Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

>> Here, I wrote up a brainstorm idea for Ubuntu. Please read it and
>> comment or vote here:
>> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18603/
>>

> I can't speak for others, but I think the idea is genius, Dotan. *Wish I
> were able to help.

You can help. Post a comment stating how much you need this tool. Once
the idea is approved (in a few hours/ days) you can vote for it, too.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM
David McGlone

On Friday 13 March 2009 11:19:41 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Steven Vollom
> >
> > <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> I have a crossover cable. I would like to transfer data from one
> >> computer to another using the cable.
> >
> > Why!!!???
> >
> > You have a perfectly running network with the router you configured
> > with my -and others- help. So why do you want to go the hard way?
>
> We have come to sort of an impass. We haven't been able to make a
> functioning connection either by using fish or Samba. The closest we
> have come is just now I have one computer showing detail from both
> computers for the first time. What it shows is not particular pleasing,
> but at least they are communicating. I had already posted regarding
> crossover anyway, before this breakthrough.
>
> Additionally, I am interested in knowing the crossover technology. One
> thing I have not received an answer for is this, which of these
> processes transfers data faster. For now I am only going to use this
> capability one time. I have about 250gb of data to move and a person
> anxiously waiting in the wings to get my old computer.
>
> Once the data is moved, I will be giving the computer to him. I won't
> need the ability again until I fix the on/off switch on my laptop. Then
> it will again be useful. You seem to know all the ways to transfer the
> data using a network. I would also like to know the different ways. It
> is no more complicated than that. If it is an abuse of the Lists time,
> I would rather not do it, but if not, anyone who would like to know
> these things too, can peek over my shoulder and experience the learning
> process with me.

Steven, Why not just put a DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW in the old computer, fire up
K3B, burn your data on a disk then copy the stuff on the disk onto your new
computer. Then you can learn about networking and more advanced techniques at
your own pace.

I think this subject is just far too complicated to try and explain through E-
Mail, given your limited knowledge of certain things like ping, ip addresses,
scp, etc, etc.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 AM
David McGlone

On Saturday 14 March 2009 12:08:25 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Additionally, I am interested in knowing the crossover technology.
>
> There is no crossfire technology. The changing of the wire's location
> is an artifact, not a technology. It's still ethernet over cat5. Those
> are two terms that you can google if you want to know more about the
> technology.
>
> > One
> > thing I have not received an answer for is this, which of these
> > processes transfers data faster.
>
> Can't say. In theory, eliminating the router may speed things up. In
> practice not so.
>
> > For now I am only going to use this
> > capability one time. I have about 250gb of data to move and a person
> > anxiously waiting in the wings to get my old computer.
>
> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.

I agree. But I suggested using CD/DVD media, because I think putting the old
HD in the new computer would also be a little too advanced for him at this
time.

The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he gets all
his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up either right
back where he started because the added HD will not be detected, or a computer
that isn't going to boot.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Dotan Cohen

2009/3/14 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> I am ashamed I have to say this, but how do I ping the other computer?
>>>

>> $ ping address.of.other.computer
>>
>> However, if you do not have a network configured, then the other
>> computer doesn't even have an address yet.
>>

> Hi Dotan,
>
> Long time without contact. *I pasted your words into the shell. *It just
> returned to my , steven@Yeshua:~$

No kidding. Please go back and read it carefully. Read it, don't copy
it. Now, why do you think that it didn't work?

> What happens if I have a connection? *Does the audio make a pinging
> sound, do bells ring, flashing lights, pretty girls come on the screen,
> what? *I am not connected though, am I.

You will get a list of response times from the host, like this:

$ ping google.com
PING google.com (74.125.45.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=175 ms
64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=178 ms
64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=175 ms

You can stop them with Ctrl-C. Or, set your machine to only do two, like this:

$ ping -c 2 address.of.other.computer

Of course, pinging google like I did in the previous example won't
help you, you need to ping the address of the second computer.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here, I wrote up a brainstorm idea for Ubuntu. Please read it and
>>> comment or vote here:
>>> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18603/
>>>

>> I can't speak for others, but I think the idea is genius, Dotan. *Wish I
>> were able to help.
>>

> You can help. Post a comment stating how much you need this tool. Once
> the idea is approved (in a few hours/ days) you can vote for it, too.

The idea seems overkill. You just need auto-negotiate address in
169.254.x.x space. Doesn't Ubuntu already do this?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Steven Vollom

> No kidding. Please go back and read it carefully. Read it, don't copy
> it. Now, why do you think that it didn't work?

I take this to mean the numbers? OK, I have screwed around enough with
my settings trying to figure how to get a connection, I can't remeber
which computer is 100 and which is 101. I have tried 192.168.0.100 and
I have tried 192.268.0.101 and with one I get transferred to a google
page that says "my computer" the other "foreing writing (oriental)" I
am reading 2 responses down from this one right now, where it says $
ping google.com. Should I type in ping 'my computer' then instead of
the numbers?

>> What happens if I have a connection? Does the audio make a pinging
>> sound, do bells ring, flashing lights, pretty girls come on the screen,
>> what? I am not connected though, am I.
>>

> You will get a list of response times from the host, like this:
>
> $ ping google.com
> PING google.com (74.125.45.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=175 ms
> 64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=178 ms
> 64 bytes from google.com (74.125.45.100): icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=175 ms
>
> You can stop them with Ctrl-C. Or, set your machine to only do two, like this:
>
> $ ping -c 2 address.of.other.computer

I apologize for my confusion, but here it says ping -c 2
address.of.other.computer
Is that a correct command or should it be 'ping -c 2 74.125.45.100 ? I
must drive you nuts with my crossed-brain thinking. I don't know
whether I don't think enough, or over-think a problem, or am stupid.

Additionally, when I get this right and type in '$ ping -c 2
address.of.other.computer' properly, is this command remembered in the
computer, or if I need to do the 'ping' request again, will I need to
reenter the command, or will the computer already be instructed to only
ring twice? To remember to redo it or to remember the ctrl ? command, I
won't be able to remember, because it takes several repetitive actions
with anything to remember anymore.

And how do I add the reference to your Idea about networking to the
bottom of my List responses?
> Of course, pinging google like I did in the previous example won't
> help you, you need to ping the address of the second computer.

My guess is that because I don't have a .com for my other computer, I
will have to enter the numbers, correct?

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Steven Vollom

>> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
>> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.

This does sound interesting. It must be a left brain though. It is so
simple, I can't see why I did not just have the idea. Anyway, I suspect
the problem is I must change it so that it is a slave, but I don't
understand the word 'manually' in this respect. If I install it in the
new computer, won't it already be acknoledged? When would the option of
manual install take place?

And since I have an OS on each HDD, can't I just move the HDD to my new
computer, then transfer the data. Then remove it again. Then remove
the second HDD from the old computer and move it to the new computer to
make the transfer of the data on that drive.

At that point my work has been done. So then regardless of my tender
fstab, just format and install a new OS. That would leave a fresh
install in the old computer to give to my friend, and it with a fresh
and robust fstab? Does this sound logical?
> The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he gets all
> his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up either right
> back where he started because the added HD will not be detected, or a computer
> that isn't going to boot.

Currently, I only have a single 500gb SATA drive in my new computer. If
I install one of the other HDD's in my new computer, won't the only
problem I have is to make the HDD a slave? What else must I do? And
thanks for being so considerate, but I think I can handle the changing
of the drives OK.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Steven Vollom

David McGlone wrote:
> Steven, Why not just put a DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW in the old computer, fire up
> K3B, burn your data on a disk then copy the stuff on the disk onto your new
> computer. Then you can learn about networking and more advanced techniques at
> your own pace.

250gb of data.
> I think this subject is just far too complicated to try and explain through E-
> Mail, given your limited knowledge of certain things like ping, ip addresses,
> scp, etc, etc.

Unless it is a burden to the list, I can learn if we proceed. I can't
learn the process then be able to help others with the selfsame problem
in the future, if I skip the learning process and move on. I know I am
frustrating you all, but you are not aware of all the things I can now
do because of what I have learned from the list. I have even helped
others with the knowledge. I am certain it is a 'right-brain'
'left-brain' problem for me, not just being a newbie or just plain stupid.

One thing that is evidence to me is this: I can now use a shell, and
type in the appropriate command to join two 'avi' files together,
without having to think about what I must do. I type with confidence
and don't worry about typing errors, because I now know that this can be
done without damage to the system, only the need to re-type the command
and correct any mistake. There are several other command line things I
can do without problem. I can apply instructions provided me faster,
because of my on going familiarity with these taught and learned
activities. When I have learned what you guys know, no one will know
how stupid I was; I will be up-to-speed and joining you in helping
others. And Blessings o you David M.

Steven

Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Alvin

On Saturday 14 March 2009 12:19:02 Norberto Bensa wrote:

> >> I can't speak for others, but I think the idea is genius, Dotan. Wish I
> >> were able to help.
> >
> > You can help. Post a comment stating how much you need this tool. Once
> > the idea is approved (in a few hours/ days) you can vote for it, too.
>
> The idea seems overkill. You just need auto-negotiate address in
> 169.254.x.x space. Doesn't Ubuntu already do this?

Indeed, Ubuntu already has that. It's called link-local addressing, or APIPA.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

> The idea seems overkill. You just need auto-negotiate address in
> 169.254.x.x space.

Try explaining that to Stephen, or any target end user (see bug #1 for
the Ubuntu target end user).

> Doesn't Ubuntu already do this?

What does it matter? He end user will still need to configure servers
and clients and secure protocols. Why make the user go through all
that, for what could arguably be a common use case?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il