Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

> I apologize for my confusion, but here it says ping -c 2
> address.of.other.computer
> Is that a correct command or should it be 'ping -c 2 74.125.45.100 ?

Stephen, I am going to be mean to you right now. Please look at the
text "address.of.other.computer" and figure out for yourself what the
meaning of it is. I can hold your hand, and give your explicit
instructions, but I cannot make you read what is written and
understand it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Dotan Cohen

>>> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
>>> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.
>>>
> This does sound interesting. *It must be a left brain though. *It is so
> simple, I can't see why I did not just have the idea. *Anyway, I suspect
> the problem is I must change it so that it is a slave, but I don't
> understand the word 'manually' in this respect.

By "manually" Imeant not to add an fstab entry.

> If I install it in the
> new computer, won't it already be acknoledged? *When would the option of
> manual install take place?

You will just make a directory to mount it, then mount it once you
have a terminal.
$ mkdir /mnt/new-drive
$ mount /dev/hdb /mnt/new-drive

> And since I have an OS on each HDD, can't I just *move the HDD to my new
> computer, then transfer the data. *Then remove it again. *Then remove
> the second HDD from the old computer and move it to the new computer to
> make the transfer of the data on that drive.

Sure you can. Just make sure that your BIOS is configured to boot from
the partition that you want.

> At that point my work has been done. *So then regardless of my tender
> fstab, just format and install a new OS. *That would leave a fresh
> install in the old computer to give to my friend, and it with a fresh
> and robust fstab? *Does this sound logical?

Don't format a drive with your data on it.

>> The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he gets all
>> his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up either right
>> back where he started because the added HD will not be detected, or a computer
>> that isn't going to boot.
>>
> Currently, I only have a single 500gb SATA drive in my new computer. *If
> I install one of the other HDD's in my new computer, *won't the only
> problem I have is to make the HDD a slave? *What else must I do? *And
> thanks for being so considerate, but I think I can handle the changing
> of the drives OK.

If they are sata drives then you will not have to mess with jumpers.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Additionally, I am interested in knowing the crossover technology.
>>

> There is no crossfire technology. The changing of the wire's location
> is an artifact, not a technology. It's still ethernet over cat5. Those
> are two terms that you can google if you want to know more about the
> technology.

Whether relevant or not, I said crossover, you replied crossfire. By
the way my motherboard has crossfire ability. Thanks for the help, friend.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Steven Vollom

> Both cables give you the same speed, unless your nics are 1Gbps and
> your router/switch is only 10/100Mbps.

Norberto, my router is g, the new computer is definately at least G
perhaps N, I am not sure about the old computer. It is a Dell 2.3mhz
Pent 4. Is there a way to check the LAN capability in the old
computer? Thanks again friend.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I apologize for my confusion, but here it says ping -c 2
>> address.of.other.computer
>> Is that a correct command or should it be 'ping -c 2 74.125.45.100 ?
>>

> Stephen, I am going to be mean to you right now. Please look at the
> text "address.of.other.computer" and figure out for yourself what the
> meaning of it is. I can hold your hand, and give your explicit
> instructions, but I cannot make you read what is written and
> understand it.

What I understand is this, '192.168.0.101', if that is not correct,
re-reading or thinking about it won't help. If using the number I just
wrote doesn't work, then they must not be connected, because I do not
get any reply.

Additionally, you have a '.' between the words. To me, that would imply
that it is a computer entry that needs to have no spaces between the
words. The alternate being '_'. Am I reading something into that that
is not intended?

I appreciate the not-holding-my-hand, but if after you read this
response, I am still getting it wrong, I am wired differently and will
never make a connection. The preceding two paragraphs indicate the only
possible conclusions I can see. If neither are correct, I need baby
food. Thanks friend.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Peter Hummers

On Saturday 14 March 2009 08:32:19 Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
> >> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.
>
> This does sound interesting. It must be a left brain though. It is so
> simple, I can't see why I did not just have the idea. Anyway, I suspect
> the problem is I must change it so that it is a slave, but I don't
> understand the word 'manually' in this respect. If I install it in the
> new computer, won't it already be acknoledged? When would the option of
> manual install take place?
>
> And since I have an OS on each HDD, can't I just move the HDD to my new
> computer, then transfer the data. Then remove it again. Then remove
> the second HDD from the old computer and move it to the new computer to
> make the transfer of the data on that drive.
>
> At that point my work has been done. So then regardless of my tender
> fstab, just format and install a new OS. That would leave a fresh
> install in the old computer to give to my friend, and it with a fresh
> and robust fstab? Does this sound logical?
>
> > The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he
> > gets all his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up
> > either right back where he started because the added HD will not be
> > detected, or a computer that isn't going to boot.
>
> Currently, I only have a single 500gb SATA drive in my new computer. If
> I install one of the other HDD's in my new computer, won't the only
> problem I have is to make the HDD a slave? What else must I do? And
> thanks for being so considerate, but I think I can handle the changing
> of the drives OK.

The hard drive should have a series of 8 or 10 or so pins near the connector
with little tiny plastic connectors ("jumpers") that connect pairs of the pins
together. And somewhere on that hard drive should be a diagram showing the
placement of those pins for various uses ("master," "slave" etc.).

If you place the pins for "slave" and hook up the hard drive, kubuntu should
start up from where it's accustomed to, and possibly find and mount the new
hard drive. (It's been a long time since I added a hard drive to a Linux
installation, and modern Linuces have spoiled me, what with auto-this and
auto-that; if it doesn't mount automatically, somebody on the list should be
able to help you to find the drive name and mount it.)

> Steven
>
> > Blessings,
> > David M.
> > http://www.dmcentral.net

~Pete HUMMERS

Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Whether relevant or not, I said crossover, you replied crossfire. *By
> the way my motherboard has crossfire ability. *Thanks for the help, friend.

Sorry, I meant crossover. Crossfire is a technology for combining two
video cards. It is also a type of throttlebody fuel injection,
pioneered by GM in the early 1980's, in which the fuel in injected at
a right angle to the airflow, as opposed to parallel to the airflow in
conventional fuel injection.

Either way, only Crossover is relevant to this thread. Sorry.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Both cables give you the same speed, unless your nics are 1Gbps and
>> your router/switch is only 10/100Mbps.
>>
> Norberto, my router is g, the new computer is definately at least G
> perhaps N, I am not sure about the old computer. It is a Dell 2.3mhz
> Pent 4. Is there a way to check the LAN capability in the old
> computer? Thanks again friend.
>
> Steven

Steven,

forget about this quickly. Your router is wireless 802.11_"g"_ which has
absolutely nothing to do with what Norberto said.

Moreover a 2.3 Ghz P4 almost never has a Gigabit nic, unless yopu had
added one later.

So there will be absolutely no difference between crossover and router
connectivity in regard to the network speed that you will get.

Eberhard

Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Dotan Cohen

> The hard drive should have a series of 8 or 10 or so pins near the connector
> with little tiny plastic connectors ("jumpers") that connect pairs of the pins
> together. And somewhere on that hard drive should be a diagram showing the
> placement of those pins for various uses ("master," "slave" etc.).

He said that it is a sata drive, so no jumpers.

> If you place the pins for "slave" and hook up the hard drive, kubuntu should
> start up from where it's accustomed to, and possibly find and mount the new
> hard drive. (It's been a long time since I added a hard drive to a Linux
> installation, and modern Linuces have spoiled me, what with auto-this and
> auto-that; if it doesn't mount automatically, somebody on the list should be
> able to help you to find the drive name and mount it.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. If the BIOS had been
configured for a two drive setup and to boot from the slave, and then
the slave is removed, it would now boot from the slave that Stephen
puts in. I've seen this happen countless times. The only way to be
sure is to open the BIOS and configure it each time a drive is added
or removed. It is not difficult.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> He end user will still need to configure servers
> and clients and secure protocols.

$ sudo aptitude install openssh-server.

One server. One protocol. Secure.

> Why make the user go through all
> that, for what could arguably be a common use case?

Bah. Microsoft tried your idea long time ago. They failed. That's why
many of us use Linux now.

End users are end users. You can make things easier, but never easy enough.