Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Paul S

Default jaunty kde 4.2 weather applet loses city upon reboot / relogin

Trying to use the lcd weather applet and encountering loss of
configuration every time I restart kde, either by reboot or
logout/login. When I leave (logout or shutdown), the lcd is showing the
correct city and data. But, after restart, it shows the word "Loading"
in the lcd.

I've looked at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and see that my city
is correctly listed, as well as the rest of the stuff.

[Containments][3][Applets][16]
geometry=1626,6,32,32
immutability=1
plugin=weatherstation
zvalue=0

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration]
updateWeather=30
windFormat=0

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][x00]
ion=

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][<snipped city name>]
ion=noaa

[Containments][3][Applets][16][Shortcuts]
global=Meta+W

To try to fix it, I right click and select Settings, then in the popup I
notice the "Select data source" has changed from my setting of noaa to
bbc weather, and under data source it shows a blank line above my city
name. If I click to hi-light my city name and hit ok, it still says

Now when I reopen the Settings, my city listing is missing altogether.
I have to reselect noaa and my city name to get it working again. It's
crazy.

Anyone have this working correctly or any ideas what to try?

TIA

Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Friday 13 March 2009 23:09:53 Paul S wrote:
> Trying to use the lcd weather applet and encountering loss of
> configuration every time I restart kde, either by reboot or
> logout/login. When I leave (logout or shutdown), the lcd is showing the
> correct city and data. But, after restart, it shows the word "Loading"
> in the lcd.
>
> I've looked at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and see that my city
> is correctly listed, as well as the rest of the stuff.
>
> [Containments][3][Applets][16]
> geometry=1626,6,32,32
> immutability=1
> plugin=weatherstation
> zvalue=0
>
> [Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration]
> updateWeather=30
> windFormat=0
>
> [Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][x00]
> ion=
>
> [Containments][3][Applets][16][Configuration][<snipped city name>]
> ion=noaa
>
> [Containments][3][Applets][16][Shortcuts]
> global=Meta+W
>
> To try to fix it, I right click and select Settings, then in the popup I
> notice the "Select data source" has changed from my setting of noaa to
> bbc weather, and under data source it shows a blank line above my city
> name. If I click to hi-light my city name and hit ok, it still says
>
> Now when I reopen the Settings, my city listing is missing altogether.
> I have to reselect noaa and my city name to get it working again. It's
> crazy.
>
> Anyone have this working correctly or any ideas what to try?

It's working for me, but I use bbc weather - so I guess it isn't loading the data source on startup. bbc weather is probably the default.

Mark

Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Paul S

Mark Greenwood said the following on 03/13/2009 09:42 PM:
>> Anyone have this working correctly or any ideas what to try?
>
> It's working for me, but I use bbc weather - so I guess it isn't loading the data source on startup. bbc weather is probably the default.
>
> Mark

Thanks for the feedback. Now that I know it's not one of the unfinished
features, I'll add it to bugs.kde.org.

regards,

Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Paul S

Actually I fixed this by deleting and recreating my ~/.kde ~/.qt
~/.config ~/.local .. not sure which one was the problem, but now it
starts properly.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/3/15 Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com>:
> Actually I fixed this by deleting and recreating my ~/.kde ~/.qt
> ~/.config ~/.local * .. not sure which one was the problem, but now it
> starts properly.

I read somewhere that many problems with plasmoids could be related to
there configuration files when upgrading the plasmoids and deleting
the config file fixes that. A program should see if its config file is
for an older version and upgrade it.

/ Jonas

Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 AM
"Richard E. Barmann"