Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Norberto Bensa

Default scanner in kde 4.2?

Hello list,

on KDE 3.x we used kooka for image scanning.

Now that kooka has been dropped from kdegraphics, what are you using
for image scanning in KDE 4.2 (intrepid/jaunty)?

TIA,
Norberto

Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Willy Hamra

2009/3/13 Norberto Bensa <nbensa@gmail.com>:
> Hello list,
>
> on KDE 3.x we used kooka for image scanning.
>
> Now that kooka has been dropped from kdegraphics, what are you using
> for image scanning in KDE 4.2 (intrepid/jaunty)?

i use skanlite

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Steven Vollom

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> on KDE 3.x we used kooka for image scanning.
>
> Now that kooka has been dropped from kdegraphics, what are you using
> for image scanning in KDE 4.2 (intrepid/jaunty)?
>

> TIA,
> Norberto
>
> xsane image scanner is in my Intrepid 64bit, Norberto. I don't recall installing it, so it must be the intrepid default. I don't have my scanner installed yet, though. But everything I have installed in Intrepid has been easy and worked good after installation, except networking, and that is my shortcoming.
Steven

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Norberto Bensa <nbensa@gmail.com>:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> on KDE 3.x we used kooka for image scanning.
>>
>> Now that kooka has been dropped from kdegraphics, what are you using
>> for image scanning in KDE 4.2 (intrepid/jaunty)?
>>

> i use skanlite

skanlite doesn't seem to support network scanning. I have sane on a
server where the scanner is attached.

I'll continue my search.

Thanks Willy

Regards,
Norberto

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Norberto Bensa

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Steven Vollom
<stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> xsane image scanner is in my Intrepid 64bit, Norberto. *I don't recall installing it, so it must be the intrepid default. *I don't have my scanner installed yet, though. But everything I have installed in Intrepid has been easy and worked good after installation, except networking, and that is my shortcoming.
> Steven

Yup. Xsane works. Thanks Steven.

I wrote to the list 'cos my scanner was crashing when I selected
gray/color and I thought it was xsane's fault. It seems that pluging
the scanner into another usb port fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Norberto

Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Kaj Haulrich

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> on KDE 3.x we used kooka for image scanning.
>
> Now that kooka has been dropped from kdegraphics, what are you using
> for image scanning in KDE 4.2 (intrepid/jaunty)?

If you want open-source : xsane (frontend for SANE - Scanner Access
Now Easy)
If you want professional scanner options - like fine-tuning
everything and a huge number of supported scanners, including
negative film scanners, drum scanners etc. - use Vuescan (excellent
linux support, but a bit expensive).

Kaj Haulrich.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Derek Broughton

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> I wrote to the list 'cos my scanner was crashing when I selected
> gray/color and I thought it was xsane's fault. It seems that pluging
> the scanner into another usb port fixed the problem.

That's a solution that gets less attention than it deserves. I've had the
weirdest things happen when a USB port is flaky, or possibly when a
particular device/port combination is bad. I had one USB hub with 1 bad
port - plugging anything into it must have shorted it, because it promptly
drew too much power and shut down the whole USB bus. That part wasn't so
odd, but the things that would seem to have no connection to a USB bus that
stopped working were so odd that I was led on a wild goose chase for weeks
before I discovered the power short.

The moral being that any time a USB device isn't working, try connecting to
a different port; and any time _anything_ inexplicable is happening, start
by removing all USB devices.
--
derek

Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Glenn R Williams

On Friday 13 March 2009 08:33:52 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > I wrote to the list 'cos my scanner was crashing when I selected
> > gray/color and I thought it was xsane's fault. It seems that pluging
> > the scanner into another usb port fixed the problem.
>
> That's a solution that gets less attention than it deserves. I've had the
> weirdest things happen when a USB port is flaky, or possibly when a
> particular device/port combination is bad. I had one USB hub with 1 bad
> port - plugging anything into it must have shorted it, because it promptly
> drew too much power and shut down the whole USB bus. That part wasn't so
> odd, but the things that would seem to have no connection to a USB bus that
> stopped working were so odd that I was led on a wild goose chase for weeks
> before I discovered the power short.
>
> The moral being that any time a USB device isn't working, try connecting to
> a different port; and any time _anything_ inexplicable is happening, start
> by removing all USB devices.
> --
> derek

Very true. If I forget to unplug my USB Ipod Shuffle and reboot, the system
hangs in the middle of rebooting with no message until I remember and unplug
the USB.

Glenn

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Dotan Cohen

> The moral being that any time a USB device isn't working, try connecting to
> a different port;

Good adivce, and something that I've known for a while. I don't go for
just another port, though, I try to get on a different bus (front /
back panel ; PCI card).

> and any time _anything_ inexplicable is happening, start
> by removing all USB devices.

I wouldn't _start_ there, but I will keep it in mind. I assume that
"anything" referrs to any south bridge component, not really
"anything". If my CDROM won't come out, I wouldn't start
troubleshooting by disabling USB.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> The moral being that any time a USB device isn't working, try connecting
>> to a different port;
>
> Good adivce, and something that I've known for a while. I don't go for
> just another port, though, I try to get on a different bus (front /
> back panel ; PCI card).

Yes, that's usually best.

>> and any time _anything_ inexplicable is happening, start
>> by removing all USB devices.
>
> I wouldn't _start_ there, but I will keep it in mind. I assume that
> "anything" referrs to any south bridge component, not really
> "anything".

Possibly - I don't know how many people would know which components those
were :-)

> If my CDROM won't come out, I wouldn't start
> troubleshooting by disabling USB.

Can it hurt? :-)
--
derek