an
> invisible instance of a shell. I don't know if that's true, and I have no
> insider knowledge of how any of that works, but I do have an idea for a
> workaround. Why not start one instance of each out of a run box, so
> instead of having something like this in the process table:
>
> /bin/bash /home/you/bin/emacs-foo-script
>
> You'll have something like this instead:
>
> /bin/emacs option option option foo foo foo
>
> (Or xemacs or whatever. I don't speak emacs.)
>
> Why not try setting it up that way and save the session, then see what
> happens? If it was a stupid suggestion, at least it shouldn't waste vast
> amounts of your time or cause any irreparable harm to anything.
Hi:
Thanks for bringing that up.
I did the following:
From the 'run command' dialog box, executed
emacs22-x --title Py-Macs -geometry
132x72+1+1 -eval "(color-theme-tj-dark-blue)"
and the instance started as requested.

Logged out and logged back in. KDE just restarted
emacs _without_ the options.

Would be really cool if KDE had a sort of init.d where you
could specificy scripts or applications with specific options.
cheers
tim

Karl 01-02-2008 04:28 AM

Tim Johnson wrote:
> Would be really cool if KDE had a sort of init.d where you
> could specificy scripts or applications with specific options.

It is: ~/.kde/Autostart

Karl

Derek Broughton 01-02-2008 01:07 PM

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

>> When I restart my session, the shell scripts are _not_
>> executed.
>> Any ideas of how to get the scripts to automatically be
>> launched?
>
> I bet it's because they're shell scripts, and the session manager is only
> looking at applications that are running directly,

The "session manager" is, I believe, only actually handling the _KDE_
session - I don't think even Firefox is handled by the session manager
(though it has session management, it seems different - so I believe it
handles it itself).

I'm not sure why KDE moved (I think in the migration from 2.x to 3.0) the
Autostart folder off the desktop (or perhaps it never was standard in KDE
but that's where it was when I started in Corel Linux), but that's what you
need, as Karl said.
--
derek

Tim Johnson 01-02-2008 04:03 PM

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> The "session manager" is, I believe, only actually handling the _KDE_
> session - I don't think even Firefox is handled by the session manager
> (though it has session management, it seems different - so I believe it
> handles it itself).
>
> I'm not sure why KDE moved (I think in the migration from 2.x to 3.0) the
> Autostart folder off the desktop (or perhaps it never was standard in KDE
> but that's where it was when I started in Corel Linux), but that's what you
> need, as Karl said.
Yes. All I needed was symlinks in ~/.kde/Autostart
Thanks folks. That was very useful help.
cheers
tim