-   -   Home Email Server? The OLD days... (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/262439-home-email-server-old-days.html)

Ric Moore 03-13-2009 02:44 AM

Home Email Server? The OLD days...

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 15:09 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:

> >> rulesets rule!
> >>
> >> /me pretending to be a sendmail bigot
> >>

> > I took a sendmail class for 4 days at Redhat, about 7 years ago.
> >
> > Guess how much I remember?
> >
> > Answer: Very little. :) Ric
> >

> Ha!
>
> I actually supported a farm of sendmails for about a year until I
> replaced them with postfix when I worked at an email service provider.
>
> I even have a cdb patch for sendmail based on an existing inhouse mysql
> patch that I have updated for 8.14.x on sourceforge.
>
> Now I too remember squat.
>
> I did not know Redhat had sendmail classes. I also don't remember seeing
> anything like sendmail needed for RHCA...them classes are just for your
> own benefit?

I forget the name of the feller in North Carolina that taught the class.
He knew sendmail and inside and out and did sendmail consulting as part
of his services. Darn sharp guy. Some of us in-house took the course and
I'm guessing that he had some of his clients there as well. Red Hat used
to have outside vendors there all the time, back in Bob Young's days. I
was in the old Installation Support group and they encouraged us to
participate in any of the classes that were held in their offices in the
Research Triangle Park. (RTP)

At any rate, the final exam was to set up sendmail to forward to the
next guy's workstation and his sent it to the next, etc, until it
returned back to the instructors machine. Whoever botched up their
configuration, stopping the forward process, failed. Guess who botched
up? I felt miserable as I thought I understood it. I guess I either
didn't or made a typo. Thank the Lord we didn't have to actually use
sendmail in the regular support scheme of things. We had guys that
billed the large dollars to do that. Back in those days just figuring
out what IRQ did what and when kept us busy. The earlier days of Linux
(1996-98) were a real trial, just getting sound and network cards to
work. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987

David McGlone 03-13-2009 10:43 AM

On Thursday 12 March 2009 11:44:04 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 15:09 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:

> > > I took a sendmail class for 4 days at Redhat, about 7 years ago.
> > >
> > > Guess how much I remember?
> > >
> > > Answer: Very little. :) Ric
> >
> > Ha!
> >
> > I actually supported a farm of sendmails for about a year until I
> > replaced them with postfix when I worked at an email service provider.
> >
> > I even have a cdb patch for sendmail based on an existing inhouse mysql
> > patch that I have updated for 8.14.x on sourceforge.
> >
> > Now I too remember squat.
> >
> > I did not know Redhat had sendmail classes. I also don't remember seeing
> > anything like sendmail needed for RHCA...them classes are just for your
> > own benefit?
>
> I forget the name of the feller in North Carolina that taught the class.
> He knew sendmail and inside and out and did sendmail consulting as part
> of his services. Darn sharp guy. Some of us in-house took the course and
> I'm guessing that he had some of his clients there as well. Red Hat used
> to have outside vendors there all the time, back in Bob Young's days. I
> was in the old Installation Support group and they encouraged us to
> participate in any of the classes that were held in their offices in the
> Research Triangle Park. (RTP)
>
> At any rate, the final exam was to set up sendmail to forward to the
> next guy's workstation and his sent it to the next, etc, until it
> returned back to the instructors machine. Whoever botched up their
> configuration, stopping the forward process, failed. Guess who botched
> up? I felt miserable as I thought I understood it. I guess I either
> didn't or made a typo. Thank the Lord we didn't have to actually use
> sendmail in the regular support scheme of things. We had guys that
> billed the large dollars to do that. Back in those days just figuring
> out what IRQ did what and when kept us busy. The earlier days of Linux
> (1996-98) were a real trial, just getting sound and network cards to
> work. <grins> Ric

I can relate to this. Sometimes I google my old e-mail address' from back in
those days and some of the questions I asked back then seem so childish. LOL.

Here's a good example of some of the questions I sent to the KDE list back in
2000 about a year or 2 after I started using linux.

"I have to setup my modem each time I long into linux. I open a terminal
and type setserial /dev/ttySx port 0x000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig
setserial /dev/ttySx uart16550A

where "x" is alternated between 1 and 3 each time I log in. I added these
lines to the /etc/rc.d rc.local file so it would remember everything but its
not working. what I don't understand is it worked when I first installed it
with no problem then I ended up having to move my modem to another slot in
the tower because windows was not finding it. any suggestions?

David M.
--
Send posts to: kde@lists.netcentral.net
Send all commands to: kde-request@lists.netcentral.net

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net

Derek Broughton 03-13-2009 12:47 PM

Ric Moore wrote:

> The earlier days of Linux
> (1996-98) were a real trial, just getting sound and network cards to
> work. <grins> Ric

And video... Kids these days just don't know how easy they have it :-)

I used to boot into a flashing screen (blanking about twice/second), where I
had to manage to log into a console between the flashes (the keyboard also
only worked when the console was visible). That was easy enough, once I
got the rhythm, for the username, but really tricky for the password, as it
was impossible to tell whether I'd hit the key at the right time. Once
logged in, I could execute some command that would reset the video, and
then restart kdm. I must have done this for THREE months before getting
the video card configured correctly - and of course we didn't have
hibernation in those days, so I had to do this at least once a day.

And despite that, it was still an improvement over Windows 95.
--
derek