Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.
>
> One server. One protocol. Secure.

I know this. I know that each step is easy (for the most part). So why
is this thread pushing 70 posts and the OP still is not connected?

> Bah. Microsoft tried your idea long time ago. They failed. That's why
> many of us use Linux now.

Microsoft also had a GUI before Linux did. What is your point? That
Ubuntu should not try anything that Microsoft already failed at?

> End users are end users. You can make things easier, but never easy enough.

Thank you, my suggestion is to make it easier for them.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> The hard drive should have a series of 8 or 10 or so pins near the connector
>> with little tiny plastic connectors ("jumpers") that connect pairs of the pins
>> together. And somewhere on that hard drive should be a diagram showing the
>> placement of those pins for various uses ("master," "slave" etc.).
>>

> He said that it is a sata drive, so no jumpers.
>

>> If you place the pins for "slave" and hook up the hard drive, kubuntu should
>> start up from where it's accustomed to, and possibly find and mount the new
>> hard drive. (It's been a long time since I added a hard drive to a Linux
>> installation, and modern Linuces have spoiled me, what with auto-this and
>> auto-that; if it doesn't mount automatically, somebody on the list should be
>> able to help you to find the drive name and mount it.)
>>

> Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. If the BIOS had been
> configured for a two drive setup and to boot from the slave, and then
> the slave is removed, it would now boot from the slave that Stephen
> puts in. I've seen this happen countless times. The only way to be
> sure is to open the BIOS and configure it each time a drive is added
> or removed. It is not difficult.

I do not understand all you are saying, but the HDD in my new computer
is definately a SATA drive. The Old drives are not, I don't think. The
power plug is the old type, for sure. If having the old type plug still
could be a SATA, I think one of them may be a SATA, there was something
special about that drive. My memory said that it was SATA and that was
what was specail, but my memory is not reliable.

Won't it say so on the drive? It was the newer drive, the 200gb.
Perhaps I should move that one first, so if it is a SATA it won't mess
with sftab settings. I can get the data moved and move on to the other
drive without problem. Then when I move the older drive, I will set it
as a slave, move the data, then format and ready it for new system
install in the old computer again.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I do not understand all you are saying, but the HDD in my new computer
> is definately a SATA drive. *The Old drives are not, I don't think. *The
> power plug is the old type, for sure. *If having the old type plug still
> could be a SATA, I think one of them may be a SATA, there was something
> special about that drive. *My memory said that it was SATA and that was
> what was specail, but my memory is not reliable.

Sata / ide has nothing to do with fstab, but rather with jumper
configuration. At least, for purposes of this thread.

> Won't it say so on the drive? *It was the newer drive, the 200gb.
> Perhaps I should move that one first, so if it is a SATA it won't mess
> with sftab settings. *I can get the data moved and move on to the other
> drive without problem. *Then when I move the older drive, I will set it
> as a slave, move the data, then format and ready it for new system
> install in the old computer again.

I don't think that it wil lsay so, but it might. At a minimum the
drive part number will be clearly visible, and you could google that
drive to confirm.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.
>>
>> One server. One protocol. Secure.
>>

> I know this. I know that each step is easy (for the most part). So why
> is this thread pushing 70 posts and the OP still is not connected?

Because OP can't follow instructions?

I don't want to hurt Steven, but it took me like 10 (private) emails
to explain him how to plug his router. He needs to concentrate a
little more.

Sometimes I feel he do this on purpose. He knows how to ping. He has
done that for me while configuring his router, but in a message in
this thread he says he doesn't know! This is driving me crazy. Yeah. I
can ignore the thread and the poster, and that's what I'm going to do
as soon as I press reply.

>> Bah. Microsoft tried your idea long time ago. They failed. That's why
>> many of us use Linux now.
>>

> Microsoft also had a GUI before Linux did. What is your point? That
> Ubuntu should not try anything that Microsoft already failed at?

I won't answer that. You know is not the point I made.

>> End users are end users. You can make things easier, but never easy enough.
>>

> Thank you, my suggestion is to make it easier for them.

Good luck with that. I've been there.

Regards,
Norberto

Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Steven Vollom

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.
>>>
>>> One server. One protocol. Secure.
>>> -- -- --
>>>

>>> See Ya'
>>>

>>> Howard Coles Jr.
>>>

>>> John 3:16!
>>>

>>> See Ya'
>>>

>>> Howard Coles Jr.
>>>

>>> John 3:16!
>>>

>>> See Ya'
>>>

>>> Howard Coles Jr.
>>>

>>> John 3:16!
>>>

>> I know this. I know that each step is easy (for the most part). So why
>> is this thread pushing 70 posts and the OP still is not connected?
>>

> Because OP can't follow instructions?
>
> I don't want to hurt Steven, but it took me like 10 (private) emails
> to explain him how to plug his router. He needs to concentrate a
> little more.

Please don't worry about hurting me. I don't remember the conversation
about plugging in the router, but I am sure you are telling the truth.
I haven't realized I received that kind of instruction. It is plugged
in the same way as it was about 3 months ago. I haven't changed a
thing. The only thing I have changed is resetting it. Apparently I did
not reset it when I thought I did, because I didn't hold the pin in long
enough. That is the only change I have made in the router from long
before this post started.
> Sometimes I feel he do this on purpose. He knows how to ping. He has
> done that for me while configuring his router, but in a message in
> this thread he says he doesn't know! This is driving me crazy. Yeah. I
> can ignore the thread and the poster, and that's what I'm going to do
> as soon as I press reply.

I have tried to do exactly as I have been instructed. I promise you
that I have not done anything on purpose as you state. I am working day
and night on this problem without much sleep. In fact I can't sleep
because it is on my mind all the time. Before I started getting help
from the list, I did not have anyone to help me. I apparently screwed
up everything. As far as knowing how to ping. A few minutes ago, I
made my first successful ping ever, so whomever said I did it for him
has me confused with someone else. If he was talking about me, he
should reread my response, because I found out why I have not succeeded
in pinging today. I am embarrassed to say that I have been attempting
to ping using the address bar of konqueror. Hein van Rensburg of South
Africa just sent me an email instructing me to type ping 192.168.0.102
into a shell. When I did that I got my first ping. It surprised me
because it worked. I then did the same thing in reverse from my other
computer and it worked too. I still do not have communication between
my computers in a way that I can do anything. I know now that they
communicate, but following the instructions of several people, I have
never been able to get the other computer to come up on the screen I am
working from. Hein is going to call me on the telephone today and
explain what to do.

I am pretty sure I screwed up the mounting on my old computer a long
time ago. Everyone who has looked at the data it provides when I give
them what they ask for says it is screwed up. No one has been able to
solve the problem. I am more frustrated than any of you. I have been
working on this problem every day all day since the first post. I have
not taken a break, except for 2 to 4 hours a day. I have been trying to
solve it on my own for over 15 hours today alone. What is your
suggestion. I receive instruction. I apply the instruction. I get an
error message. I reply. Over and over. No one has suggested I forget
about it. Shoot, I am ready to lose all 250gb of data just to get the
problem behind me. But if any of you knows he can solve the problem.
Give me your instructions. I will take a screen print of every result,
so you can see I am applying the instructions accurately and getting
error as a result.

I am beyond grateful for the help I have received, but you are really
unfair if you thing I make a game out of this. If you want me off the
list, just say so. It will be hard for me to give it up, but I will. I
never have done anything to abuse the privilege. It is the best thing
that has happened to me. For the first time in 20 years I am learning
how to use my computer properly. But I did not join to hurt or abuse
anyone. I may be the dumbest person you have ever known, but I am not
insincere or dishonest or lazy or any of the negative things you have
implied.

I mean what I said. If even one of you wants me to stop using the list,
just send an email to my personal address: stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net
and I will stop posting. I will not embarrass you, I will simply stop
posting. Quite frankly everyone who has helped has thought they had the
solution, but it still doesn't work. 70 posts or 700 it still doesn't work.

Steven

Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.
>>
>> One server. One protocol. Secure.

I installed exactly as you said. Now what? The application is in my
computer, but what do I do to make it work. I must have to type
something in somewhere to make the connection, but I have the same
problem with samba and fish. With fish, I type what I am told to type
and it doesn't work. With Samba I don't know what to do after it is
installed to get it to work. With openssh-server, I type it in the
terminal and a page full of stuff I don't understand comes on the screen.

Using Konqueror, here is what I type in the address bar for fish:

fish://192.168.0.102 That is the address of my old computer. This is
what comes on the screen:

The requested operation could not be completed
Unknown Host

Details of the Request:

Protocol: fish
DAte and time: Sunday 15 March 2009 8:53 am
Additional Information:

An unknown host error indicates that the server with the requested
name,, could not be located on the Internet (the 2 commas are on the page)

Possible Causes:

The name that you typed, , may not exist: it may be incorrectly typed.
There may have been a problem with your network connection.
There may have been a problem with your network configuration if you
have been accessing the Internet with no problems recently, this is
unlikely.

Possible Solutions:

Check your network connection status.
Contact your appropriate computer support system, whether the system
adminsistrator, or technical support group for further assistance.

And since I finally got a ping this morning from one to the other and
back again, I know that I am connected. Both computers connect with the
Internet using a browser and email. I can search the web without problem.

I am not challenging anyone's intelligence or technical ability, I only
suggest that the actual problem has not been identified, and I am the
least able to find it. You may be tired reading the posts, but I am
more tired of posting. Each of you is only burdened by the posts I
reply to you. I have to write each of you over and over and over,
because the things you have suggested have not worked.

It has been the same for every different application I have installed.

Please. Tell me what I can do to get a successful result.

Steven

Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Dotan Cohen

>>> $ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.
>>>
>>> One server. One protocol. Secure.
>>>
> I installed exactly as you said. *Now what? *The application is in my
> computer, but what do I do to make it work. *I must have to type
> something in somewhere to make the connection, but I have the same
> problem with samba and fish. *With fish, I type what I am told to type
> and it doesn't work. *With Samba I don't know what to do after it is
> installed to get it to work. *With openssh-server, I type it in the
> terminal and a page full of stuff I don't understand comes on the screen.

Don't worry, Stephen. That stuff is easy to understand once you
understand 500 other Linux-specific things. But the Ubuntu target user
(according to Mark Shuttleworth, the Ubuntu founder) is the naive
Windows convert who does not want nor need to learn arcane commands.
The goal of Ubuntu is to bring these difficult-for-some things into
the realm of the naive home user. That would be you! And that is quite
the reason that I believe Ubuntu needs a tool to automate this.

I will be honest, sometimes I wonder if your issues are just looking
for attention, but the truth is that it does not bother me. I know
that you are a _very_ interesting person from private mail between us
on subjects other than Linux, and that I have just as much to learn
from you on that subject as you have from me on Linux. I am only
making this message public because I have concern that others may feel
the same.

And in any case, the issues that you bring up identify deficiencies in
Ubuntu's goal of being simple for the naive home user. That type of
user feedback is invaluable in my opinion. So troll on!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
John L Vifian

On Sunday 15 March 2009 6:07:10 am Steven Vollom wrote:

It looks as if you mistyped the URL because your browser should be reporting the URL as URL: fish://192.168.0.102 with two forward slashes.

Also which machine did you install openssh-server on? It should be on the machine that you are trying to connect too, and not the one you are trying to connect from.

Can you still ping each machine from the other?

John Vifian

--

Define the Universe and give three examples. - Anonymous

Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Steven Vollom

John L Vifian wrote:
> On Sunday 15 March 2009 6:07:10 am Steven Vollom wrote:
>

> It looks as if you mistyped the URL because your browser should be
> reporting the URL as URL: fish://192.168.0.102 with two forward slashes.
>

> Also which machine did you install openssh-server on? It should be on
> the machine that you are trying to connect too, and not the one you
> are trying to connect from.
It is on my older macchine.

> Can you still ping each machine from the other?
I just learned how to do that yesterday, and yes.

> John Vifian
> --
> Define the Universe and give three examples. - Anonymous 1) A speck
> of dust in the eye of GOD, 2) A neverending story, 3) Something to
> never get tired of looking at and enjoying.
Thank you for your kind response. The typo is in the email, I have been
using //. There are serious problems with one of my boxes. None of the
good advice that has come from the List has helped. I have a new
friend, very long distance, Pretoria, South Africa who is a genius in
these matters. He called me yesterday and we worked for 6 hours on the
problem. He ran out of time just prior to the final solution, but will
call back today. In any event, I have tried fish, openssh, Samba, and
one other that I can't remember the name right now. I seem to have the
same problem with each. One of my computers is functioning properly and
set up to receive data from the other. The other computer still has a
couple of glitches.

In all likelihood I am the culprit in the matter. I have been alone
with my computer problems for about 20 years. I have worked around and
still am working around problems that are of self creation I think. I
have never had any help nor the ability to communicate with the forums
over the years. A response that takes 2 to 4 weeks to get a reply is
too long for me to retain what is going on, so I have, by
experimentation, worked my problems through creative means to keep a
computer running, that and a lot of formatting and reinstalling.

Since I got on the list, I have been learning reasonably fast. My old
computer has been working with the two drives and several partitions
improperly mounted. It has screwed up how networking can serve me. It
is so bad that I will finally have to format and start over; I am simply
trying to save 250gb of data I prefer not to lose, if possible. When
the problem is solved I will be using Samba, but I am still a day from
solution. A very bright man has made my problem, his problem, so you
can consider the problem solved, with my gratitude for your effort. I
am so very fortunate.

Steven