Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Default e-Sword, first success (and 2nd)

Nigel Henry wrote:

> what comes up.
>
> Thanks for putting me on the right path by suggesting installing the latest
> Wine version, along with wine-gecko from the Winehq repo.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Nigel, this looks very promising. I am sure that winetricks will trick
you to success.

Have a good glass of wine
Eberhard

Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Steven Vollom

> As you see from the subject line, I've now got it working on 32bit Intrepid
> 8.10, and havn't done as much as you yet.
>
> This is what I did. Went to winehq, installed GPG key,
Inexperienced in search. I went to Winehq looking for GPG key. I
couldn't find it. I am not sure what a GPG key is either. But if it is
needed to upgrand wine, would you help me, please.

> and the stanza
> necessary to access the repo. Apt-get update, then apt-get dist upgrade.

I just did the following: sudo apt-get upgrade wine. A tremendous
amount of change took place. Since I reinstalled, wine, I will need to
renstall e-Sword to, won't I? Should I get that from the e-Sword
download page or is there another approach for Jaunty installations?

Steven

Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
>> As you see from the subject line, I've now got it working on 32bit Intrepid
>> 8.10, and havn't done as much as you yet.
>>
>> This is what I did. Went to winehq, installed GPG key,
> Inexperienced in search. I went to Winehq looking for GPG key. I
> couldn't find it. I am not sure what a GPG key is either. But if it is
> needed to upgrand wine, would you help me, please.

Steven, please allow one blank line before posting your answer. This
will make it more readable for others by clearly visualizing what you
said against what the previous poster said.

On the Wine HQ website you will find download and then a repository for
Ubuntu. The GPG key in question is just one small part of the install
which is greatly documented in a step by step manner, there.

So, if you are not using this repository, you do not care for the key.
If you are using the repository and followed the instructions, you will
already have the key.

>> and the stanza
>> necessary to access the repo. Apt-get update, then apt-get dist upgrade.
>>
> I just did the following: sudo apt-get upgrade wine. A tremendous
> amount of change took place. Since I reinstalled, wine, I will need to
> renstall e-Sword to, won't I?

My guess it that your tremendous amount of data was cause by
"sudo apt-get upgrade" and wine was ignored but who knows.

At least I would advise to reinstall e-Sword. Also I suggest you start
cleanly by deleting your .wine directory. Then start winecfg from a
command line shortly, which will create a new .wine file structure.

Then install e-sword and trick your wine with "winetricks" to make it work.

Should I get that from the e-Sword
> download page or is there another approach for Jaunty installations?

You should either get it from the e-Sword page or from your harddisk
where you had downloaded it last time.

In relation to Jaunty, just let us know. On principle, I do not use
alpha or beta versions for work. However I hear nothing but praise about
Jaunty.

Eberhard