Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@gmail.com>:
>
>> Your looking at this little backward. Once you have the network setup
>> between the machines any application you would normally use to
>> transfer files between two machines will work, i.e. ftp, scp, rsync,
>> nfs mount and copy, samba mount and copy, etc. It sounds like you
>> don't have the network setup. In order to get a serial link network
>> setup you might look at the Linux Documentation Project(www.tlp.org)
>> for details, especially the Serial How-to and the Network
>> Administrators' Guide. You are going to setup either a SLIP or PPP
>> connection to get this to work via serial cable.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I don't see that anywhere that he using an serial cable. He says that
> he has a "crossover cable" and for me thats a "crossover Ethernet
> cable" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable. That
> would make things easier, if he just get the network up, transfer
> files with sftp/fish is easy and he don't need to use any CLI tools
> for that.
>
> / Jonas

Thanks mike, but I have a crossover LAN cable, if you were talking about
joining two serial ports. I have a very screwed up mount situation on
one computer. Haven't been able to resolve, even with the help of two
of the best at repairing screwed up boxes. I am the guilty part that
screwed them up. I just got an email from one who has obviously read my
new post; I think he may have the solution now. What a guy; never seen
anyone with such tenacity and patience. I will check the lead out.
Thanks friend.

STeven

Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Steven Vollom

> Can you go to one machine and ping the other? You do have static ip
> addresses? Not sure if DHCP will handle this. But, once both machines
> see each other on the local net, you should be able to copy back and
> forth using scp. (man scp) If they don't recognize each other and answer
> a ping, nothing will happen, so best start at ground-zero. Ric

I am ashamed I have to say this, but how do I ping the other computer?

Steven

Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Dotan Cohen

Here, I wrote up a brainstorm idea for Ubuntu. Please read it and
comment or vote here:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18603/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Mike Shaw

Actually you don't need to mess with even setting up a DHCP server
unless you really need/want one. If you just have 2 machines and 1
NIC per machine just plug the cable in connecting the machines, assign
IPs and a default route per machine from the command line and you are
set. Some thing like:

Machine 1
---------------
% sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
% ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
% route add default 192.168.1.2
% ifconfig eth0 up

Machine 2
----------------
% sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
% ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
% route add default 192.168.1.1
% ifconfig eth0 up

Now you should be able to ping, ssh, ftp whatever, providing the
hardware is okay. To get things back to normal just issue:

% ifconfig eth0 down
% route del default
% sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

on each machine and they should go back.

l8r,

Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Mike Shaw

/bin/ping xxxx

where xxxx is either a hostname or ip address

Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Dotan Cohen

> I am ashamed I have to say this, but how do I ping the other computer?

$ ping address.of.other.computer

However, if you do not have a network configured, then the other
computer doesn't even have an address yet.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Steven Vollom

Mike Shaw wrote:
> Actually you don't need to mess with even setting up a DHCP server
> unless you really need/want one. If you just have 2 machines and 1
> NIC per machine just plug the cable in connecting the machines, assign
> IPs and a default route per machine from the command line and you are
> set. Some thing like:
>
> Machine 1
> ---------------
> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
> % ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> % route add default 192.168.1.2
> % ifconfig eth0 up
>

> Machine 2
> ----------------
> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
> % ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
> % route add default 192.168.1.1
> % ifconfig eth0 up
>
> Now you should be able to ping, ssh, ftp whatever, providing the
> hardware is okay. To get things back to normal just issue:
>
> % ifconfig eth0 down
> % route del default
> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
>
> on each machine and they should go back.
>
> l8r,
>
> Mike

I am a bit over my head Mike. Can I use your numbers or do I need to
use existing numbers from my computers. 192.168.0.100 and
192.168.0.101. And is this using the crossover LAN cable directly
connected to the computers or using my router?

I have connection to the Internet with both computers; I may have
configuration errors, but have no way to know that. I just typed the
numbers for google in the address bar and pressed enter, is that the way
to ping an address. When I googled about ping, people talked about
pinging, but now how to ping. Generally they were there to solve other
problems. This is what happened: The server at 216.239.39.99 is taking
too long to respond. It timed out.

My mounting of partitions is so screwed up that it is amazing that I can
use the computer. I have worked around my problems without fixing them
for a long time. Those who are trying to help me are trying to figure a
way to solve my problem without losing my data. No success yet. I got
the crossover cable to try to make a direct connection to find that I
probably need the same things working that I would need using my router.

If I use your command formula and my numbers, what should I expect to
come on my screen? Will it be something that shows a similar screen of
both computers? Will I be able to drag and drop, cut and paste, or will
there be a formula to follow to get the data moving. Thanks for any
help you give. Sorry to be a trouble.

Steven

Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Steven Vollom

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Here, I wrote up a brainstorm idea for Ubuntu. Please read it and
> comment or vote here:
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18603/

I can't speak for others, but I think the idea is genius, Dotan. Wish I
were able to help.

Steven

Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a crossover cable. *I would like to transfer data from one
> computer to another using the cable.

Why!!!???

You have a perfectly running network with the router you configured
with my -and others- help. So why do you want to go the hard way?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Mike Shaw

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mike Shaw wrote:
>> Actually you don't need to mess with even setting up a DHCP server
>> unless you really need/want one. *If you just have 2 machines and 1
>> NIC per machine just plug the cable in connecting the machines, assign
>> IPs and a default route per machine from the command line and you are
>> set. *Some thing like:
>>
>> Machine 1
>> ---------------
>> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
>> % ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> % route add default 192.168.1.2
>> % ifconfig eth0 up
>>

>> Machine 2
>> ----------------
>> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
>> % ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> % route add default 192.168.1.1
>> % ifconfig eth0 up
>>
>> Now you should be able to ping, ssh, ftp whatever, providing the
>> hardware is okay. *To get things back to normal just issue:
>>
>> % ifconfig eth0 down
>> % route del default
>> % sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
>>
>> on each machine and they should go back.
>>
>> l8r,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I am a bit over my head Mike. *Can I use your numbers or do I need to
> use existing numbers from my computers. *192.168.0.100 and
> 192.168.0.101. *And is this using the crossover LAN cable directly
> connected to the computers or using my router?

Yes you can use the above IPs provided you use them in the same spot I
used mine, i.e. you swap your 192.168.0.100 with my 192.168.1.1 and do
the same with the 192.168.10.101 and 192.168.0.101. Otherwise you can
use my commands with the IPs provided.

The commands I gave you were primarily for using a crossover cable.
If you throw something in between it may or may not work depending on
your router. So leave it out for the the transfer. Removing the
router takes out one more piece that could case a problem in your
transfer.

> I have connection to the Internet with both computers; *I may have
> configuration errors, but have no way to know that. *I just typed the
> numbers for google in the address bar and pressed enter, is that the way
> to ping an address. *When I googled about ping, people talked about
> pinging, but now how to ping. *Generally they were there to solve other
> problems. *This is what happened: *The server at 216.239.39.99 is taking
> too long to respond. *It timed out.

hmmmmm. Well looks like you need to review the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

The above should help clear up ping and the world of ICMP. There are
wiki more pages let alone books if you want to dive deeper into
things.

> My mounting of partitions is so screwed up that it is amazing that I can
> use the computer. *I have worked around my problems without fixing them
> for a long time. *Those who are trying to help me are trying to figure a
> way to solve my problem without losing my data. *No success yet. *I got
> the crossover cable to try to make a direct connection to find that I
> probably need the same things working that I would need using my router.
>
> If I use your command formula and my numbers, what should I expect to
> come on my screen? *Will it be something that shows a similar screen of
> both computers? *Will I be able to drag and drop, cut and paste, or will
> there be a formula to follow to get the data moving. *Thanks for any
> help you give. *Sorry to be a trouble.

None of the commands I listed will reply with anything back EXCEPT the
sudo /etc/init.d/networking commands, I believe. If you want to check
the commands you check them like this:

To check your live networking config for interface eth0
% ifconfig eth0

To check your currently set routing table
% netstat -rn

You will have to issue this on each machine seperately. Unfortunately
unless setup a Samba server and turn on sharing. You won't see
anything automagically in any browser. When networking is up and
running you don't automagically get icons on your screen. It just
doesn't work that way unless someone else has configured things to do
this.

So if the above ifconfig commands report you are UP and an IP is set
you should be part way there. If on each machine the Gateway is
reported to be the opposite's machine IP, then you are step farther.
If you can "ping" the others IP then you have confirmed connectivity.
Next you need to decide how you are going to transfer. On Linux,
ssh/scp/sfp possibly rsync is usually the easist since if you loaded
networking the client and hopefully the server software was loaded.
Test this by sshing to the other machine and logging in. If you want
to do an ssh transfer graphically then Konquerer is easiest for my
money and comes standard in Kubuntu. Just drop a fish url, i.e.
fish://192.168.1.1/, using the other machine's IP in the location bar
and you will be asked for an id and password.

l8r,

Mike