Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q; How to enter unicode characters directly from the keyboard?

Every now and then, I need to enter an unusual Unicode character that is
not accessible either from the keyboard or via the compose key.

Does anyone know of a generic way to enter a unicode character directly
from the keyboard if one knows its character number?

A couple of the more common examples that I find myself wanting to use
every two or three weeks would be U+266D and U+266F (the musical flat [*]
and sharp [♯] symbols, respectively).

In principle, I know that I could edit the file that defines the
substitutions performed by compose (I remember having done that in the dim,
distant past, although I no longer recall the details); but really I'm
looking for a more generic mechanism in which I don't need to know what
characters I'm going to need and then edit configuration files in advance.

It seems like something like this must exist in something as advanced and
multinational as Kubuntu, but I couldn't find anything with Google (maybe
using the wrong search terms?).

(kcharmap works -- it's what I used to enter the flat and sharp symbols
above -- but it's pretty clumsy, basically requiring one to start a new
application, find the character, copy it to the clipboard, then paste it;
it would be quite a bit simpler just to type a key combination as envisaged
by ISO 14755.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR