-   -   Dolphin Can't save Bookmarks? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/26454-dolphin-cant-save-bookmarks.html)

Clark 01-01-2008 10:47 PM

Dolphin Can't save Bookmarks?

Another problem,

1. Dolphin gives an error message on closure "Dolphin can't save
bookmarks ......"
2. How do I copy the error message so I can paste it into a Email and
forward it.

Thanks,

Clark.

Donn 01-02-2008 03:10 AM

Dolphin Can't save Bookmarks?

> 2. How do I copy the error message so I can paste it into a Email and
> forward it.
I have not bothered with Dolphin, but the general recipe is to start apps from
a konsole when you are keen on seeing output. Not all apps will output
anything, but some have flags that tell them to. You can then select that and
paste it into wherever.

So:
1. Open konsole
2. Type:
dolphin
3. Hit enter.
4. Do what you did to get the error, look at the output on the cli.

Failing all that, you'd have to start taking screenshots :(
(install ksnapshot, that's quite handy.)

deguz 01-02-2008 06:33 AM

Dolphin Can't save Bookmarks?

> 1. Dolphin gives an error message on closure "Dolphin can't save
> bookmarks ......"

Hi!

This helped me in the same problem:
Try: sudo chown <yourusername> <thefileitmentions>
I hope it helps.

deguz

Terence Simpson 01-02-2008 07:40 AM

Clark wrote:
> Another problem,
>
> 1. Dolphin gives an error message on closure "Dolphin can't save
> bookmarks ......"
> 2. How do I copy the error message so I can paste it into a Email and
> forward it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clark.

expanding on what deguz said, "sudo -r chown $(whoami):
~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/" will fix that.
This happens when you run dolphin (or any GUI) with sudo (as opposed to
kdesu/kdesudo).

Terence

Clark 01-02-2008 06:51 PM

Terence Simpson wrote:

Clark wrote:

Another problem,

1. Dolphin gives an error message on closure "Dolphin can't save
bookmarks ......"
2. How do I copy the error message so I can paste it into a Email and
forward it.

Thanks,

Clark.

expanding on what deguz said, "sudo -r chown $(whoami):
~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/" will fix that.
This happens when you run dolphin (or any GUI) with sudo (as opposed to
kdesu/kdesudo).

Terence

Thanks Terence,

as a someone new to Linux the above though no doubt helpful to the
experienced Linux user, is meaningless to me.* Can you or someone
explain or describe more fully what this means, how much of the above
is entered on the command line, is the ~ a literal entry or does it
imply prior knowledge.* Assistance please, what goes where and how
much.* And by the way is this a reported Bug?

Clark

*

Terence Simpson 01-02-2008 07:20 PM

Clark wrote:
> Terence Simpson wrote:
>> Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Another problem,
>>>
>>> 1. Dolphin gives an error message on closure "Dolphin can't save
>>> bookmarks ......"
>>> 2. How do I copy the error message so I can paste it into a Email
>>> and forward it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Clark.
>>>

>> expanding on what deguz said, "sudo -r chown $(whoami):
>> ~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/" will fix that.
>> This happens when you run dolphin (or any GUI) with sudo (as opposed to
>> kdesu/kdesudo).
>>
>> Terence
>>

> Thanks Terence,
>
> as a someone new to Linux the above though no doubt helpful to the
> experienced Linux user, is meaningless to me. Can you or someone
> explain or describe more fully what this means, how much of the above
> is entered on the command line, is the ~ a literal entry or does it
> imply prior knowledge. Assistance please, what goes where and how
> much. And by the way is this a reported Bug?
>
> Clark

Hi, Everything inside the quotes is supposed to go on the command line,
just copy & paste that line (when you enter ~ into a shell it get's
replaced by the location of your home directory, usually /home/username).
This particular bug happens when the application is ran with sudo (the
command you prefix other commands to run them with root privileges), so
when that application tries to save a file (your bookmarks in this case)
it writes it as root. The problem with sudo is that it keeps your
current home directory set, rather than setting it to roots, this can
cause problems as you've found out.
The bug as been reported against kdesudo a while ago (and has been fixed
to my knowledge). kdesu and kdesudo do some special things to set the
right environment up before running the graphical application that sudo
does not (as it's only supposed to be used for command line
applications), so just remember to use kdesu to run graphical
applications as root if you ever need to.

The link to the bug report is <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/155032>

I hope this has answered all your questions :)

Terence

Nils Kassube 01-02-2008 07:40 PM

Terence Simpson wrote:
> expanding on what deguz said, "sudo -r chown $(whoami):
> ~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/" will fix that.

I think the command should rather be this:

sudo chown -R $(whoami):$(whoami) ~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/

Nils

Christian Schult 01-02-2008 07:57 PM

Dolphin Can't save Bookmarks?

Hello Terence,

Terence Simpson wrote:

> Hi, Everything inside the quotes is supposed to go on the command line,
> just copy & paste that line (when you enter ~ into a shell it get's
> replaced by the location of your home directory, usually /home/username).
> This particular bug happens when the application is ran with sudo (the
> command you prefix other commands to run them with root privileges), so
> when that application tries to save a file (your bookmarks in this case)
> it writes it as root. The problem with sudo is that it keeps your
> current home directory set, rather than setting it to roots, this can
> cause problems as you've found out.

It's not a bug in sudo, it works as designed. See option -H.

Christian

Terence Simpson 01-02-2008 09:34 PM

Christian Schult wrote:
> Hello Terence,
>
> Terence Simpson wrote:
>

>> Hi, Everything inside the quotes is supposed to go on the command line,
>> just copy & paste that line (when you enter ~ into a shell it get's
>> replaced by the location of your home directory, usually /home/username).
>> This particular bug happens when the application is ran with sudo (the
>> command you prefix other commands to run them with root privileges), so
>> when that application tries to save a file (your bookmarks in this case)
>> it writes it as root. The problem with sudo is that it keeps your
>> current home directory set, rather than setting it to roots, this can
>> cause problems as you've found out.
>>

> It's not a bug in sudo, it works as designed. See option -H.
>

> Christian

I didn't say it was a bug in sudo, I said there was a bug in kdesudo.

Terence

Terence Simpson 01-02-2008 09:35 PM

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Terence Simpson wrote:
>
>> expanding on what deguz said, "sudo -r chown $(whoami):
>> ~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/" will fix that.
>>

> I think the command should rather be this:
>
> sudo chown -R $(whoami):$(whoami) ~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/
>

> Nils

Both work, if you don't fill in a group it uses your primary group.

Terence