FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

I have a crossover cable. I would like to transfer data from one
computer to another using the cable. After the computers are connected,
what type of application will assist the transfer. I have been unable
to get Samba or fish to work. But I do have a crossover cable and would
like to try that. TIA.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Jonas Norlander
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

2009/3/13 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> I have a crossover cable. *I would like to transfer data from one
> computer to another using the cable. *After the computers are connected,
> what type of application will assist the transfer. *I have been unable
> to get Samba or fish to work. *But I do have a crossover cable and would
> like to try that. *TIA.
>
> Steven
>

Fish or sftp would be the easiest. Have you got the network between
the machines to work?

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 11:47 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have a crossover cable. I would like to transfer data from one
> computer to another using the cable. After the computers are connected,
> what type of application will assist the transfer. I have been unable
> to get Samba or fish to work. But I do have a crossover cable and would
> like to try that. TIA.

Can you go to one machine and ping the other? You do have static ip
addresses? Not sure if DHCP will handle this. But, once both machines
see each other on the local net, you should be able to copy back and
forth using scp. (man scp) If they don't recognize each other and answer
a ping, nothing will happen, so best start at ground-zero. Ric

--

My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Mike Shaw
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Your looking at this little backward. Once you have the network setup
between the machines any application you would normally use to
transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc. It sounds like you
don't have the network setup. In order to get a serial link network
setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
Administrators' Guide. You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
connection to get this to work via serial cable.

Good luck!

Mike

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a crossover cable. *I would like to transfer data from one
> computer to another using the cable. *After the computers are connected,
> what type of application will assist the transfer. *I have been unable
> to get Samba or fish to work. *But I do have a crossover cable and would
> like to try that. *TIA.
>
> Steven
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Ignazio Palmisano
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 11:47 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:
>> I have a crossover cable. I would like to transfer data from one
>> computer to another using the cable. After the computers are connected,
>> what type of application will assist the transfer. I have been unable
>> to get Samba or fish to work. But I do have a crossover cable and would
>> like to try that. TIA.
>
> Can you go to one machine and ping the other? You do have static ip
> addresses? Not sure if DHCP will handle this. But, once both machines
> see each other on the local net, you should be able to copy back and
> forth using scp. (man scp) If they don't recognize each other and answer
> a ping, nothing will happen, so best start at ground-zero. Ric

Seconded. As soon as at least one machine can ping the other, you may
use Konqueror with sftp to copy stuff back and forth (it's the same
thing as scp, only on the graphical interface).

I'd say: set a manual configuration for the ethernet on both (e.g.
192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 as ip addresses and 255.255.0.0 as netmask -
I'm a bit rusty with that stuff, but I believe those are all right for a
point to point connection), then verify if you can ping one machine from
the other. That done, try writing:

sftp://steven@192.168.0.3

on Konqueror address bar (supposing steven is your username on the
machine which has ...3 as IP, and that you are typing this on the
machine with ...2)

if Konqueror brings up a window with requests for host atuhentication
and asks for a password, then you're in business. Put in the password
for steven on ...3 and you will be able to browse the other machine like
it were on your computer. If not, either the network is not configured
or the other machine is not running sshd (the server for ssh).
In that case, install it (or post any other issues )
I.

>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Ignazio Palmisano
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Mike Shaw wrote:
> Your looking at this little backward. Once you have the network setup
> between the machines any application you would normally use to
> transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
> nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc. It sounds like you
> don't have the network setup. In order to get a serial link network
> setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
> for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
> Administrators' Guide. You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
> connection to get this to work via serial cable.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Mike

I believe he refers to a ethernet crossover cable with serial cables,
transferring the 250 gigs Steven mentioned in other threads would take
quite a bit of time...
I.

>
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Steven Vollom
> <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I have a crossover cable. I would like to transfer data from one
>> computer to another using the cable. After the computers are connected,
>> what type of application will assist the transfer. I have been unable
>> to get Samba or fish to work. But I do have a crossover cable and would
>> like to try that. TIA.
>>
>> Steven
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-users mailing list
>> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Jonas Norlander
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

2009/3/13 Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@gmail.com>:
> Your looking at this little backward. *Once you have the network setup
> between the machines any application you would normally use to
> transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
> nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc. *It sounds like you
> don't have the network setup. *In order to get a serial link network
> setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
> for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
> Administrators' Guide. *You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
> connection to get this to work via serial cable.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Mike
>

I don't see that anywhere that he using an serial cable. He says that
he has a "crossover cable" and for me thats a "crossover Ethernet
cable" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable. That
would make things easier, if he just get the network up, transfer
files with sftp/fish is easy and he don't need to use any CLI tools
for that.

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Eberhard Roloff
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Ric Moore wrote:

>
> Can you go to one machine and ping the other? You do have static ip
> addresses? Not sure if DHCP will handle this. But, once both machines
> see each other on the local net, you should be able to copy back and
> forth using scp. (man scp) If they don't recognize each other and answer
> a ping, nothing will happen, so best start at ground-zero. Ric
>

dhcp only can handle a crossover cable connection, if one (and only
one!) of the two machines acts as a dhcp server.

This is very unlikely, so you can handle it as follows:
go to one PC, open konsole and type:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1

Then go to the other machine, do the same and type

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

These commands assume that "eth0" is your network interface. If it is
named differently, adjust the command(s) accordingly.

Now go to one PC (192.168.1.1) and try to ssh to the other PC like this:
ssh 192.168.1.2

this command assumes that your username on each machine is the same. If
not, you will need to adjust the ssh command accordingly.

The reason to begin with ssh is that you will easily see, what's wrong,
if the connection fails. E.g. you possibly did not install the
openssh-server on the other machine or you had done ssh previously, when
both machines had different addresses and now you will have conflicting
ssh keys and so on...

After resolving these issues you can also use konqueror with
fish://192.168.1.2 and do just the same, just via GUI.

Kind regards
Eberhard


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Mike Shaw
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Dooooh! Whoops my bad! I mis-read. I was thinking he was using a
null modem cable.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@gmail.com>:
>> Your looking at this little backward. *Once you have the network setup
>> between the machines any application you would normally use to
>> transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
>> nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc. *It sounds like you
>> don't have the network setup. *In order to get a serial link network
>> setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
>> for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
>> Administrators' Guide. *You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
>> connection to get this to work via serial cable.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Mike
>>
>
> I don't see that anywhere that he using an serial cable. He says that
> he has a "crossover cable" and for me thats a "crossover Ethernet
> cable" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable. That
> would make things easier, if he just get the network up, transfer
> files with sftp/fish is easy and he don't need to use any CLI tools
> for that.
>
> / Jonas
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

> I have a crossover cable. *I would like to transfer data from one
> computer to another using the cable. *After the computers are connected,
> what type of application will assist the transfer. *I have been unable
> to get Samba or fish to work. *But I do have a crossover cable and would
> like to try that. *TIA.
>

Steven, you need to physically connect the machines (you have a
crossover cable, that's enough), then set up a network between the
machines (DHCP will assign addresses to each machine), then set up a
server on one machine and a client on the other. You then connect to
the server with the client, and transfer the files based upon the
protocol of the server (samba and ftp seem poppular for this purpose,
but you could use scp over SSH as well).

Does that sound complicated? I think that it is a bit more complicated
than it has to be. I do not know of any application that will make it
any easier, but I will start filing RFEs to make this easier. In the
meantime, those steps are what you need to do. Sorry.

If anyone knows of an application that makes this easier than I've
described, please mention it. Even non-Linux applications would
interest me as I might be able to learn something from them and
implement it on Linux (not the actual application, but the idea).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org