Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Mark Greenwood

Default Thanks for the Virus.

On Monday 16 March 2009 22:21:42 Steven Vollom wrote:
> I thought my computer was getting even worse by the minute. So thanks
> to the one who doesn't understand, I have an infected computer again,
> after being away from Microsoft for over 4 years. Not only a virus, but
> some kind of ad barrage. In four years, no ads. Now every couple of
> emails is something to erase. I hope you enjoy yourself. Trouble is
> you are probably someone who has my gratitude for helping me.
>
> I forgive you, but you are misdirected. Negative things have a way of
> coming back at you. I hope this doesn't happen to you, whoever you are,
> because the come-around is pretty unforgiving.
>
> Steven

I hope you have proof that somebody on this list has infected you, because that is a pretty serious accusation.

Firstly, nobody on this list would deliberately send you a virus.
Secondly, you are running Linux. It is very unlikely that you actually have a virus.
It sounds as if you are talking about receiving spam email - unwanted email full of adverts. In which case you want to learn how to use a spam filter, like everybody else does. I receieve about 200 emails every day, but thanks to my spam filter I never have to read the ones with the adverts.

Cool down, and don't accuse people unlesss you have proof.

Mark

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Ulrich Grn

2009/3/16 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com>:
<--->
> It sounds as if you are talking about receiving spam email - unwanted email full of adverts. In which case you want to learn how to use a spam filter, like everybody else does. I receieve about 200 emails every day, but thanks to my spam filter I never have to read the ones with the adverts.
<--->

If you don't know anything about firewalls, you could choose to use a
Gmail account.
I don't know whether Google is that much better than Microsoft
(politically speaking), but at least I seldom or never find any spam
in my inbox. Though, my SPAM box is pretty full. Thanks to the way in
which Gmail is set up, the SPAM is not downloaded to my PC.

Cheers,
Ulrich
`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

" Can't talk to you without talking to me; we're guilty of the same old thing.
Thinking a lot about less and less, and forgetting the love we bring "
[Grateful Dead, in: 'Althea']

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`
de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/
http://de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/Philosophie.html

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Cary Bielenberg

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I thought my computer was getting even worse by the minute. So thanks
> to the one who doesn't understand, I have an infected computer again,
> after being away from Microsoft for over 4 years. Not only a virus, but
> some kind of ad barrage. In four years, no ads. Now every couple of
> emails is something to erase. I hope you enjoy yourself. Trouble is
> you are probably someone who has my gratitude for helping me.
>
> I forgive you, but you are misdirected. Negative things have a way of
> coming back at you. I hope this doesn't happen to you, whoever you are,
> because the come-around is pretty unforgiving.
>
> Steven

What a strange accusation to place on any *nix site/list! mate get a
grip, If you could survey this list I would doubt anyone
would be using any micro$oft products!

2c Cary

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Steven Vollom

On Monday 16 March 2009 18:27:21 John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 06:21:42 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I thought my computer was getting even worse by the
> > minute. So thanks to the one who doesn't understand, I
> > have an infected computer again, after being away from
> > Microsoft for over 4 years. Not only a virus, but some
> > kind of ad barrage. In four years, no ads. Now every
> > couple of emails is something to erase. I hope you
> > enjoy yourself. Trouble is you are probably someone who
> > has my gratitude for helping me.
> >
> > I forgive you, but you are misdirected. Negative things
> > have a way of coming back at you. I hope this doesn't
> > happen to you, whoever you are, because the come-around
> > is pretty unforgiving.
> >
> > Steven
>
> I find it a bit strange that you would be complaining about
> a MSWin virus on a Kubuntu list. Most of us don't run
> windoze, and those that do use the Dark Side as little as
> possible. How do you figure that one of us is at fault?
>

> --
> John Culleton
> Able Indexers and Typesetters
> http://wexfordpress.com
The only Windows in my box is Wine. I don't have anything to do with them
anymore. In fact if you haven't tried Jaunty, I think it will put them out of
business. I have never experienced such excellence. In Intrepid, I had
problems installing Kmail that have never been resolved, until I installed
Jaunty. In about 15 seconds it was configured and running. I don't have any
gripes with Windows anymore. I just don't use them at all. Funny thing
though, I was pretty much accused of fooling with the list, because I have
another problem that won't fix. It has been getting too many posts; I agree,
but I still have the problem.

But some from the list have take it personal, like I am creating problems on
purpose. I love the list and would never do anything like that. Nonetheless
within a short time after the inference or outright accusation, I have an
already wounded computer that dropped about 80 percent of its speed just
grinding out the opening of any simple application, and now have
advertisements clogging up my emails. I remember that from Windows. It was
virus' and adware that were the problem. Since I no longer use Virus
protection or Adaware products, just haven't needed them, I suppose it was
just a coincidence that I have two related problems enter my system for the
first time. I grieve that my post cause such anger. I guess I just don't know
what to do when a problem persists and lots of people want to help. They even
criticized the person who reviews the posts and implied that the ones who were
unhappy were filtering my emails from their computers. What an absolutely evil
thing to do, and for a bum rap.

The list is my favorite website, and I may be 86ed for reason at all.

I wasn't even unkind in my response. I don't assume it was the author of the
chastising email, I just thought it probably some young person who hadn't
matured to realize that doing unkind things have there consequences. I was
trying to help them, not spank them, even though that is what I think
appropriate. This is akin to peeking in someone's bedroom window. It is an
evil act that will have consequences for whomever did it. If I am
misunderstanding, I apologize to everyone who reads this. I am not one to
falsely accuse, but when it walks like a duck and looks like a duck and makes
duck sounds, it is usually is a duck.

Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Patricia Wilson

I just got my first spam of the year in my gmail inbox. My spam folder has over 350 emails in it. I don't know what they are using but it is pretty good.

I no longer bother with the email account from my ISP. Too big a hassle when I move and get another provider.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Ulrich Grn <ulrich.gruen@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/3/16 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@ntlworld.com>:

<--->

> It sounds as if you are talking about receiving spam email - unwanted email full of adverts. In which case you want to learn how to use a spam filter, like everybody else does. I receieve about 200 emails every day, but thanks to my spam filter I never have to read the ones with the adverts.

<--->

If you don't know anything about firewalls, you could choose to use a

Gmail account.

I don't know whether Google is that much better than Microsoft

(politically speaking), but at least I seldom or never find any spam

in my inbox. Though, my SPAM box is pretty full. Thanks to the way in

which Gmail is set up, the SPAM is not downloaded to my PC.

Cheers,

Ulrich

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

" Can't talk to you without talking to me; we're guilty of the same old thing.

* * * *Thinking a lot about less and less, and forgetting the love we bring "

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [Grateful Dead, in: 'Althea']

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`

de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/

http://de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/Philosophie.html

Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I thought my computer was getting even worse by the minute. *So thanks
> to the one who doesn't understand, I have an infected computer again,
> after being away from Microsoft for over 4 years. *Not only a virus, but
> some kind of ad barrage. *In four years, no ads. *Now every couple of
> emails is something to erase. * I hope you enjoy yourself. *Trouble is
> you are probably someone who has my gratitude for helping me.

It sounds like the defribulator valve is leaking, and that is letting
the viruses in. You may want to consider either replacing the valve
with apt-get, or just rebuilding it with tar. Of course, you should
check the input-output connectors and make sure that they are lubed
and torqued to spec.

> I forgive you, but you are misdirected. *Negative things have a way of
> coming back at you. *I hope this doesn't happen to you, whoever you are,
> because the come-around is pretty unforgiving.

I doubt that whatever is causing your system's trouble is the
deliberate action of anyone on this list. No regular poster would post
malicious code in a public forum.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
"Terrell Prud Jr."

Steven Vollom wrote:

The only Windows in my box is Wine. I don't have anything to do with them
anymore. In fact if you haven't tried Jaunty, I think it will put them out of
business. I have never experienced such excellence. In Intrepid, I had
problems installing Kmail that have never been resolved, until I installed
Jaunty. In about 15 seconds it was configured and running. I don't have any
gripes with Windows anymore. I just don't use them at all. Funny thing
though, I was pretty much accused of fooling with the list, because I have
another problem that won't fix. It has been getting too many posts; I agree,
but I still have the problem.

Sounds like you got on a spammer's list.* Someone already asked you,
what proof do you have that it came from this list?* Please answer that.

But some from the list have take it personal, like I am creating problems on
purpose. I love the list and would never do anything like that. Nonetheless
within a short time after the inference or outright accusation, I have an
already wounded computer that dropped about 80 percent of its speed just
grinding out the opening of any simple application, and now have
advertisements clogging up my emails. I remember that from Windows. It was
virus' and adware that were the problem. Since I no longer use Virus
protection or Adaware products, just haven't needed them, I suppose it was
just a coincidence that I have two related problems enter my system for the
first time. I grieve that my post cause such anger. I guess I just don't know
what to do when a problem persists and lots of people want to help.

How's this for an idea:* maybe doing some analysis before you go off
half-cocked like that?

They even
criticized the person who reviews the posts and implied that the ones who were
unhappy were filtering my emails from their computers. What an absolutely evil
thing to do, and for a bum rap.

The list is my favorite website, and I may be 86ed for reason at all.

If someone's filtering your posts from their own computers, then that's
their right.* If true, then you got 86'ed from their computers, not
this list.* Again, don't go blaming us without presenting some solid
evidence.

I wasn't even unkind in my response. I don't assume it was the author of the
chastising email, I just thought it probably some young person who hadn't
matured to realize that doing unkind things have there consequences. I was
trying to help them, not spank them, even though that is what I think
appropriate. This is akin to peeking in someone's bedroom window. It is an
evil act that will have consequences for whomever did it. If I am
misunderstanding, I apologize to everyone who reads this. I am not one to
falsely accuse, but when it walks like a duck and looks like a duck and makes
duck sounds, it is usually is a duck.

And when it walks like an unfounded accusation and looks like an
unfounded accusation and makes unfounded accusation sounds, it is
usually an...unfounded accusation!

Calm down, get a grip, and analyze your system, dude.

--TP

Do you GNU?

Microsoft Free since 2003--the
ultimate antivirus protection!