-   -   Common call for launching file browser (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/261799-common-call-launching-file-browser.html)

Alain Muls 03-12-2009 07:30 AM

Common call for launching file browser

Hi All

I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses

explorer c:mydir

What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?

Tx/ALain

Jonas Norlander 03-12-2009 08:38 AM

2009/3/12 Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:
> Hi All
>
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for
> both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which
> opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both
> KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?
>
> Tx/ALain

I think what you looking for is the xdg-open command from the
xdg-utils package. http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

/ Jonas

Nils Kassube 03-12-2009 08:45 AM

Alain Muls wrote:
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt
> for both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality
> which opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She
> uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work
> in both KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window
> managers)?

There was a thread recently on ubuntu-devel-discuss starting here:
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2009-February/006833.html>
Not sure if that helps though.

Nils

Brian McKee 03-12-2009 12:19 PM

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for
> both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which
> opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both
> KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?

Try xdg-open

see http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/ for more info. I don't know
how widely adopted this is currently

(in other words, I know it works on Gnome - I'll leave the testing of
the others to you :-)

Brian

Charlie Kravetz 03-12-2009 12:34 PM

Common call for launching file browser

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:30:20 +0100
Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt
> for both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality
> which opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She
> uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work
> in both KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window
> managers)?
>
> Tx/ALain

I do not know that there can be a single linux equivalent. Windows is a
single operating system that uses "explorer.exe" as a file manager.
Linux is a very wide range of operating systems all based on the kernel
written by Linus.

"thunar" is the file manager for Xfce, "nautilus" is the file manager
used by gnome, etc. You don't have these choices of file managers in
windows. It is "explorer" because there is no other.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Derek Broughton 03-12-2009 01:55 PM

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for
>> both systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which
>> opens the file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>>
>> explorer c:mydir
>>
>> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in
>> both KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?
>
> Try xdg-open

Glad you could remmber it. I knew it existed.

> see http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/ for more info. I don't know
> how widely adopted this is currently
>
> (in other words, I know it works on Gnome - I'll leave the testing of
> the others to you :-)

If you look at the code, you'll see it's written for Gnome, KDE and XFCE -
and I can attest it works for KDE.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 03-12-2009 01:58 PM

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> I do not know that there can be a single linux equivalent. Windows is a
> single operating system that uses "explorer.exe" as a file manager.
> Linux is a very wide range of operating systems all based on the kernel
> written by Linus.

tsk, tsk :-)

Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!

As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult (as
xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the desktop - or
it could be done through the "alternatives" system.
--
derek

Charlie Kravetz 03-12-2009 05:41 PM

Common call for launching file browser

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:58:16 -0300
Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>
> > I do not know that there can be a single linux equivalent. Windows
> > is a single operating system that uses "explorer.exe" as a file
> > manager. Linux is a very wide range of operating systems all based
> > on the kernel written by Linus.
>
> tsk, tsk :-)
>
> Charlie, you _know_ this is Linux - we can do anything!
>
> As long as you can identify the desktop, it can't be that difficult
> (as xdg-open shows) to invoked the appropriate application for the
> desktop - or it could be done through the "alternatives" system.

(hanging my head in shame)
yes, I should have known that. Thanks for the reminder.

--
Charlie Kravetz

tom bell 03-12-2009 06:07 PM

Common call for launching file browser

On 03/12/2009 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com scribbled:
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:30:20 +0100
> From: Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>
> Subject: Common call for launching file browser
> To: "kubuntu-users" <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>, "ubuntu-users"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi All
>
> I work in a team (windows and linux) which develop programs using Qt for both
> systems. One of the windows team has created a functionality which opens the
> file browser (explorer) to browse through files. She uses
>
> explorer c:mydir
>
> What is a linux equivalent for doing a similar thing that will work in both
> KDE and GNOME (and perhaps also XFCE or other window managers)?
>
> Tx/ALain

I opened a konsole and typed "firefox /home" and it went through. I am
unfamiliar with the protocol for calling the same from within other
programs, but it should be the same or something similar. Of course,
from there the user can select the user directory and so on...

Tom Bell
--
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” - Juvenal, Roman poet, circa late 1st
and late 2nd centuries.