Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Common call for launching file browser

Victor Padro wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Derek Broughton
> <derek@pointerstop.ca>wrote:
>

>> In KDE it opens a "file" _with_ the file manager ("kfmclient"). It
>> doesn't leave you _in_ the file manager, because that isn't what you
>> asked it to
>> do. However, if you ask it to open a directory ("xdg-open ~"), then sure
>> enough you get a file browser. Perhaps you can't do that in Gnome :-(
>
> can someone using KDE(kubuntu) could do this on the konsole:
> youruser@yourmachine:/# konqueror /home/username (or any other directory)
> maybe it works.

Of course it works. _Why_ would I do that? It forces a _new_ konqueror,
when I expect everything to open in the same window. It doesn't honor my
session settings. It's just an all-round bad way to start a konqueror
session. xdg-open uses kfmclient, because that's the correct way to start
the file manager in KDE (and Dotan, I think it's still the way in Intrepid,
whether you're using Dolphin or Konqueror as your file manager).
--
derek