FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Octavian Florea
 
Default ext4 issues

Very briefly put: the advantages would be better performance and reduced
fragmentation, the ability to handle much larger files and many more
subdirectories, as well
as improved timestamps. However, these improvements come at a price at
least for the moment, as they could in certain conditions lead to data
loss. More information at
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Patricia Wilson
 
Default ext4 issues

Thanks very much for the replies, especially the Wikipedia reference. For a home system many of these advantages seem like overkill but I can see their value for engineering/scientific systems where enormous files are not uncommon. I expect I would use it on a work system.


--
Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL
WB8DXX


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default ext4 issues

Patricia Wilson wrote:
> Thanks very much for the replies, especially the Wikipedia reference. For a
> home system many of these advantages seem like overkill but I can see their
> value for engineering/scientific systems where enormous files are not
> uncommon. I expect I would use it on a work system.

It is /not/ just about enormous files/filesystems. It has real
performance benefits for a desktop user.

Matt Flaschen

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default ext4 issues

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Patricia Wilson wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much for the replies, especially the Wikipedia reference. For a
>> home system many of these advantages seem like overkill but I can see their
>> value for engineering/scientific systems where enormous files are not
>> uncommon. I expect I would use it on a work system.
>>
>
> It is /not/ just about enormous files/filesystems. It has real
> performance benefits for a desktop user.
>
> Matt Flaschen
>
>
I just picked up on this post, Matt. I am 64 bit Intrepid KDE 4.2 now.
Should I use ext4 if I reinstall?

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Octavian Florea
 
Default ext4 issues

At least for now there is a good possibility to lose data on an ext4
partition if a power loss or system crash occurs (see bug 317781)
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/

The current workaround, as I understand it, reduces much of ext4's
performance gains. So, unless you really need more than 32000 subdirs,
nanosecond timestamps and have files over 16TB I would recommend waiting
till the issues are fixed.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Jonas Norlander
 
Default ext4 issues

2009/3/14 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Patricia Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks very much for the replies, especially the Wikipedia reference. For a
>>> home system many of these advantages seem like overkill but I can see their
>>> value for engineering/scientific systems where enormous files are not
>>> uncommon. I expect I would use it on a work system.
>>>
>>
>> It is /not/ just about enormous files/filesystems. *It has real
>> performance benefits for a desktop user.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>
>>
> I just picked up on this post, Matt. *I am 64 bit Intrepid KDE 4.2 now.
> Should I use ext4 if I reinstall?
>
> Steven

Definit not!

ext4 file system as new file system and for sure has a lot of bugs so
let it stable for a wile before you start to use it. And as it turned
out KDE/Gnome and also other programs don't play well with ext4 as it
is now, you will end up with a lot of truncated files if you got a
crash.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org